2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: annual gear issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rics Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just received the new April issue of Backpacker. It's the annual gear review. I always feel a bit ripped off by this issue since it's essentially a big catalog of equipment and not much on places.
Am I alone in this opinion. How do others feel?
Thanks,
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it's a gear issue. It's not meant to include places.

It's only once a year and a lot goes into it. It's their biggest (most pages) issue of the year. Plus, I bet it brings a lot of revenue from gear makers and distributors. Where else in the world of print can a backpacker get objective reviews of the stuff we need to do our activity?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess it is just a matter of personal taste.  The gear issue is my favorite.

Maybe BP should start a gear only magazine.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 4
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the gear issue, but in general I always feel like Backpacker needs more information on locations.
I feel like they're really recycling information, and really not going out there and exploring.
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Count me as another who likes the gear issue.  Do prominent advertisers sometimes get a feature over some other great product? Yeah, probably.  But this isn't an unrelated magazine just trying to sell some fringe products, its reviews from folks actually using the gear in similar situations that we would.  Personally, I like a consolidated source of new gear that I can flip through at my leisure.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoy reading about gear. There are only so many locations in the world that I can't get to visit.
 Post Number: 7
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also enjoy the gear issue. I notice they only highlight the new gear. In years past all the gear was in the magazine. Now, gear companies like Western Mountaineering, Snow Peak, Mont-Bell and others, aren't even mentioned, even though they are the best in their class.
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got it in the mail today.  They've put a bit more work into soft goods and descriptions vs. the old tabular data which is best accessed online anyhow.  An improvement but the gear issue is what it is.  Prefer their travel issues myself but it's all good.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the gear issue. Even though I don't have a long gear list right now. I enjoy seeing how some gear evolves and some is refined. In the end it is nice reading. Most trips I read reports online. Some stuff gets heavier, some gets new names and some is just cool. In the end I am refining gear so it takes a lot to get me to spend money. Some folks are obsessed with gear. I would rather use the money to get out west and backpack myself than by a new pack losing 8 ounces.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
8 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 4:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply annual gear issue
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions