2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for a cheap old laptop, With an LPT connection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heya folks,

I'm gearing up for a science expedition to Greenland (it's been my full-time job the past month, arranging every detail from National Guard Hercules flights and SAR insurance down to what bolts will fit with our charge controllers to use with the solar panels, etc).  Anyhoo, part of my job is to run GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) in the field.  I have an old MALA/RAMAC GPR system, and it plugs into a laptop via an old LPT connection (printer port, before everything went USB).

They make USB/LPT adapters these days, but they (the guys at the NSIDC I'm borrowing the radar from) say they've tried every adapter known to man with this system, and it seems it won't communicate with anything except a native LPT port, not through an adapter.  I have an old Dell with an LPT on a media docking station, and I couldn't get it to communicate with that.  Dunno what it is with the protocol the system uses, but it needs an LPT on the computer tied directly to the motherboard.

Since I only have one (1) laptop that'll work right now, and a laptop is a potential failure point, I'm looking for a second laptop.  Doesn't have to be new and fancy-schmancy... in fact an old WinXP box would be great.  It just needs to have an LPT port in the back.  And I don't have a large budget for this, so the cheaper the better.

Can anyone help?  You would, in fact, be helping science.  I could fill you in on everything we'll be doing up there if you're curious.  It's a backup so hopefully it wouldn't be used, but I'd hate to be stuck out there without one if the 1st laptop fails on day 2 of 28 on the ice sheet.

Let me know, and thanks!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure you've checked Craigslist?  I was looking for a replacement for my Thinkpad and saw tons of older laptops for less than $100.  Your biggest problem is going to be getting a good battery for whatever you find.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll check when I get home, but we've got an old one that still has XP and if we didn't pitch it I think we've got one that is running 95. I'll check out the XP one and see what the ports on the back are. It's yours if it will work for you. We'll have to wipe the drive but if you're willing to do the reinstalls, it's yours.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll dig through my garage and see what I can find. I won't promise anything but I might have one...strangely.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 25 2013, 3:57 pm)
Your biggest problem is going to be getting a good battery for whatever you find.

While running I'll plug it into a power inverter connected to a 75-lb 12V gel-cell battery all day (think big cold-weather truck battery) that we recharge on the gas generator each night, so power isn't a major issue.  I just need a laptop with an LPT that works.

Thanks for the help y'all!  If you find anything that'd work, let me know. :)  We'll pay shipping, and chip in a bit for the laptop itself if needed.  Several people suggested Craigslist, so I'm going to look there next.  I tried eBay but most folks don't seem to sell truly old computers there... just 2-3 years old or newer it seems.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let me see what I have at work tomorrow. It seems like there was a Toughbook floating around. I'm thinking it got.....got,  cause I haven't tripped over it in awhile.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 7
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No laptop, but I have a couple of slide rules you can use

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 8
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 25 2013, 6:15 pm)
No laptop, but I have a couple of slide rules you can use

:D

God I love you.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Feb. 25 2013, 3:58 pm)
We'll have to wipe the drive but if you're willing to do the reinstalls, it's yours.

Yeah, I can do the installs.  No sweat.  Lemme know.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our old one doesn't have the port you're looking for but hubby says he has a couple of old ones in the basement that have the ports you're looking for. What time frame are you looking at? He'll need some time to first locate one and then work on it. The battery will be the issue however.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duh, just read your follow up post on the battery, so nevermind :)

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Craiglist lead for one locally that'd probably work, for $30.  If that falls through I'll let y'all know, but in the meantime that's probably close to being as cheap as shipping one halfway 'cross the country.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good deal, although I'd love the opportunity to ditch some of the computer junk sitting around the house!! Let me know if it falls thru :)

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Feb. 25 2013, 6:55 pm)
Good deal, although I'd love the opportunity to ditch some of the computer junk sitting around the house!! Let me know if it falls thru :)

Our local Landfill actually lets us take them in for recycling for free (no printers though). You might check.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't I wish hubby would go for that. Only for a worthy cause will he let his computer stuff go. We're talking about the man who moved around a bucket full of rusty nuts and bolts for years. Its the only time I've nagged my husband and it only took ten years for him to finally get rid of the bucket o bolts.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got an old Dell Latitude D600 that looks to have the port you need. It's yours if you need it.
 Post Number: 17
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike, I have one, but the battery is dead.   It's a Dell Latitude D505... got it in 2005.   It has XP on it and was working fine until the battery croaked.  

I would want to delete all of my old data before you take it.  

So, another local option it others fall through.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 18
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Feb. 25 2013, 6:13 pm)
Let me see what I have at work tomorrow. It seems like there was a Toughbook floating around. I'm thinking it got.....got,  cause I haven't tripped over it in awhile.

Its gone. Sorry.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just picked one up today for $20 cash.  An old Gateway running XP Pro.  The laptop seems to work well, although I haven't installed and tested the software and radar system with it yet.  Hopefully it all syncs up and works.

If not, I might bump the thread to try and find another.  Thanks y'all!

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
18 replies since Feb. 25 2013, 5:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for a cheap old laptop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions