2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Challenge, I need Help: Space Blanket.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am wondering if anyone knows of an emergency space survival blanket- the ones that look like foil- that is about 8' long?

Does such a crerture exist?  I think it would make a great floor for a floorless tent/tarp.

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is one at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/813514/sol-survival-blanket

wonder how tear resistant it is?

--------------
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to a construction job and ask for a piece of Tyvek, wash it to get the criklels out and cut to size.  Works great and costs nothing.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does Tyvek compare in weight?  right now ounces are everything to me.

Shave off 16 oz and you drop a lb.  I want to cut my weight to the evry min for  for my New Mexico hike.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my floorless tent, I use silnylon cut just a little larger than my pad with a hint of room above my head with a one inch lip - a mini bathtub floor.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 27 2013, 11:59 pm)
For my floorless tent, I use silnylon cut just a little larger than my pad with a hint of room above my head with a one inch lip - a mini bathtub floor.

How does your piece of silnylon compare to this:

http://gossamergear.com/shelter....ge.html

I have the smaller size under my bug netting as a ground cover and the stuff is tuff and no moisture gets through.

And if anyone is not familar with Zpack take a look at their products:

http://www.zpacks.com/

I think Zpacks make about the best stuff sacks I have ever found.  

I have the ZPacks Hexamid™ Solo-Plus Tent with the extended peak.  Expensive.  And no floor- just the bug netting.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Silnylon is "paper thin" but tear strength is good. It is difficult to work with (super slick). I'm using 10D ripstop Silnylon. I'd compare it directly to 2 mil painter's cloth but tough. I've not worked with that film so I can't compare apples to apples.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Window insulation film (also known as polycryo to the gram weenies out there).  You used to live in MI - you know exactly what that is LOL!  Super light (even lighter than painters drop cloth) and pretty darn strong.  We use it as a ground cloth under our tarptent and even inside it in serious downpour weather if we need to.

Downside is it likes to fly away, so use little rocks at the corners to hold it down.

Have fun on your hike, I am jealous! :)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(peeb @ Feb. 28 2013, 9:46 am)
Window insulation film (also known as polycryo to the gram weenies out there).  You used to live in MI - you know exactly what that is LOL!  Super light (even lighter than painters drop cloth) and pretty darn strong.  We use it as a ground cloth under our tarptent and even inside it in serious downpour weather if we need to.

Downside is it likes to fly away, so use little rocks at the corners to hold it down.

Have fun on your hike, I am jealous! :)

Light Bulb!!  Or course it is the same stuff we used to cover windows with in Michigan- but I never made the connection before- and it is so thin and light weight it never occured to consider it as a ground sheet or a tarp floor.  

Now I know.  I don't think they sell those window kits around here where I live in AZ.

I ordered the space blanket from REI.  If worst comes to worst I can wrap up in my tarp tent floor.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Polycryo is far better for floor use than space blanket material (LDPE). You can however make a decent tarp out of either (see my profile link for videos of both).
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RD - I have some leftover pieces from winters past (unused!) that might suit your needs; if you want them you can PM me your address and I can send them out to you.

It looks like I have pieces that measure about:
46x86"
64x72"

I also have a piece that came off of one of the windows that measures 59x88".  It should be completely servicable (we use recycled ones ourselves).

I can't use these practically as they are too small for the 3-man tents, but you are welcome to them :)  Let me know!

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(peeb @ Mar. 01 2013, 1:21 pm)
RD - I have some leftover pieces from winters past (unused!) that might suit your needs; if you want them you can PM me your address and I can send them out to you.

It looks like I have pieces that measure about:
46x86"
64x72"

I also have a piece that came off of one of the windows that measures 59x88".  It should be completely servicable (we use recycled ones ourselves).

I can't use these practically as they are too small for the 3-man tents, but you are welcome to them :)  Let me know!

Peeb, that is a very kind offer.  I am 6' long and I am looking to have a piece about 8' long to give me a foot on each end.  The length 86" long is close to it- but I did order the space blanket from REI to use as the floor in the tarp tent.

Talk about kindness, one of the residents in the senior park I live in offered to drive me over to Deming, NM when the time comes to go.  He has several long distance hike trips in including a trek across Africa and the CDT bike route.  He is really interested in my upcoming CDT hike in New Mexico.  

Good neighbors are so nice to have around and I am referring to you, too, peeb.  I appreciate the offer on the plastic sheet.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No problem - I wasn't sure if the dimensions would work for you or not.  I'll keep them around though, just holler anytime if you'd like them :)

--------------
 Post Number: 14
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think they sell those foil space blankets in Wal Mart.  That's what I have used over and over under my tent.  Love 'em, so light.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 15
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used space blankets as flooring before (I like dual-use items). They're light, but they do rip. My average one lasts about a week before I tear it.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 16
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello.  http://www.rei.com/search?query=space+blanket

They do not make good flooring.  Go with the Tyvek.
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why are all spindle's responses blank??
 Post Number: 18
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 04 2013, 4:51 pm)

Do you have her on "Ignore"?

If so you're living awfully close to the edge.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have I ever called you any offensive names or threatened to start dating your mom/wife/sister?

They may be protecting you from me.

Or you have me blocked. You delicate, conservative ninny you.   :p
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Mar. 04 2013, 1:57 pm)

I wouldn't dare.

But every one of her responses suddenly went blank??

ETA: oops....apparently I did have her on ignore??  I'm not certain how that happened - I've never (knowingly) put anyone on ignore before.  Operator error.  Sorry spindle.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 04 2013, 5:44 pm)

I wouldn't dare.

ETA: oops....apparently I did have her on ignore??  I'm not certain how that happened - I've never (knowingly) put anyone on ignore before.  Operator error.  Sorry spindle.

I see how you are.   :D

I never put anyone on ignore either.  All the better to watch the mental dysfunctions in progress.

:cool:
 Post Number: 22
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't dare.

Way to fess up, you were getting close to newtness   :p

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Mar. 04 2013, 5:57 pm)

I wouldn't dare.

Way to fess up, you were getting close to newtness   :p

He'd be an adorable new addition.  <3
22 replies since Feb. 27 2013, 11:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Challenge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions