2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thru-hikers on the Great Eastern Trail, History being made< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.gethiking.net/

This is the website of the first (potential) thru-hikers of the GET, which goes from Alabama to New York.  The trail is about 1,600 miles long, and not yet complete.

I recently read Earl Shaffer's "Walking with Spring" and it is fascinating how some of their experiences are so similar to Mr. Shaffer's, despite this thru-hike being almost 60 years later.

The posts and pictures are interesting and at times hilarious.  Worth the read.  

Let's all wish them the best on their journey.

More info about the GET:

http://greateasterntrail.net/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. Now I want to do this.
 Post Number: 3
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

very cool.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uh-oh, there's already a GET (Grand Enchantment Trail).  Anyway, I hope they have fun.
 Post Number: 5
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good on them, I hope they make it.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 6
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spindle, I couldn't agree more.

Every time I read about a new trail, it goes into the "I want to do that" part of my brain.  Which mind you is right next to the, "I want that" part.  hahaa

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never heard of this trail. Imagine the loop that can be done!!!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 04 2013, 10:18 am)

It would have been in your watershed had one bureaucrat made a different decision a few years back, instead the concept was truncated in Steuben County.
 Post Number: 9
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 04 2013, 9:18 am)

You could fly to Key West, go NOBO on the Eastern Continental, SOBO on the AT, then NOBO on the Great Eastern and practically land at home...with just a little connection help between each terminus.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Mar. 06 2013, 2:23 pm)

You could fly to Key West, go NOBO on the Eastern Continental, SOBO on the AT, then NOBO on the Great Eastern and practically land at home...with just a little connection help between each terminus.

Hmmm.... actually, I could walk out of my house, road walk 2 miles, hit the Old Erie Canal Trail to the NCT Link Trail, to the Finger Lakes Trail, to the Great Eastern Trail, to the AT, to the Hudson Trail, to the NCT, to the Old Erie Canal trail, then back home. I could do the Eastern Continental/Florida Trail as an optional spur.

Thanks for nuthin'. :D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ECT and GET have a common route in Alabama (to the extent either has an official route that is).

Cut-overs between GET and AT include Georgia Pinhoti-Benton MacKaye Tr in north GA; overlap at Pearisburg, VA; Tuscarora (former Big Blue) trail in north VA; C&O Canal NHP in MD aka American Discovery Trail aka Potomac Heritage NST; Tuscarora Trail in south PA; Finger Lakes Trail to Long Path and/or Shawangunk Ridge Tr; North Country NST with proposed extension or Sea-to-Sea Route past Middlebury VT to Long Trail.
 Post Number: 12
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 06 2013, 5:10 pm)

(hiking_tiger @ Mar. 06 2013, 2:23 pm)

Hmmm.... actually, I could walk out of my house, road walk 2 miles, hit the Old Erie Canal Trail to the NCT Link Trail, to the Finger Lakes Trail, to the Great Eastern Trail, to the AT, to the Hudson Trail, to the NCT, to the Old Erie Canal trail, then back home. I could do the Eastern Continental/Florida Trail as an optional spur.

Thanks for nuthin'. :D

Sounds like a plan.  When I get my house in Mt Morris I can put you up for the night.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He'd have to spur west to get to Mt Morris, the split is north of Corning
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting TV local news story in KY about this hike:

Local TV station news site link

The text added a zero onto the rough distance of GET north of Flagg Mountain (should be 1,600 on their hike not 16,000). It would be 1800 miles or so from the FL/AL border.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 8:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pix from Knoxville TN paper
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are now in WV

http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoor....blogger
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are now in Virginia.
 Post Number: 18
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

VA should take a while.  :)
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you see big beards and bigger backpacks, they're not attached to bums.

newspaper link (may be paywalled)
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are now in Maryland!  Getting closer.
 Post Number: 21
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now PA.

In the last few minutes I had a thought.  It seems like they'll be trekking along the logged area south of Cowans Gap tomorrow.  That's just gonna be a horrible sauna.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now in NY, almost done.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They did it!

The GET was recently thru-hiked for the first time by Jo Swanson and Bart Houck.  Congratulations to them on their historic accomplishment.  Hopefully more will follow.

Is Jo the first female to be the first thru-hiker of any of America's long trails?

http://www.stargazette.com/article....-County

http://www.gethiking.net/

http://greateasterntrail.net/
 Post Number: 24
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice. It's been fun following along. Now to put it on the schedule.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
23 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 6:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thru-hikers on the Great Eastern Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions