2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stacked rocks...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On Facebook, There was a picture of a bunch of balanced rocks in nature. There was definitely a blend of reactions to it. Personally, I consider it graffiti. I don't mind cairns used responsibly but one of the last things I want to see is a bunch of rocks stacked up to remind me that humans were here.

Some people said, "Nature would take care of it so it's no big deal." or that it was neat.  

I figure it's worth discussion...again. Any opinions?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't go as far as calling it graffiti, but it's not really my thing either.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 09 2013, 11:19 am)
...I consider it graffiti. I don't mind cairns used responsibly but one of the last things I want to see is a bunch of rocks stacked up to remind me that humans were here.

+1

Kind of goes against the LNT ethic IMO
 Post Number: 4
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Graffiti

It disheartens me to come across stuff like this.  I like to balance rocks when I am along river banks. But I always knock them down before I leave.  Like you, Tigger, I don't want to see a sea of cairns in places like this.  Just leave the place natural cause that is what we go out to experience.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 5
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Kinda reminds me of the Watson Lake signposts.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Darned if I haven't impulsively knocked a few of those over in passing. Poor little things.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I consider this so unimportant as to not be worth forming an opinion on it.

People are silly, and doing this is harmless, so whatever.

Does the site pictured there hold any special significance? Is it a holy spot or a place with a tragic history?  We like to build monuments in places that move us emotionally or spiritually.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer those over polystyrene burger containers, straws, and cold drink lids...

But kidding aside...

If this were right near a suburban trail or popular campsite -- OK, maybe.

But out in the wilds, the common understanding is to 'leave no trace' -- a few well-placed cairns excepted.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Mar. 09 2013, 9:56 am)
We like to build monuments in places that move us emotionally or spiritually.

Like this ...

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a turn in the trail on the way to Yosemite Falls that draws this sort of outburst all the time.  Hundreds of stacks.  Some folks must think of them like monuments to spirits, or shrines to lost loved ones.  I figure Spring melt off pretty much knocks them all down.

When I see such a display, I am a bit dismissive of it.  Not PO'ed as I do not allow it to bother me that much.  If it is just kids stacking rocks, I figure it is innocent fun.  In the end, it is not for me to decide.  It is what it is.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Mar. 09 2013, 1:19 pm)

Like this ...

Rumi

That's neither.  That's economics.

And they didn't even have the decency to use local natural materials.
 Post Number: 12
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much like the storied "Lost Elephant" graveyard of lore, trail ducks too have long been rumored to go somewhere in their final days - sacred grounds? Bet you always wondered why you never see just one duck...always a few.

Another story about someone setting up a 1-mile ducked loop - might have been in Yosemite. Reportedly, Rangers had to rescue a few groups.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Mar. 09 2013, 10:19 am)

Like this ...

Rumi

Last I checked, everyone of us here uses power -- and LOTS OF IT collectively.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This one has been on facebook too.  Maybe so distant future race will be as fascinated by these as we are by stonehenge and the medicine wheel and pictographs

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 15
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just glad the jerkoffs that make them forgot their spraypaint, or were too lazy to carry it.
'Course they're a godsend when they have a purpose, but where I live they rarely do.
Like trash, they're usually near a trailhead, or on short popular trails...
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About 15 years ago my two boys and I hiked to a high alpine lake in the Cascades for a long weekend.  The place was great.  We decided to place our tents on the far side of the lake so we bushwhacked around to a nice opening in the canopy.  There we found what appeared to be a small "fort" of stacked rocks, something kids would build.  My two boys thought it was cool and after we set up camp and had lunch, they went over to investigate and play.  When they started to build more, I stopped them.  Yea, I'm a mean ole daddy.  Anyway, I explained that they could play "fort" back home, but out here we were just going to enjoy what nature had to offer.  They accepted that and went to climb the cliffs and find the tarn over on the other side of the ridge.  While they were out playing, I destroyed the structure.

If I wanna make a shrine, I don't do it on public lands or other people's property, I do it on my property.  My guess is that this photo is not of some sacred area or significant history, but just a place adults have turned into a sorta cairn decorating competition area.  "Oh look, there are rocks laying around.  Let's see how high we can stack them."  "Oooo, look how cool mine is."  "Hey, check this one out!"

When I visited Sedona, AZ back in 1999, the natural beauty of many of the canyons was diminished becaue of all the cairn building competitions.  It was amazing how they were in so much abundance everywhere one turned.

I suppose it is a good thing these silly monuments get concentrated in small areas like this.  It makes it easier to knock them down and saves the rest of the landscape from decoration.  As zeke said, it is what it is.  I'm just glad they don't use spray paint.  Oh crap, I forgot to mention they do use spray paint in some places.  Oh well.

Rumi

PS:  Full disclosure ... I have participated in placing a shrine to Jeremy (olyhiker) on public land.  The difference is we got permission from the rangers and guidelines on what was acceptable.  It is difficult to find if you don't know it is there.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Mar. 09 2013, 2:01 pm)
I'm just glad the jerkoffs that make them forgot their spraypaint, or were too lazy to carry it.
'Course they're a godsend when they have a purpose, but where I live they rarely do.

I've never been a rock-stacker.  But now that I know it annoys strangers so much as to prompt name-calling... I am now a Rock Stacker!

So I will stack them near a house,
and I will stack them with a mouse,
and I will stack them with a fox
and I will stack them near a (bear) box,

And I will stack them in the rain, in the dark, and on a plain.
And by your car, and near a tree, for stacking is so fun, so fun you see!

And I will stack them near
And I will stack them far,
And I will stack them outside the bar,

And I will stack them here and there,
Say!  I will stack them EVERYWHERE!

And I will take pictures for all to see, for stacking rocks is a thing of glee!
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

since I mentioned Stonehenge and now see a story from Yahoo on a theory about it, I'll post the link here

http://news.yahoo.com/researc....20.html

Spindle, I love it, and for some reason, really laughed that you had changed Train to Plain. It works for me.

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Mar. 09 2013, 11:29 am)

(Owen571 @ Mar. 09 2013, 2:01 pm)

I've never been a rock-stacker.  But now that I know it annoys strangers so much as to prompt name-calling... I am now a Rock Stacker!

and I will stack them with a mouse,
and I will stack them with a fox
and I will stack them near a (bear) box,

And I will stack them in the rain, in the dark, and on a plain.
And by your car, and near a tree, for stacking is so fun, so fun you see!

And I will stack them outside the bar,

+1.   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's why I get soooo much enjoyment knocking them over, and at a fraction of the time and effort it took for the rock stackers to stack 'em.   It seems to annoy the rock stackers that someone would disturb their sacred stack.

Rumi   <~~~~~feels like 21st century scarlet pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel
~~~by Sir Percival RumiDude

They seek him here,
They seek in there,
Those rock stackers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven?
Is he in hell?
That damned elusive Pimpernel

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Mar. 09 2013, 2:44 pm)
since I mentioned Stonehenge and now see a story from Yahoo on a theory about it, I'll post the link here

http://news.yahoo.com/researc....20.html

Spindle, I love it, and for some reason, really laughed that you had changed Train to Plain. It works for me.

Kind of a lame effort, huh?  I should do better.  That's just how it came off my fingers, unedited.

Sometimes you just have to go Seuss on a thing.

Enjoy y'all!  http://www.weepeeple.com/drawer/stackingstonespage.htm
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Mar. 09 2013, 3:08 pm)

That's why I get soooo much enjoyment knocking them over, and at a fraction of the time and effort it took for the rock stackers to stack 'em.   It seems to annoy the rock stackers that someone would disturb their sacred stack.

Rumi   <~~~~~feels like 21st century scarlet pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel
~~~by Sir Percival RumiDude

The seek him here,
They seek in there,
Those rock stackers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven?
Is he in hell?
That damned elusive Pimpernel

Sounds like a mutually fun arrangement then.   :cool:

I intend to make some of my stacks in places stack-kickers would have to work to get at.

Like geocaching, only sweatier and no trinkets.

:D
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spindle:

May I?

and I will stack them with a mouse.
I will stack to spite the ignorant,
and those who are so intolerant.

And I will stack them in the rain, and spray them all with paint.
And by your car, and near a tree, colors running for all to see!

And I will stack them outside the bar.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to wear my sacred kilt whenever I hunt down rock stacks.  It's like a high priest uniform of sorts.  Makes me feel like I'm on a mission for god.

Rumi   <~~~~~annointed

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 09 2013, 3:20 pm)
Spindle:

May I?

and I will stack them with a mouse.
I will stack to spite the ignorant,
and those who are so intolerant.

And I will stack them in the rain, and spray them all with paint.
And by your car, and near a tree, colors running for all to see!

And I will stack them outside the bar.

Well done!  I like your version better.   :cool:
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Mar. 09 2013, 3:21 pm)
I like to wear my sacred kilt whenever I hunt down rock stacks.  It's like a high priest uniform of sorts.  Makes me feel like I'm on a mission for god.

Rumi   <~~~~~annointed

You may have just discovered your lifes calling!

:cool:

Start shadowing these guys:

http://www.teamsandtastic.com/RockStacking/
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Spindle.  You were the source of inspiration.  :D

From your link, this pic is cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think why this seems so funny Is all week long I have been in classes doing Dr. Seuss style landscapes and cooking Green eggs and ham and celebrating his March 3 birthday

--------------

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Mar. 09 2013, 12:21 pm)

Rumi   <~~~~~annointed

Ode to Rumi <~~~rock pile hacking  Dude.

I will hack them o'er the trail,
Give lost hikers no avail.
I will damn them with a pox,
They can go home in a box.

And I will hack them near
And I will hack them far,
I will hack them wherever they are!

I will hack them here and there,
Nay!  I will hack them EVERYWHERE!

And I will take pictures for all to see,
Me, my kilt, hacking rock piles to the hilt!

Self anointed, self appointed, cause I could,
Rock pilers everywhere will rue me, Dude !  <--  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Mar. 09 2013, 1:29 pm)
I am now a Rock Stacker!

Here's something for you to aspire to, then!
http://www.gravityglue.com/?page_id=93
118 replies since Mar. 09 2013, 11:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stacked rocks...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions