2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: On the Ph.D. track.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, looks like I'm stuck in Colorado for quite a bit longer now. I just got accepted into a Ph.D. program here in Boulder. Straight from undergrad to Ph.D. track...exciting and very intimidating! I hope to be a great plant evolutionary ecologist someday. More interested in ecology (and human-plant interactions) than the evolution side of it, though. Now the truly tough work begins.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!  Was this PhD program your first choice?  Don't answer if your advisor reads here.  :)  Not often we hear of going straight to PhD from Bach. degree.  You must be one of the bright ones.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few friends in the eBio PhD program.  I could introduce you if you want.  It might be handy, especially down the line when trying to pick an adviser (knowing who to watch out for, etc).  Did they offer you funding?

In the meantime, welcome. :)  And congrats!  I'm about a year from finishing mine.  If you decide to research the polar regions we might cross paths in the field.

BTW, I still have your mini-fridge in my office.  Lemme know if you want that back (my office mates would kick me if they knew I was offering that back, lol, but... it is yours after all).

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Under the circumstances, having been the victim of a horrendous car accident in November, and having missed so many graduate school applications and having been forced to submit so many late ones, this school (pays more) and this adviser (most interesting research I was considering) was indeed my top choice. I have a disgusting lab exam in the morning that may bar me from celebrating the way I should tonight.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you got funding, and already have an adviser you wanna work with.  Awesome!  :D

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 26 2013, 7:41 pm)
I have a few friends in the eBio PhD program.  I could introduce you if you want.  It might be handy, especially down the line when trying to pick an adviser (knowing who to watch out for, etc).  Did they offer you funding?

In the meantime, welcome. :)  And congrats!  I'm about a year from finishing mine.  If you decide to research the polar regions we might cross paths in the field.

BTW, I still have your mini-fridge in my office.  Lemme know if you want that back (my office mates would kick me if they knew I was offering that back, lol, but... it is yours after all).

- Mike

Haha! I have been meaning to get that one of these weeks. I'll be in touch. Looks like I'll have to find somewhere to live here that is a little more permanently desirable, and a fridge would be good.

I have my adviser already, but I suppose there is a committee to be selected. I think soon is the time to start reading through those program details a little more closely.

I've been indeed offered TA funding, which was what I was shooting for at this point. Looking forward to hopefully teaching more plant courses than general biology courses. We'll see!

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 26 2013, 7:45 pm)
Sounds like you got funding, and already have an adviser you wanna work with.  Awesome!  :D

Yeah, in EBIO, an adviser actually has to stand up during the admissions process and advocate for your admission. Otherwise, no deal.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like some challenging -- and exciting -- years ahead!  Congrats!!  :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats, though most biology programs want you to go straight for the PhD now (no MSci. option anymore).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried for a few bachelors-to-PhD positions when I was doing my applications years ago.  I couldn't get the time of day from most of the professors I approached.

How'd you manage it?

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 11
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 26 2013, 7:22 pm)
Congrats, though most biology programs want you to go straight for the PhD now (no MSci. option anymore).

not IME.  most seemed to want a MS first.  maybe it's something that's changing, though.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 12
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations! I suspect that you are going to be one of the good ones.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 13
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would agree with nate and say MS track is just as common as PhD track. Thanks for the congratulations, all.

Nothing is quite solid in stone yet, as I've only just received the initial decision. But as to how I managed it, a near-flawless transcript record spanning many years and many fields, having personal positive experiences with many of the faculty in my department (many of whom are probably on the graduate decision committee), and strong letters of support probably did it. A decent CV and statement of interest probably helped. My GRE math scores definitely did NOT help me get in. :p

--------------
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations and have fun!
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats again!
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Feb. 26 2013, 5:46 pm)
Haha! I have been meaning to get that one of these weeks. I'll be in touch. Looks like I'll have to find somewhere to live here that is a little more permanently desirable, and a fridge would be good.

I have my adviser already, but I suppose there is a committee to be selected. I think soon is the time to start reading through those program details a little more closely.

I've been indeed offered TA funding, which was what I was shooting for at this point. Looking forward to hopefully teaching more plant courses than general biology courses. We'll see!

No rush on the fridge.  We have no problem keeping it a little longer. :D

Enjoy TA'ing, at least for a year or two.  When you're ready to focus solely on research, it is far easier to get your work done when you're RA'ing for a prof working on a project similar to your PhD work.  Plus, I think RAs make more (dunno how it is in eBio, but it's definitely that way in other departments I know of).  That being said, I wouldn't give up my time TA'ing for anything, it was pretty great.  Enjoy it. :)  My $.02 anyway, worth everything you paid for it.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats! There will be a substantial amount of field work involved, I hope.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Feb. 26 2013, 5:47 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 26 2013, 7:45 pm)

Yeah, in EBIO, an adviser actually has to stand up during the admissions process and advocate for your admission. Otherwise, no deal.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is in the Geography program too.  The selection committee reads all the applications and ranks them on a point scale while weeding those that don't qualify.  But after that it's up to each professor to choose which candidates they want to accept.  Sometimes one or two profs argue over a student.  Sometimes, a highly ranked candidate might not get picked if no prof is interested in their intended work.

It's obvious you did your research ahead of time and got to know the profs you wanted to work with (so you were a face, not just a name on a paper), which could've only helped your admission and funding offer.  Good work.

If you're interested in a fellowship, look up the NSF Graduate Research Fellowships... they're quite prestigious, and only offered to beginning (1st-2nd year) grad students.  Applications are due in November, I think.  I could help you put one together if you're interested... it'd be good funding (more $$ than most TAs or RAs) for three full years and give you complete flexibility to pick whatever adviser and research topic you wanted while working on your degree.  Just a thought anyway.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!

I liked my grad school years, but I don't miss them very much now  :p

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 23
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you enjoy it! Boulder is a good school overall. Only know the medical research  side though... though a colleague's son did do his undergrad there, but in something like lighting design, and he enjoyed it and has a decent career going so it worked for him.

OTOH an MS is useful only when either the school/program or the student is lacking, otherwise for a credible applicant for a doctoral program it's a waste of precious time, the Nike "just do it" applies. That said for those that need the additional credibility a successful masters will give their application it's a great thing, much like a successful junior college experience can  open doors a lacking high school record would not but even moreso as graduate slots are very precious (being in far smaller numbers than undergraduate slots) and committees shy away from potentially "wasting" one on a student who's questionable. A successful masters graduate program can assuage those reservations and granted as funding gets tighter and tighter people's willingness to accept anyone other than a "sure thing" (however THAT is figured out...) does get tighter and tighter... but you never get that time back so I'd advise against the default position being a masters track for those who are definitely desiring going further for reasons of their career area or whatever. When I read a post-doc application I no more pay attention to a masters anymore than what they did in high school or as an undergraduate.

The city is hardly a hardship post either. Good luck!
 Post Number: 24
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Feb. 26 2013, 6:47 pm)

EBIO...almost sounds...disease-ish.  :;):

Congrats.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 1:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Mike, we should meet up again soon. In all honesty, I've been getting by just fine without the fridge, and although it would be more "luxurious," I am more than happy to let people who are getting good use out of it continue to use it. I'd definitely like to discuss your grant experience a bit more extensively. It might be time to look into moving back into the countryside semi-permanently, again. I moved to Boulder due to mountain weather that caused the complete totaling of my car and a traumatic head injury, but I could see enjoying a quieter life a little bit east and much cheaper than B-villa.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 2:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Feb. 27 2013, 1:35 pm)
[quote=Reminiscence,Feb. 26 2013, 6:47 pm][/quote]
EBIO...almost sounds...disease-ish.  :;):

Congrats.

We do offer a Parasitology course. Otherwise, we loathe those people who spend their lives in the lab studying disease molecular biology (not to say that some of them aren't doing great things -just, blah to their lifestyle).

Actually, someone in this department just published a Nature article, I believe, evaluating fungal pathogen prevalence in amphibians as dependent on amphibian biodiversity. I believe prevalence decreases with increasing biodiversity.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, congratualtions and best of luck in your quest.  Personally, I can't imagine going through that grind.  Getting my Master's nearly killed me.  Primarily because of the BS I had to put up with.  That was enough of higher academia for me.  Jeeze talk about people not living in the real world.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 28
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome...!!!  Great news, hikerrr...!!!  Congrats...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't imagine the grind will feel so severe once I'm at my field sites studying plants. Sounds rather soothing, that aspect of it.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Mar. 01 2013, 7:42 pm)
Sounds rather soothing, that aspect of it.

Well I hope so. Got to admit dealing with plants is probably far less stressful than dealing with people which is what I got my masters in. Best of luck, Doctor.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
30 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 7:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply On the Ph.D. track.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions