2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A Question for Ye GMail Geeks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 3:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Gmail and would like to back up my emails.  I just installed Thunderbird and popped all mail.  In Gmail, I use various different folders -- so I created an identical set in Thunderbird.  But after popping, I noticed that all emails were dumped into my inbox!  I manually moved out everything from my inbox into the appropriate folders.  Not too bad -- but I don't want to keep doing this for future emails.

Is there a way to pop emails and have them land in the correct folders in Thunderbird -- and not all dumped into 'inbox'?

If impossible, are there free online services that can backup / restore Gmail (my email volume is actually quite modest - a fraction of a GB)?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMAP instead of POP3

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Tigger!  :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

also, you can create filters in Thunderbird.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  Curious about IMAP -- I understanding changes done @Gmail will be reflected in my local Thunderbird file.  But what about the other way around?  If I send an email or delete an email locally, will IMAP sync those actions back to GMail?  Or is IMAP a one-way synching only?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 1:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 14 2013, 9:20 pm)
Thanks.  Curious about IMAP -- I understanding changes done @Gmail will be reflected in my local Thunderbird file.  But what about the other way around?  If I send an email or delete an email locally, will IMAP sync those actions back to GMail?  Or is IMAP a one-way synching only?

IMAP means you are basically "live" so yes it will reflect both ways. You are just creating a local cached copy.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty cool...

--------------
 Post Number: 8
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMAP is the way of the future...

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which begs the question -- why pop mail if one can IMAP?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

POP3 means it is brought to your system without worry of data limits. You own it. Have us much as you want or your system can store (assuming the limitations of your mail program). Mind you, now you have to back it up if you want to protect it.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 18 2013, 12:55 pm)
POP3 means it is brought to your system without worry of data limits. You own it. Mind you, now you have to back it up...

I should have been clearer...  Say you're using internet mail (like Gmail or Yahoo) -- and it gives you the option of Pop or Imap -- so you can have the mail downloaded to your desktop as well.  When do you use which?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 18 2013, 12:57 pm)

(Tigger @ Mar. 18 2013, 12:55 pm)
POP3 means it is brought to your system without worry of data limits. You own it. Mind you, now you have to back it up...

I should have been clearer...  Say you're using internet mail (like Gmail or Yahoo) -- and it gives you the option of Pop or Imap -- so you can have the mail downloaded to your desktop as well.  When do you use which?

If you have one system that you primarily pull mail from, I would lean toward POP3. I would leave a copy on the server for a certain amount of days so that you can access mail from your other devices (like a phone or tablet that you want to make some quick responses to). If you have multiple systems and a folder structure you want access to and have it be identical on all systems, IMAP is what I would choose (Understanding that there is data limitations). Mind you, that is a loosely based decision. Each person's needs are different. You can even have a combination but not as effectively.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My one email system is Gmail.  I posted this thread a few days ago because I wanted some sort of offline / local backup.  I installed Thunderbird for this purpose.

Popping just dumped all my thousands of Gmail messages onto my T-bird's "in box".  IMAP, as you suggested, downloaded all my messages too -- but together with the folders -- all sorted out accurately.  So I was wondering what advantages (if any) popping has over imapping.  Anyway, I'll need to read up more on both -- out of morbid curiosity.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With IMAP, you are storing all of your data on GMail. The current default limit is 10 GB of storage (More than adequate for most people). If you needed more than 10 GB, you can either purchase more storage from Google or you could switch to an POP3 (downloading to your local system). The additional strategy of downloading locally would be for true "ownership" - nobody could hack your account and wipe out your mail without actually going on to your computer (mind you, most hosts have a backup of the mail and could restore it) and also POP3 provides a slightly faster mail interface (IMAP has to sync) on newer systems. IMAP on the local system is more of a temporary cache. It doesn't help with long term storage where that is required. You have to stay under that 10 GB limit vs. a POP3 where I could store years upon years worth of storage with no consequence. On older systems, IMAP is significantly slower in regards to the sync process and can strain the system.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see.  Thanks again, Tigger.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know, there's an offline Gmail App.  If you're running Chrome, it's relatively easy to add, and it will sync automatically when you connect.

https://chrome.google.com/webstor....kglhimk

IMAP is handy if you're transferring, but running two separate systems is completely unnecessary.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 18 2013, 1:30 pm)
You know, there's an offline Gmail App.  If you're running Chrome, it's relatively easy to add, and it will sync automatically when you connect.

https://chrome.google.com/webstor....kglhimk

IMAP is handy if you're transferring, but running two separate systems is completely unnecessary.

Yes, I have my Gmail set up for offline access.  And yes, maintaining another set via Thunderbird is probably an overkill -- given the minuscule chance of Google actually losing our mail messages permanently.

But there is always that tiny little chance of catastrophic mishap -- and maintaining a local set by imapping to Thunderbird is almost no effort.

--------------
16 replies since Mar. 14 2013, 3:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A Question for Ye GMail Geeks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions