2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mediterranean-type diet once again proven to be, beneficial. New large study.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mediterranean-style diets found to cut heart risks
February 25, 2013 by Marilynn Marchione in Cardiology.

Pour on the olive oil, preferably over fish and vegetables: One of the longest and most scientific tests of a Mediterranean diet suggests this style of eating can cut the chance of suffering heart-related problems, especially strokes, in older people at high risk of them.

The study lasted five years and involved about 7,500 people in Spain. Those who ate Mediterranean-style with lots of olive oil or nuts had a 30 percent lower risk of major cardiovascular problems compared to others who were told to follow a low-fat diet. Mediterranean meant lots of fruit, fish, chicken, beans, tomato sauce, salads, and wine and little baked goods and pastries.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personally, I've been following, more or less, this diet. The exceptions are eating 6 to 8 steaks a year and more beer than wine.

I went through a complete bodily "oil change" some years ago by using only olive oil and occasionally canola oil (for popcorn).

I feel good and, by golly, I look good too. (Laugh track here.)

The three pillars of good health are Diet, Attitidue and Exercise. All three are things we can control.

As for diet, in addtion to the Mediterranean-style, I recommend ingesting food with no or very little chemicals like preservatives, colorings and flavorings.

Having an eternally positive attitude and outlook is the best way to relieve stress and also control behavoir which is necessary to make changes in your life.

Exercise, for me, consists of riding my bicycle 15 miles 2 or 3 times a week. It's a full tilt ride with a "beer" rest every five miles as I make my way around town to attend various musical events and visit friends. I'm lucky enough and had enough foresight to have bought my house 20 years ago within biking distance of downtown and campus.

It's up to the individual to create the ways and means to stay healthy.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, good advice.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Works for us.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great but remember olive oil has Calories too.  Ditto with the pizza you fiends.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 25 2013, 9:46 am)
Those who ate Mediterranean-style with lots of olive oil or nuts had a 30 percent lower risk of major cardiovascular problems compared to others who were told to follow a low-fat diet.

One of the nutrition Facebook pages I follow posted a picture last week that said:
"When you see FAT FREE and LOW FAT, think CHEMICAL SH*T STORM"

There is a lot of truth in this, I would rather just have the real stuff in moderation than a chemicalized low fat version of the real thing.  Now to put my preaching into practice....!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am blessed with liking all foods in general.  Rich, gourmet dining? Sure.  But I love bland hospital and airline food too!  All good.  :D

So, when cooking at home, I simply stick with bland.  I don't use any butter or oil at all -- and very little seasoning of any kind.  My typical dinner:

1.  A fillet of fish - lightly seasoned -- broiled.
2.  Steamed fresh veggies -- no seasoning whatsoever.
3.  Steamed rice.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Feb. 25 2013, 1:33 pm)

(desert dweller @ Feb. 25 2013, 9:46 am)
Those who ate Mediterranean-style with lots of olive oil or nuts had a 30 percent lower risk of major cardiovascular problems compared to others who were told to follow a low-fat diet.

One of the nutrition Facebook pages I follow posted a picture last week that said:
"When you see FAT FREE and LOW FAT, think CHEMICAL SH*T STORM"

There is a lot of truth in this, I would rather just have the real stuff in moderation than a chemicalized low fat version of the real thing.  Now to put my preaching into practice....!

That is so true.

Butter is ultimately better for you than margerine even though it contains saturated fats. Those are less harmful than the transfats, flavorings, preservatives, colorings and stableizers found in margerine.

Same with eggs. The egg substitutes are full of chemicals also. The chemical/food companies tout that studies show there are no long term effects. But, guess what, we are the long term study.

Look at it this way. Our bodies evolved to handle "natural" substances we injest and can't always "handle" the artifical stuff we put into it.

Sure, most animal products and some plant based oils are saturated. But, be wise in how to eat. Let "all things in moderation" be your working mantra.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that it also has a lot to do with how you eat, not just what you eat.
A typical Mediterranean meal is peppered (...) with conversation.
That slows your eating down and may just account for some extra mastication .
too many focus on raw numbers (calories,proteins,fats) forgetting the simple pleasure that eating can give.
That pleasure, in my book, works a lot better than numbers.
My father always used to say (having English tourists in mind...) "only horses eat standing"
I think he had a point.
Anyway my take is that a happy and healthy life has nothing to do with studies,charts,experts,diets,courses per se but with having the right attitude.
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 25 2013, 2:40 pm)
Sounds great but remember olive oil has Calories too.  Ditto with the pizza you fiends.

The health benefit from olive oil has strictly to do with the types of fats it contains, not whether or not it has calories.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
9 replies since Feb. 25 2013, 9:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mediterranean-type diet once again proven to be
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions