2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Day Light ST  whether you want it or not< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 5:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes a favorite annual chance to stick it to a societal dictate I would end.

Why is discussion of ending day light savings time rarely honestly stated?  But rather manipulated by media into a list of boring beneficial pros and cons and myopic anecdotes of individuals who either hate getting up an hour early like now in the spring or in the fall having an extra hour to sleep?  Well yes folks its that time of year again.

Why is ending day light savings time impossible in this era and who is behind it?   Prmarily because of political clout of our enormous retail industries.  But also entertainment, travel, leisure, dining, and sports industries.  Standard time is science based on Sun time when it is at its azimuth highest in the sky, as the tilted Earth rotates around the Sun. Day light savings time manipulates that natural balance for economic benefits to politically powerful segments of society.

Except in winter, there is additional daylight before people go off to work which in the mind of proponents is wasted time that could otherwise be spent shopping, going to the local cinema, enjoying a dinner at the local outdoor restaurant, or playing golf and whatever.  Simply put, people are more likely to engage in an activity if there are more day light hours left to do so. The psychological affect of darkness is like switching a light bulb off in many people's minds that has them leaving activities and going home.  Not good for retail.  But of course proponents could urge people to understand they can still go shopping after dark (not illegal even!) but of course they are the one's that least believe that.

One solution could be that businesses and corporations that employ we myriad Americans change working hours for their employees during seasons adjusting to when the sun rises.   But DLST propenents have zero chance of that happening since there is a vast spectrum of businesses with many different reasons for being, that few would allow politicians to force them into rigid hourly working hours merely to satisfy the retail industry that most have little economic common interest with.  Well at least if the vast public doesn't ask for working hour changes.  (But hey please don't mention that as a possibility because proponents like the current system just like it is.)

Instead they can more easily influence politicians and media to change the actual time of day which accomplishes the same thing. Of course media gets most of its income from advertizing and almost all that is from...retail.   Thus they have passed laws that force it on we masses whether we like it or not and media crafts articles and discussions conveniently leaving out the obvious, posing arguments in various ways it is beneficial that we ought to welcome, with token ways it is not just to make such seem like a balanced presentation.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yay!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like DST.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish we had DST all year long.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am very pro Daylight.

Clock "time" notsomuch. That's why I have TiVos, and a lamp and reflectors on my bike.

The shopping thing would seem to be waning what with artificially lit shopping malls and online shopping.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When told the reason for daylight saving time the old Indian said…
"Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."

If DST is so damn good, go to it year 'round.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 09 2013, 4:23 pm)
When told the reason for daylight saving time the old Indian said…
"Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."

If DST is so damn good, go to it year 'round.

Poor Indian.  It's what happens when you underestimate the intelligence of your enemy.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as our clocks in civilization agree, the point is moot.

Away from civilization, I could care less.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Mar. 09 2013, 4:34 pm)
As long as our clocks in civilization agree, the point is moot.

Away from civilization, I could care less.

Rumi      <~~~~~goes to eleven

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 16yo son playing high school baseball.  This means he will be driving home after practice during daylight instead of at night.

For those of you who can't relate to the significance of this, it's one less thing for a parent to worry about.
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 09 2013, 6:45 pm)

+1

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 09 2013, 7:45 pm)
I have a 16yo son playing high school baseball.  This means he will be driving home after practice during daylight instead of at night.

For those of you who can't relate to the significance of this, it's one less thing for a parent to worry about.

My reason isn't quite that good, but I do like getting home from work before dark once in a while.
 Post Number: 13
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd love year round dst. I don't like switching back & forth, but standard time is clearly the one to ditch. I love the long, light  evenings.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer to call whenever the sun comes up as "Time to get up".  When I worked, we started our day to coincide with enough light to be safely seen around the construction site.  That meant I had to get up at 4 am sometimes.  I did that begrudgingly.  Now that I am no longer working, sun up seems right to get about my day.  I only need 6-8 hours of sleep, so I can figure out when I should be going to bed.  

It just makes it easier if all of my community shares the same clock.  If left to our own inner timepieces, some of us would prefer to get up later and work during the hours most of us call Afternoon.  Good thing there are jobs that allow for that.  

Farmers work from sun up to sun down, and maybe a bit longer on both ends.  It can no longer be claimed DST saves energy, as several studies have now repudiated that claim.  

The part I never liked, was once the sun was no longer in my eyes while I drove to work, the DST would either start or end, and there I would be with the sun in my eyes for another month.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 1:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah DMT all year long would be pretty nice.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 16
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 09 2013, 8:28 pm)

+1

Can tell who lives north of 45* :D

I agree. Backwards, ridiculous practice.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 17
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vhwats da mattah, youse afwaid of zee little chwonologikall chaos?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 18
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure, it's a dumb practice. But I support-year round daylight savings for selfish reasons.

I hate working until 5 p.m. and then having to run in the dark. Year-round daylight savings would get me out of a lot of those night time runs.

Changing my work schedule has about as much chance as changing daylight savings.
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Mar. 10 2013, 6:37 am)

+1

I was thinking that, about the northern states caring more.  It doesn't really make that much difference in the southern states, which is why AZ doesn't bother.  Ditto HI--days are the same length all year.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 10 2013, 10:46 am)

(BradMT @ Mar. 10 2013, 6:37 am)

+1

I was thinking that, about the northern states caring more.  It doesn't really make that much difference in the southern states, which is why AZ doesn't bother.  Ditto HI--days are the same length all year.

Yep, I am sitting at 48.19* N.  It gets dark early in the winter and stays light late in the summer.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My other problem is living too far east in my time zone.  I could still live at this latitude and have the sun set an hour later year round.
 Post Number: 22
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does not matter. Whatever it is I/we wil deal with it. Time is irrelevant. Think about it.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 23
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love things about both.

Now with spring forward, I love having time to play outside with my kiddos after work/school and mess around in my garden. It sucks that we all have to drive to work/school in the dark. Also, my 3 year old doesn't go to bed as easily because it is just getting dark at 8pm. But, she sleeps in longer on weekend mornings!

When we fall back, I love how light it is in the mornings, I can get everyone up and get going and see on my way to work/school. The kids wake up with the sun, even on the weekends though. I hate having everyone come home and it get dark right away. It makes the evenings seem more rushed to get baths and dinner and bed. But, no trouble falling asleep.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 24
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it should be DST all year long. That way we wouldn't have to switch back  and forth and it would be light later.
 Post Number: 25
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Mar. 10 2013, 1:03 pm)
Time is irrelevant. Think about it.

Only if you live in the woods with no obligations in regular society... think about it.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 26
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DST helped my kids get on the bus in the light of the morning, and get off the bus still in daylight with time for sports practice, all year 'round.  Which I'm all for in winter.  It'd be great if we all could simply live according to our "inner clocks" to arise and sleep whenever it seemed right, but we collectively left that life long ago.  C'est la vie.  I see the reasons for the DST status quo, despite the OP's long-droning conspiracy theories about "politically powerful retailers" and all.  Meh.  I think it's fine the way it is.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This moving of clocks around can screw right off.

It'll be 3 weeks for my brains to get un-fubar'd every morning.

What time is the rest of the world on?  Anyone know? We should conform to whatever they're doing.  

Nevermind, I just looked it up.  

I need a nap.
 Post Number: 28
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Mar. 11 2013, 1:26 pm)

I need a nap.

Naps are good. :)

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 29
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From a hiking standpoint, I like it. Most of the places I've been hiking the last year or so require a 3-5 hour drive from home. With my job, most of my trips are Saturday/Sunday single nighters.

In the portions on the year when it gets light early and dark early, it's a lot harder to make logistics work. Sure, time is all relative and I could just set the alarm an hour earlier, but after a regular work week, my body feels a very big difference between getting up at 5 a.m. vs. 4 a.m.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 30
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And it's "Daylight Saving Time." Just one saving. [/peeve] :p

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
38 replies since Mar. 09 2013, 5:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Day Light ST  whether you want it or not
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions