2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 7 reasons to have another cup< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.popsci.com/science....reasons

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sold on it's benefits already.

I'm also rather twitchy.  Twitchy=healthy, right?  Right!
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't matter about the benefits.  I'm addicted, physically and psychologically :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much like the Highlander, apparently I will live forever.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the claimed benefits are associated with caffiene, rather than coffee specifically. Yet the article says nothing about tea. That's kind of short-sighted, it seems to me.

I think I'll stick with the tea.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 27 2013, 8:57 am)
Some of the claimed benefits are associated with caffiene, rather than coffee specifically. Yet the article says nothing about tea. That's kind of short-sighted, it seems to me.

Caffine is only mentioned in the first two reasons.

Reason number seven mentions massive amounts of antioxidents

7. Coffee is Loaded With Nutrients and Antioxidants
Coffee isn’t just black water.

Many of the nutrients in the coffee beans do make it into the final drink, which actually contains a decent amount of vitamins and minerals.

A cup of coffee contains (30):

6% of the RDA for Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5).
11% of the RDA for Riboflavin (Vitamin B2).
2% of the RDA for Niacin (B3) and Thiamine (B1).
3% of the RDA for Potassium and Manganese.

May not seem like much, but if you drink several cups of coffee per day then this quickly adds up.

But this isn’t all. Coffee also contains a massive amount of antioxidants.

In fact, coffee is the biggest source of antioxidants in the western diet, outranking both fruits and vegetables combined (31, 32, 33).

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:06 am)

Some of the claimed benefits are associated with caffeine, rather than coffee specifically. Yet the article says nothing about tea. That's kind of short-sighted, it seems to me.

Caffine is only mentioned in the first two reasons. . . .

And in neither of those two reasons is tea mentioned. Incidentally, tea is known to also contain a high amount of antioxidants. But tea isn't mentioned there either. That's three out of the seven points made. And there are more.

The article says,
    "I’d also like to point out that many of the studies above were epidemiological in nature. Such studies can only show association, they can not prove that coffee caused the effects."
So neither can they prove what agent in coffee could have caused the effects, if any. Conceivably, that agent differs between coffee and tea in the nutrient question, but in the other reasons given? Not necessarily.

In "risk of death," "risk of type II Diabetes," or "risk of Alzheimer’s," I see no reason to propose a great difference between coffee and tea. Just because the article does not mention caffeine in those points says little about whether caffeine may be an active agent. After all, the article fails to mention relevant points in other places.

The purpose of the article is to bolster the reputation of coffee against rumors of it's possible ill effects. Since tea hasn't had the bad reputation, the writer evidently chose to ignore it, or did not have adequate research to include it — one way or another. And the writer did so in at least six of the seven reasons given — not merely two.

So the article really says little if anything about coffee versus tea. What it focuses on is the new view of coffee versus the old view.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 8
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite line about caffeine, courtesy of National Geographic a few years back: "Most caffeine is consumed to offset the effects of sleep deprivation, which is caused by...excess consumption of caffeine."

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 9
Geo. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From...http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/which-is-higher-in-antioxidants---coffee-or-tea.html

Black tea, oolong tea, and green tea may not be as high in antioxidants as coffee is, but because they can be sipped all day long, they are actually better sources of antioxidants. Tea is rich in polyphenols, which are antioxidants. Tea possibly contains 10 times the amount of polyphenols that are found in fruits and vegetables.

The biggest benefit of tea is that it is healthy for most people to drink six to eight cups of tea per day. When you compare the amount of antioxidants in eight cups of tea to the amount of antioxidants in two cups of coffee, tea wins.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait, I'm not supposed to have 6-8 cups of coffee per day?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i like coffee. the hotter the better. preferably straight from the pot before you put that creamer/sugar crap in it!

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 12
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:42 am)
And in neither of those two reasons is tea mentioned.

Well, it's an article about coffee and its benefits. Probably someone will come along and write an article touting tea, if they haven't done so already. And, I bet that article won't be comparing tea to coffee.

There are articles comparing coffee to tea. Here's one.

http://news.menshealth.com/the-showdown-coffee-vs-tea/2012/04/06/

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 27 2013, 8:42 am)

(desert dweller @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:06 am)

Some of the claimed benefits are associated with caffeine, rather than coffee specifically. Yet the article says nothing about tea. That's kind of short-sighted, it seems to me.

Caffine is only mentioned in the first two reasons. . . .

And in neither of those two reasons is tea mentioned. Incidentally, tea is known to also contain a high amount of antioxidants. But tea isn't mentioned there either. That's three out of the seven points made. And there are more.

The article says,
    "I’d also like to point out that many of the studies above were epidemiological in nature. Such studies can only show association, they can not prove that coffee caused the effects."
So neither can they prove what agent in coffee could have caused the effects, if any. Conceivably, that agent differs between coffee and tea in the nutrient question, but in the other reasons given? Not necessarily.

In "risk of death," "risk of type II Diabetes," or "risk of Alzheimer’s," I see no reason to propose a great difference between coffee and tea. Just because the article does not mention caffeine in those points says little about whether caffeine may be an active agent. After all, the article fails to mention relevant points in other places.

The purpose of the article is to bolster the reputation of coffee against rumors of it's possible ill effects. Since tea hasn't had the bad reputation, the writer evidently chose to ignore it, or did not have adequate research to include it — one way or another. And the writer did so in at least six of the seven reasons given — not merely two.

So the article really says little if anything about coffee versus tea. What it focuses on is the new view of coffee versus the old view.

Man.....what a buzzkill

I'm gonna have to go pour myself another cup before I read anymore of this.
 Post Number: 14
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 27 2013, 2:21 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:42 am)
And in neither of those two reasons is tea mentioned.

Well, it's an article about coffee and its benefits. Probably someone will come along and write an article touting tea, if they haven't done so already. And, I bet that article won't be comparing tea to coffee.

There are articles comparing coffee to tea. Here's one.

http://news.menshealth.com/the-showdown-coffee-vs-tea/2012/04/06/

It's mostly an article about caffeine and its possible benefits. Very little of the claimed benefit is due to coffee uniquely. And most is not proven.

Yet the writer ends with the superfluous claim that coffee may be the healthiest drink in the world. Like I said, that is short-sighted, and misleading.

Caffeine is not synonymous with coffee. And that is what the writer seems willing for us to believe.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a good week.  First the good news about coffee, now this.
 Post Number: 16
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Life is good.  We need the hog farmers to fund (an unbiased of course) scientific research paper telling us how bacon lowers cholesterol.  :)
 Post Number: 17
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So this thread isn't about another Stanley Cup for the Red Wings?

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 18
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Feb. 27 2013, 12:43 pm)

Well if you cut down to that too quickly it may cause problems I suppose....
 Post Number: 19
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reason #8:  There's still some coffe left in the pot.

Rumi~the cafeinated~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 20
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:43 am)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health....rt.html

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 21
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Feb. 27 2013, 3:43 pm)

6-8 cups a day seems a bit much (assuming a 6-8oz cup).  What you need is a 32oz mug.  You can cut your consumption down to 2 cups a day that way!  

Problem solved!   :p

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad we can have a sensible discussion about high capacity coffee consumption around here.  Using the HSF scale, I have decided that retired reddog is correct and I am cutting down to two (pots) per day, slowly, like several years probably.

--------------
21 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 9:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 7 reasons to have another cup
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions