2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How often do you change your oil?, New service standards?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 9:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.edmunds.com/car-car....msite=w

I must admit, I've been and still am a bit skeptical of going over 3000 miles due probably to the fact I just always changed at 3000. A vehicle is a large expense and the longer I make it last the more cost-effective an expense it is.

How often do you change?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 2009 Altima and I stay close to every 3K miles with it on mostly highway driving.  I'd rather change it too frequently than not often enough.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While there's absolutely nothing wrong with changing your oil every 3,000 miles, it's truly not necessary. Mostly* a marketing ploy by business.  Assuming you're using standard oil (not synthetic which can last quite a bit longer between oil changes) most cars should be perfectly fine with a change every 5,000 miles.  Some new cars even recommend every 7,500 miles.

*I say "mostly" a marketing ploy because there is some justification for changing your oil more frequently than every 7,500 miles.  7,500 is the recommendation for cars driven under "normal" conditions.  Doing things like driving less than 10 miles (especially in the cold), dusty conditions, stop & go, etc. are all considered "severe" driving conditions.  That's when the 3,000 mile recommendation comes into play.

Ultimately, I think "most" drivers would be very safe and treating their engine well, to change every 5,000.

ETA: To answer the OP, I drive a 2006 Civic Si, use synthetic oil and change about every 7,500 miles.  When I first got it with 9,000 miles on it I changed the oil less frequently (10,000 - 11,000 depending on "driving conditions"), but have reduced time between changes now that I'm over 100,000 miles.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every 5,000 miles.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every 5,000 miles for me

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

7,500 miles for the last 2 cars.  With the new, tighter tolerances of moving parts, and the need to use less oil as a nation, I just considered it the right thing to do.  My cars last 200K + so I do not see it as detrimental.  Why spend the extra $$ and use the extra oil?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ours recommends synthetic oil and a change every 10,000 miles, 5000 under harsher conditions.  So far that's what we've done (only at 37,000 so far).  In the past, we've gone much longer between changes than we should, due to not paying attention; this car tells us when it's time (though since we did the 35,000 mile service ourselves, I haven't figured out if we can reset the thing).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About every 5k miles here. Mine burns a quart or so every few k, so I just go ahead and change it instead of adding.
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 01 2013, 7:33 am)
Ours recommends synthetic oil and a change every 10,000 miles, 5000 under harsher conditions.  So far that's what we've done (only at 37,000 so far).  In the past, we've gone much longer between changes than we should, due to not paying attention; this car tells us when it's time (though since we did the 35,000 mile service ourselves, I haven't figured out if we can reset the thing).

Google is your friend. I have found maintenance tricks, how to replace just about anything, etc. on my last few cars. You can reset it yourself, usually a key turn while holding one of the mileage buttons, etc.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My new 2012 Chevy Colorado has an oil-life sensor routed to the vehicle computer that tells when to change oil. Going by that — i.e. the manufacturer's recommendations — the first oil change will probably be around 7,000 to 7,500 miles.

I've customarily changed oil at about 3,000 miles — especially when a vehicle was new. Times have changed.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 11
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

my car is every 5,000

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 12
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 01 2013, 10:50 am)

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 01 2013, 7:33 am)

Google is your friend. I have found maintenance tricks, how to replace just about anything, etc. on my last few cars. You can reset it yourself, usually a key turn while holding one of the mileage buttons, etc.

+1 it's VERY rare for a dealer to be the only one to be able to reset a maintenance light.  Google helped me with my Civic, though living in an apartment I don't do much work on it myself anymore.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 01 2013, 8:33 am)
. . . this car tells us when it's time (though since we did the 35,000 mile service ourselves, I haven't figured out if we can reset the thing).

My owners' manual tells how to reset.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back when my truck was new I would change it at 3000 miles even though the manual indicated 5000.  10 years and 180,000 miles later if I catch it before it goes over 10,000 between changes I consider it good.  I think I get about 3.5 - 4 quarts back out of it at that time.  I really should check my oil level more often.
 Post Number: 15
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

06 Nissan Sentra and 96 Ford Ranger both with about 90,000 miles on them - every 3,000 miles without fail.  I know the new standards but old habits die hard.  Figure it can't hurt.

And BTW, I always change it myself.  Can't see spending the extra money to go to a shop when it's such an easy task which I acutally kind of enjoy doing. Just remember to put the drain plug back in before adding the new oil. :O

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 16
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 01 2013, 9:55 am)
06 Nissan Sentra and 96 Ford Ranger both with about 90,000 miles on them - every 3,000 miles without fail.  I know the new standards but old habits die hard.  Figure it can't hurt.

And BTW, I always change it myself.  Can't see spending the extra money to go to a shop when it's such an easy task which I acutally kind of enjoy doing. Just remember to put the drain plug back in before adding the new oil. :O

Every once in a while I'll leave the drain plug out and pour in a half quart just to flush out what little is left in the bottom of the oil pan. I also fill the oil filter with new oil before starting the engine so that you won't have that few angonizing seconds of the clattering lifters being without oil. I'm lucky enough that both of my vehicles have oil filters that mount facing up.

I change every 3 to 5 thousand miles.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17
lrh442 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several advancements have made the old standard of 3K miles/3 months obsolete, I think.
1. Oils are now vastly superior in their ability to lubricate without breakdown.  Synthetics or synthetic blends especially, but even dino-oil is light-years ahead of where it was even 10 years ago.
2.  Internal engine tolerances are much tighter, resulting in less contamination with combustion byproducts.  Also, engines burn much cleaner, leaving behind less crud and unburned fuel that can find its way into the oiling system.
3. The introduction of oil life monitoring systems allows for a dynamic estimate of remainig oil life based on actual driving conditions.  No longer must use a one-size-fits-all guess.

Based on the above, I'm comfortable following the change interval prompted by the on-board monitoring system, which usually works out to be between 7K-10K miles for me.  For my vehicles w/o the monitoring system I use synthetic belnds ands change about every 5K.
 Post Number: 18
Upstream Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The manual said 7,500, the tire guys said to rotate at 6,000, which seemed like a good point to do the oil.
 Post Number: 19
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whenever the car tells me to.   It's smarter than I am, so I just do what it says.
 Post Number: 20
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 2000 Camry that I have religiously changed the oil every 5,000 miles.

It currently has over 290,000 miles on the original engine.
 Post Number: 21
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every 6 months or so.
Ford Mustang with 170k
Kia Sportage with 215k.
 Post Number: 22
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Twice a year on the SO's van. Once yearly on my car.  Extended change full synthetic.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 23
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3,000 - 7,500... depending on the driving. More often during the winter and city driving, less frequent during the summer and highway driving.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 24
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 01 2013, 8:55 am)
Figure it can't hurt.

It hurts the ole environment.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 25
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If every 3000 miles is good, then every 2500 or 2000 is even better!  Hell, if you change oil every 1000 miles the dang car might last ... FOREVER!

Or you could just follow the manufacturer's recomendations and stop pretending to be an auto engineer.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 26
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every 3,000 miles usually; occasionally I've changed it after 5,000 miles if I've been swamped in life.  I'm very happy with my Toyota Tacoma and have 240,000 + miles on it...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 27
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're supposed to change the oil?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 28
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I change cars every 12,000 miles so I never change my oil.

Don't I wish...javascript:emoticon(':D')
 Post Number: 29
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Nissan pickup has 415,000 miles and I change the oil every 4,000 miles and use Penzoil conventional oil. The frame is rusting but the engine is ging strong.
 Post Number: 30
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When my recently deceased car started a slow oil burn syndrome, I never had to change the oil! Just keep adding more. :p  Yeah, yeah, oil filters and that jazz.

I think 5,000 will be the standard on my new car.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
59 replies since Mar. 01 2013, 9:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How often do you change your oil?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions