2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for a New Washer/Dryer Combo, WARNING: Totally Not Backpacking Related< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to replace the washer and dryer combo in a rental unit.  I am looking at three different models:

1.  Kenmore
2.  Maytag
3.  LG

#1 is what I myself have -- I purchased it three months ago and really like it -- but the reviews are scary (I didn't read the reviews when shopping last year).

#2 is similar to #1 but with much better reviews.

#3 is the sexiest by far -- but I have no experience with "condensing dryer" other than hearsay that they take "forever" to dry.

The apt. doesn't have venting for the dryer, but the current one is the traditional venting type and has been doing fine for almost 30 years.  I am looking for continued reliability.  Any thoughts -- esp. re. #3?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at Lowe's or HD, and check out the Whirlpool line.  Or, you could drop by Consumer Reports for a more scientific review.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had front-loading LG washer and dryer in our last house and they were very good, though my wife was less than impressed with the washer.

We just purchased a Samsung front loading WD combo for our new house... in Consumer Reports LG and Samsung dominate the top makes. We use a gas dryer which dries far faster than electric. In the Gas Dryer Category LG and Samsung especially dominate.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Brad -- the LG gas drier/washer combo -- do you have a model name or can you give me a link, please?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 2:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went through this torture about nine months ago and included Consumer Reports in my torture. I ended up with an LG washer (haven't replaced the dryer). Front Loading model - I ended up with white to save an extra $100. All I can say is WOW! My dryer doesn't have to work even half as hard anymore because the clothes come out of the washer much drier. They come out so much cleaner and...my new dryer is so quiet I can actually leave the door open to the laundry room and barely hear the washing machine now. I'll look up the model I ended up with in the morning if you are curious. I bought mine at Sears.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 25 2013, 10:21 pm)
Hi Brad -- the LG gas drier/washer combo -- do you have a model name or can you give me a link, please?

Ben, we bought that set in 08' and they change model no.s like underwear so I don't know.

Why not Samsung... Korea?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Side note - According to Consumer Reports, around 80% of the washer/dryer brands were all made by the same three companies. They said to avoid the rest and price has nothing to do with how they performed.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rental unit? Craigslist whatever you want.
Renters are famous for ruining your new stuff.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brad:  I don't care about brand nationality (LG is Korean too).

Tigger:  Which three?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 26 2013, 10:00 am)
Brad:  I don't care about brand nationality (LG is Korean too).

Tigger:  Which three?

It doesn't let you read their ratings for free (although LG came out on top) but the last page is where they talk about specific brands. I don't remember the exact tier of who owns what but this will probably help.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/washing-machines/buying-guide.htm

--------------
 Post Number: 11
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've had a Samsung washer/dryer combo for six years now and are happy. The dryer unit went out last year but we had bought the extended warranty so it was fixed for free. Normally I'd never buy the extended warranty but since it was a brand new unit with all kinds of new eletrical gadgets on it, it seemed like a wise idea. Turned out it was.

The washer is nice because it only puts as much water as needed to wash the clothes. It's a nice feature if you only want to wash a couple of things, saves on energy and water. We could tell a difference in our energy bill. The dryer is a little hinky with the sensor dry. I'll open it up with 10 minutes left and the clothes will be dry. Other than that it seems to dry everything pretty quickly as long as the lint trap stays clean. Any hint of lint on the trap and it really slows it down. Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wrinkle prevent and the wrinkle release features.

Overall, six years later I'm still happy with them. When they need replaced there's a good chance I'd replace them with another pair of Samsungs.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anya (and anyone else who knows) -- is your dryer the 'condensing' type?  I'd like to know more about this type of dryer from actual users.  Do they take longer?  Is it a hassle having to drain the water and clean the condensing coils?

--------------
 Post Number: 13
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never heard of a condensing type dryer, so mine is not that type. Unless I've totally missed something. I'd venture to say the hassle would come in on how often you have to drain the water and clean the coils.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 14
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the GE profile with the water saver settings, and it doesn't have that ginormous agitator that shreds the clothes.  I like it a lot, and since we pay for water now, every little bit helps.  We are very happy with the GE and we got it at Lowe's 3 years ago when we bought our house.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton

Isn't that the truth?
 Post Number: 15
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 26 2013, 3:58 pm)
Anya (and anyone else who knows) -- is your dryer the 'condensing' type?  I'd like to know more about this type of dryer from actual users.  Do they take longer?  Is it a hassle having to drain the water and clean the condensing coils?

The venting dryer uses the air in the house to heat up inside the drum to dry the clothes and then the damp hot air is dumped outside through a vent.

The condensing version heats up the air inside the drum and pulls the moisture out through a cooling system outside of the drum.

The issue with this system is that it creates heat within the home and if you dont have the condensed water piped to a drain, you will have to drain the water yourself.

Have you considered a washer/dryer combo unit?

Also look at Conns Furniture.

I purchased my washer and dryer from them and get a really good deal as well as delivery and setup.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Maytag neptune stacking ones. Have had to have the washer serviced several times.  I had the Kenmores before for about 17 years with not one servicing! And they only blew when my house power circuit breaker blew for good and had to be replaced.  I will prob go back to Kenmore when the Maytag goes...

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
15 replies since Feb. 25 2013, 6:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for a New Washer/Dryer Combo
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions