2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Product Development, Lehigh University Product Development Pr< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tks216 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all,
 I am a current student at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA and as part of my Integrated Engineering and Business Program I am a part of a product development class.  For my project my team is developing a more kid friendly camping backpack to be used anywhere from backpacking to car camping to even backyard camping.
 In order to start development on the project we must first go out into the market place and see what experts and people who use, have used or wish to use similar products think about them.  It would be greatly appreciated if you could take a few moments and help us out with the information collection.
 Any and all responses will be instrumental in the development of our product.  

Thanks,
Tyler Stangle
Lehigh University
tks216@lehigh.edu

Download attachment [ MS Word doc ]
Number of downloads: 17
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please feel free to email me with responses or anything you have to contribute.  Once again thanks for the help.

tks216@lehigh.edu
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why would anyone, child or adult need a backpack for a backyard overnight? Or car camping?

Doesn't seem at all well thought out.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The idea of the project is to give children a pack of there own and therefore increase the passion they can gain toward the outdoors at a young age.  As a child I played in the backyard with my fathers old external frame Jansport that had broken zippers, ripped canvas and was way to big for me.  Although as a kid it was the coolest thing to feel like I was in the outdoors and when my father started to take me out on trails I wanted a bag of my own.  

This is where the project is coming from, creating a backpack children can use over and over again that will help them enjoy, learn about, and be a part of the outdoors.  The current problem is we need to collect information about the topic in order to find out what is most important when creating a kid friendly backpack.  So we need to find out from parents, or kids themselves what they want or desire for their child's (or their, in the child's case) backpack.

This is where the questions posted help.  They ask what is most important, what are current problems with child's bags and how can a child's bag become better in the eyes of people that use or wish to use them.
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally like the idea.
It's a starting block, and a lot of children love to have something that that Mother or Father has.
I don't really have much in the way of advice, but I'm behind you the whole way.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it is a good idea to get the forum moderator's permission for posting such off-site surveys.

Other than that, why did you post your questions in an MS Word file? You might get more responses if you posted them in a simple TXT file. Not all computers have MS Word installed, and there is no need for that file type. A TXT file will suffice.

Or, why didn't you simply post your questions here in the thread? That would grant the quickest access. You might be surprised at how many people will balk at downloading any file from an unknown poster.

You are asking participants to spend some time to aid you. I'd suggest you make their task as easy as possible. I like your idea, but I think you are complicating it.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the support.  

Is there anything you think to be extremely important for a start up, child's backpack.  Anything will help.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As requested here are the questions we would like answered for the project.  Thanks.

Parents:

Do you bring your kids camping?

Do they have there own back pack?

Would they enjoy camping more if they had there own backpacks?

Do they complain because they don't have any where comfortable to sit?

What do they normally bring with them?

Do they normally carry there own things?

Would you be willing to buy your child a durable kid friendly backpack?

What features would be most important for a child's backpack?

Would external frame or internal frame be preferred?
What do you try to teach kids about camping/ preparing to camp?

Is it important for kids to start learning to prepare to camp at an early age?

Would a backpack that features an adjustable frame that moves as the kids grow be more advantageous and appealing?

Would it be important for the backpack to be kid friendly in ways such as design?

What else would you desire to be a feature of your child's camping backpack?

Would it be okay if the backpack had extra weight for a more sturdy frame?

Choose what you would want most:
Durable/ High Quality Cheap/ Low Quality

Please tell us anything else about your desires when it comes to bringing your child camping, backpacking, or just outdoors.

Please tell us what else you wish your child's backpack had, or could have.

Please tell us any other features that would make your child's camping experience more enjoyable.
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yes

Do they have there own back pack?

yes

n/a

no

clothes, sleeping bag, breakfast cereal, eating utensils, cup, water bottle

Do they normally carry there own things?

yes

yes

Just like any backpack, the most important feature is comfort

either, as long as it is adjustable so you don't need to buy a new one every one or two years

I'm not going to bother getting into that here.  It's a long answer

yes

Would a backpack that features an adjustable frame that moves as the kids grow be more advantageous and appealing?

yes

Would it be important for the backpack to be kid friendly in ways such as design?

I don't know what you mean by "kid friendly" does it have a picture of Barney or Thomas on the back?

reasonable price

no

low cost

Please tell us anything else about your desires when it comes to bringing your child camping, backpacking, or just outdoors.

n/a

Please tell us any other features that would make your child's camping experience more enjoyable.

Heather Locklear...oh wait, wrong list.
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tks216 @ Feb. 27 2013, 11:41 am)
As requested here are the questions we would like answered for the project.  Thanks.

Parents:

Yes.

Do they have their own back packs? {fixed some grammar for you}
Yes.  They have carried their own packs since they could walk.  None of us uses a packpack when car camping.  And our backyard is unsuited to pretend camping (also unnecessary).

N/A

No.  In my experience, kids are fine, it's the adults who suffer.  When mine reached a certain age, they started stealing my Thermalounger.

As tiny tots, water and snack.  Gradually added gear/clothing, starting with rain gear and insulation.  

Do they normally carry their own things?
Have carried their own clothes since maybe age 7; working up to everything, including (starting next trip) all of their own tent and most of their food on week-long trips (I have small, scrawny teens as yet).

I did.  But my idea of "kid-friendly" is pretty limited to: good fit and light weight.  I.e., small versions of serious adult packs.

Good fit and light weight.  Granted, kids love pockets and bells and whistles even more than adults, but they are wasted weight, and a kid can't afford that.  A toy pack for kids who don't actually backpack could of course have anything they want.

We've stuck with internal; I think that doesn't much matter as long as a good fit (and light weight) can be obtained.  Internal frames are more comfortable to use as pillows.

Tried to teach the whole thing.  Still working on it, especially re: food.

Sure.  Important for kids to get outdoors and have fun.  Not sure that means they need camping toys.  Better to just take them camping.

Absolutely.  Internal or external frame, a kid's pack should grow a bit.  Otherwise it's just too expensive.  That said, the first couple of packs (more like toys, especially the tiny ones they carried at age 3) didn't adjust.  They were cheap, though, and were small enough that they didn't need features (though I added hip belts).

Not sure what you mean by this.  Design to me means the quality of the suspension, etc.  In that case, my howl would be to for pete's sake make one with a hipbelt that fits a skinny little kid!

Built-in safety whistle, even though I also make them carry one in a pocket at all times.

No.  Pack weight compared to capacity (and the kids' carrying capacity) is already high by comparison to adult packs.  When a kid weighs 60 lbs, they can only carry about 15 lbs.  If 5 of that is pack, that's not much gear, clothing and food.

Actually depends a bit for what age we are talking about.  As indicated, for the little-littles, cheap is better because they will use for only a season or two.  Later, quality is more important.

If goofy packs with built-in toys are what it takes to get a kid outdoors, fine.  But I'm thinking you'd do better to take Lamebeaver's advice a put in Heather Locklear, because the biggest impediment to kids getting outdoors is the parents.  It's not like we ever give our kids a choice.

Aside from the hip belts being too big, the Deuter Fox (30 and 40) packs are pretty dang good, if just a tad heavy.

n/a

Thanks for putting the questions in the post.  I was one who wouldn't download a strange file.

Our boys are teens now, so out of the range, but we have taken them camping and backpacking since birth, so I have some thoughts on the subject.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I e-mailed responses to you.

Overall it seems that you project is looking for an idea at this stage, not yet trying to develop a specific idea. If so, there are plenty of kids' backpacks already out there, the questions then need to turn to what is missing or problematic about the current offerings so that you can offer something better/faster/cheaper/etc. In other words, something that is unique and desirable, maybe something that solves a problem.

What you are trying to do at this stage is a fishing expedition, which is fine, but you really want to use qualitative research (such as focus groups or in-depth individual interviews) to explore the issues and uncover wants and needs, rather than a structured questionnaire.

Good luck.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for your help, everything has been extremely useful so far.  The current stage we are in is simply information gathering, we do not have any current rock solid plans of the path we will take in development yet and this is just one of our information gathering techniques.  That being said your thoughts will help sway the way our project takes over the rest of the semester.  Thanks again and keep it coming!!
Tyler
 Post Number: 13
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I realize I'm being the a-hole grammar police here, but a university sponsored survey should at the very least be able to appropriately use there/they're/their.  

In any case, good luck with your survey.  I studied Marketing about the time Al Gore was inventing the internet, so we still went door to door to conduct surveys.   :blush:

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

their, they're now.  Let's knot get upset.....  :p
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

To make it easier for everyone, we have created a survey to help aid our project.

Please take the time to fill it out if you are a camping/ backpacking parent who enjoys bringing your child/ children along.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W3LCFP2

Thanks!
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tks216 @ Feb. 28 2013, 4:47 pm)
Please take the time to fill it out if you are a camping/ backpacking parent who enjoys bringing your child/ children along.

Well.

That's discriminatory against the childless.

:D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tks216 @ Feb. 27 2013, 2:36 pm)
Thanks for the support.  

Is there anything you think to be extremely important for a start up, child's backpack.  Anything will help.

Kids like lots of little compartments because they have lots of little things :)

A bladder would be cool, preferably one that would be able to manage sticky/nasty/sugary drinks.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 18
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tks216 @ Feb. 27 2013, 1:41 pm)

Parents:

Do you bring your kids camping?  YES

Do they have there own back pack? OF COURSE

Would they enjoy camping more if they had there own backpacks?  YES

Do they complain because they don't have any where comfortable to sit?  NEVER

What do they normally bring with them? Food, water, emergency whistle and mirror, first aid kit, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes, rain gear, book, headlamp.

Do they normally carry there own things? YES

Would you be willing to buy your child a durable kid friendly backpack? YES

What features would be most important for a child's backpack?  SIZE, COMFORT, WEIGHT, STORAGE

Would external frame or internal frame be preferred?  INTERNAL

What do you try to teach kids about camping/ preparing to camp?  PREPARE FOR THE WEATHER, KNOW HOW TO READ A MAP, WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET LOST, WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE PARTICULAR LOCATION (say camping in the mountains vs a swamp)

Is it important for kids to start learning to prepare to camp at an early age?  ONLY IF THEY ARE CAMPING FROM AN EARLY AGE - the basics of camping can be learned at any age

Would a backpack that features an adjustable frame that moves as the kids grow be more advantageous and appealing?  YES

Would it be important for the backpack to be kid friendly in ways such as design? YES

Would it be okay if the backpack had extra weight for a more sturdy frame?  NO

Choose what you would want most:   DECENT QUALITY - MID_RANGE PRICE

Please tell us any other features that would make your child's camping experience more enjoyable.  LETTING KIDS BE KIDS *is* WHAT MAKE IS ENJOYABLE.

Like RebeccaD's kids, my son is past this age now, but he's been camping most of his life.  I'm basing my answers on when he was younger.

Someone else mentioned a bladder.  My son's daypack and backpack both had bladders.  Otherwise, he would never have gotten enough water in him for safe hiking.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
17 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 1:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Product Development
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions