2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Some People DESERVE to be Scammed -- You Think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just read an article about the FTC leveling charges against 29 people for text spamming (180 million text messages in total).

Part of it involves scams offering "free gift cards up to $1,000".  According to the article, " consumers who clicked on the links were taken through a maze of websites that required victims to sign up for subscription services or credit cards before they could receive the "free" gifts.  Consumers were sometimes required to sign up for as many as 13 offers".

Seriously, who are the people so gullible or desperate or lacking in self control that they would go through the hoops of signing up 13 different subscriptions one after another?  ???

Not letting off the scammers, of course, but some people really do go way out of their way to get scammed...

More here.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some people are just unable to resist the lure of FREE chit.
I don't mind paying for my chit.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Mar. 08 2013, 10:38 am)
Some people are just unable to resist the lure of FREE chit.
I don't mind paying for my chit.

Yep.  All of us can significantly minimize our chance of getting scammed simply by NOT being greedy.  Want something?  Just pay for it.

EDIT:  Hmmm... is 'greedy' the correct term here?  What is it when we want a little something for nothing?  Not millions, but just a little something for free?  Is that still 'greedy'?  Yes.  But is there a more precise description for this particular psychology in our rich English language?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

13 levels? Lord, that is some people with way too much free time.

Something for nothing is otherwise known as being a corporate whore. It does exist and is a lot of fun. Although...I suppose I sell my soul every time, just a bit ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:43 am)
EDIT:  Hmmm... is 'greedy' the correct term here?  What is it when we want a little something for nothing?  Not millions, but just a little something for free?  Is that still 'greedy'?  Yes.  But is there a more precise description for this particular psychology in our rich English language?

Yeah. PT Barnum said it. "Sucker".

WC Fields also summed it up well... "You can't con an honest man".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a special place in hell for people who prey on the gullibility of others.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ignorance is one thing, being greedy and stupid is another entirely. Almost everyone "falling" for this are not ignorant.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even if I fell for this I wouldn't be too bothered by it. I can afford to lose a little money now that I'll be receiving $10 million from the estate of a former government official in a small African nation. Expecting those funds to clear any day now...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I call those people....clients. I have one client that gets a new virus almost every two months because of habits.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Mar. 09 2013, 6:37 am)
Even if I fell for this I wouldn't be too bothered by it. I can afford to lose a little money now that I'll be receiving $10 million from the estate of a former government official in a small African nation. Expecting those funds to clear any day now...

Hey buddy -- a brother in law of mine actually works for the Fed check clearing center.  Since we are both avid hikers -- I'll be glad to help you out.  Just paypal $15 courtesy fee to my email addy:

neverscamnoone@gmail.com

The amount just covers routine check processing and mailing.  That's all -- and you should expect your Nigerian check to clear within 5 work days.

Cheerio!

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 09 2013, 7:32 am)
I call those people....clients. I have one client that gets a new virus almost every two months because of habits.

:laugh:

That's amazing!  Purely for testing purposes, I visit a myriad of websites and endure boring videos.  Over two years now, my Windows Securities Essentials has only ever notified me of ONE lousy malware!

Some articles criticize WSE as inadequate.  But then, I also do manual system scans with other products and those have never found anything either!

--------------
 Post Number: 12
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one needs to be scammed. That is bull. People, even those inept, should be able to trust their brothers and sisters. Naive? Nah, just  the way it should be. To propose that some should be scammed is a thought of a twit and selfish person who doesn't care anyone else but themself.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Mar. 10 2013, 12:08 pm)
No one needs to be scammed. That is bull. People, even those inept, should be able to trust their brothers and sisters. Naive? Nah, just  the way it should be. To propose that some should be scammed is a thought of a twit and selfish person who doesn't care anyone else but themself.

Agree with the first part.  In the ideal world, we should look out for each other -- or at the very least not harm one another.

But there is also the other side about "freedom and responsibility".  We can have laws so comprehensive and strict that they will protect one and all from making dumb choices.  Or we can put some responsibility on people and let them exercise their freedom to make their own decisions.

If one chooses to be greedy in financial schemes -- just as if one chooses to be entirely reckless when crossing the street -- there will be some burden placed on them.  That is not the same as "wishing" harm on them or anyone else.

You've got your logic all wrong there.  Twit and selfishness are NOT integral to the above.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody deserves to be scammed. To say so just legitimizes dishonesty.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
13 replies since Mar. 08 2013, 1:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Some People DESERVE to be Scammed -- You Think?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions