2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: My Contour iv Classic is up for sale, I hate growing old!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had two Contour IV packs.  This is the last one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281071248923

When I was younger I loved these packs.  This one is a bit heavier than the stripped down model I already sold.  

But it's time to cut weight, and move on to backpacking  as a senior.  Growing old is hard!

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Growing old beats the alternative.
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is growing old hard?  It's completely automatic... takes no effort at all.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 27 2013, 7:14 pm)
Why is growing old hard?  It's completely automatic... takes no effort at all.   :;):

Well, for me, I have never worked at anything so hard in my life as I work at growing old.  I can't even carry the old BP stuff anymore.  

You must be very  young.....

Maybe we should call you YoungBen2Wrold?

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Feb. 27 2013, 5:04 pm)

Well, for me, I have never worked at anything so hard in my life as I work at growing old.  I can't even carry the old BP stuff anymore.  

Nah, not that young... just in big denial.   :D

(I'm 52.)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 27 2013, 8:17 pm)

(RedDoug @ Feb. 27 2013, 5:04 pm)

Nah, not that young... just in big denial.   :D

(I'm 52.)

What a hoot!!  I tried the denial thing for awhile myself but that only works so long.

On the CDT-L I chat with a lady who is section hiking the CDT.  She will be 71 this year and will be doing 1/3 of NM.  She did a 3rd last year.  It is amazing how she is cutting weight so she can keep packin'.

I bought a new Zpack hexamiod plus solo tent this year.  Single wall, just over a lb.  Cost me $400.  When  you start paying that kind of money to cut ounces believe, DENIAL no longer works.  Its all reality then.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What year is that pack?

I picked up a similar Contour IV pack during the summer of 1997. I still have it shoved in the closet. Used it once last three winters, but finally retired it for a new winter pack.
 Post Number: 8
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Feb. 27 2013, 7:31 pm)
What year is that pack?

I picked up a similar Contour IV pack during the summer of 1997. I still have it shoved in the closet. Used it once last three winters, but finally retired it for a new winter pack.

My wife got her Contour IV in 1987... that one is definitely newer.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:35 pm)

What year is that pack?

I think the Contour packs came out in the 80's.  I got my first one through Serria Trading Post and pickd up a 2nd one for my oldest son.  We were just making the jump from external to internal frames.  Big move back once upon a time.  Externals are far and few between any more.
But they were neat and great for having everything organized.

I had three externals- all a good trade name- and all 3 were sold on email.

I have sold lots of packs on eBay.  For awhile I had a new pack every year- try it a time or two, then sell it and try another one.

I stayed with the Contour 4 for over 20 years and my smaller and lighter MountSmith Auspex.  

So I am presenting a case for making a pack history of one's life cycle.  Smaller, to bigger, then smaller again.

Maybe I'll be cremated someday and be buried in a small pack.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Feb. 27 2013, 7:43 pm)

(BradMT @ Feb. 27 2013, 9:35 pm)

What year is that pack?

I think the Contour packs came out in the 80's.  I got my first one through Serria Trading Post and pickd up a 2nd one for my oldest son.  We were just making the jump from external to internal frames.  Big move back once upon a time.  Externals are far and few between any more.
But they were neat and great for having everything organized.

I had three externals- all a good trade name- and all 3 were sold on email.

I have sold lots of packs on eBay.  For awhile I had a new pack every year- try it a time or two, then sell it and try another one.

I stayed with the Contour 4 for over 20 years and my smaller and lighter MountSmith Auspex.  

So I am presenting a case for making a pack history of one's life cycle.  Smaller, to bigger, then smaller again.

Maybe I'll be cremated someday and be buried in a small pack.

I've carried internals exclusively sine 1978 when I gave up on externals. Have had dozens from most of the makers. I still prefer big packs, even though I'll be 52 soon.

A big pack with a GREAT suspension can carry everything inside and its extra weight is mitigated by a comfortable carry (not everything equates to oz's and lb's).

A small pack with a compromised suspension and everything dangling on the outside... no thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The summer I was 50- 14 yrs ago- I spent a month in the Weimenuche Wilderness.  the contour iv was my pack!  I started out on the first section with 15 days of food in it.

It carried the weight well.  When I was 50 I had the same opinion as you.  I liked my big pack and the way it carried 40- 50 lbs.

Those days are gone.

Denial doesn't help carry the load.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A big pack doesn't mean you have to carry 40-50 lbs... I would have thought that was obvious. It just makes lighter loads more comfortable.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 27 2013, 11:08 pm)
A big pack doesn't mean you have to carry 40-50 lbs... I would have thought that was obvious. It just makes lighter loads more comfortable.

That 40- 50 lbs would have been with water.  Food for 15 days takes up a lot of volume and would have been more than 50% of my starting pack weight.

I was to meet OverTheHillHIker who used the name Westy back then who was going to resupply me out of Lake City and driving in from Utah to do it.  I had never met Westy before- met him on this site.  He told me he would hike in to Cateract Lake and bring in 3 days of supplies- we would bag a peak or two and be out the 3rd day to go and bag a few more peaks in the San deChristo mts near Kit Carson.  I ate my last food in the back around noon the day he was to show up.  I ate the food, then sat on a nice rock looking out and down the trail he would be coming from.  And he showed up exactly on time- with more food!!  that is my big pack story.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's completely automatic... takes no effort at all.   :;):

True, maybe.  But getting up after you fall down takes a hell of a lot of effort when you get older. :O

I know exactly of which Red Doug speaks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 27 2013, 11:28 pm)

It's completely automatic... takes no effort at all.   :;):

True, maybe.  But getting up after you fall down takes a hell of a lot of effort when you get older. :O

I know exactly of which Red Doug speaks.

And the uphills are getting harder and harder.  I creep uphill at a snails pace now and its all HARD WORK.  

So I spend dollars to cut ounces.  I expect my next pair of trekking poles may look a lot like crutches.

--------------
14 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 6:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply My Contour iv Classic is up for sale
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions