2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Solo Traveling to Yellowstone-Need Hiking Group, Yellowstone National Park< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sportsguy9981 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 9:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im a 31 year old guy that will be traveling solo to Yellowstone this summer and Im interested in meeting up with a group to do some hiking and sightseeing. Ive come across one that seems interesting, but it is $825 for 5 days. Are there any that arent as expensive? The link for that one is here :http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/yeb.html
Im looking for a group to hang out with for a week to do some hiking and other sightseeing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. I realize the Park Rangers offer short hiking tours in the park, but there are no reservations for this and they fill up rather quickly.. Id like to have something more planned out since I will be traveling alone.  I plan on not having a vehicle and I dont want to use the bus tour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

*****WHEN?****

The Sierra Club here in Jackson usually does dayhikes on Saturdays and Wednesday evenings, free even if you're not a member. If you were to stay at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch you might meet a couple of hikers there.

I try and dayhike one if not two days a week in the summer, so if you're interested I'm a few months from fifty and hike the area extensively. I will often truck camp near a trailhead and get a very early start to see wildlife.

Grand Teton is far more conducive to truly spectacular dayhiking than  Yellowstone because it is more condensed and accessible, a huge advantage if you will be without vehicle. If you stay at the Climbers Ranch the dayhiking right out your door is truly amazing. If you hooked up with me I could maybe do a couple of days in Yellowstone. I try and hike Avalanche Peak every year.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If anyone is interested in a couple of nights or more of camping at either Yellowstone and/or Tetons -- I'm game!   :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cannot do more than a two day overnight in summer (duty calls), but I am always game for what I can fit in the schedule. I live 40 miles from the east gate.

I also know a thing or two about local tourist and non-tourist destinations.

Ben and Sportsguy, when do you plan on being here?
 Post Number: 5
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be out there the week before Labor Day for 10 days (with the exception of 2012 when the Maroon Bells got in the way, damn it)......as usual.
If anyone is around, I'm available.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can come any time in July or August.. I would appreciate seeing the Tetons that would be fun. Im not sure if can join you in the Tetons, to the guy who replied regarding that, I'm continuing to see the groups that will be hiking and may even consider a permitted backpacking business in the area to do my hiking but they are very expensive.  Do you know of any that arent as expensive?  Also do you know of any groups of younger people in their 20's and 30's that do hiking in the Tetons or Yellowstone anyone?  Ideally it would be nice to do that with someone that age, im looking to do some hiking but also meet some people my age doing it.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kcwins @ Mar. 15 2013, 5:29 pm)
I'll be out there the week before Labor Day for 10 days (with the exception of 2012 when the Maroon Bells got in the way, damn it)......as usual.
If anyone is around, I'm available.

I'm game!  But it reads like you go there (Yellowstone / Tetons) regularly -- except for 2012?  If so, would you be bored re-visiting "highlights" with a first timer (me) -- rather than exploring esoteric nooks and crannies on your own?

Sportsguy - hope you won't mind my tacking on questions...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sportsguy,

You're not cruising for chicks here, are you? With all due respect this forum is populated with people of all ages. I know for a fact Wycan is probably the only guy here that might yet be a 30 snapper.

For the rest of us we're all the same age on the trail. So if it doesn't work out for Sportsguy schedules permitting I'd be up for aclimating KC on Avalanche Peak, not far for Wycan, could do the Lamar in the evening, could try and get a campground res at Slough or something else, or I know folks with a great hotel in Silvergate we could get a decent rate on. Ben, you'd love it. Ben the three of us can also give you lots of suggestions for this ecosystem we're all enthralled with. As to the the first timer things, well, the list is long and the country broad. Don't think the best priorities are necessarily found in your guide book. If KC doesn't want to do the Crest again there's no reason you can't do it on your own or drage Zeke into it, he was saying something about it in Find a Hiking Partner some time back. KC might go for the Northern part of the Range, and if he does all I can say is that is one of the most underrated places in the known Universe.

If Wycan didn't mind coming to the Tetons or Southern Absaroka we could do somehting different than Avalanche. But Avalanche does put Yellowstone into an amazing perspective you don't see anywhere else. It's pretty special.

Well, Sportsguy, if you're horrified having wandered into the world of the middleaged and more I think Most of us will likely bow out of the thread so you can get replies from the folks you want to, and that's fine. If we don't see you have a great trip man.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sportsguy9981 @ Mar. 18 2013, 7:50 am)
I can come any time in July or August.. I would appreciate seeing the Tetons that would be fun. Im not sure if can join you in the Tetons, to the guy who replied regarding that, I'm continuing to see the groups that will be hiking and may even consider a permitted backpacking business in the area to do my hiking but they are very expensive.  Do you know of any that arent as expensive?  Also do you know of any groups of younger people in their 20's and 30's that do hiking in the Tetons or Yellowstone anyone?  Ideally it would be nice to do that with someone that age, im looking to do some hiking but also meet some people my age doing it.

If you wanted to do a shorter trip, my trips are free. Ok, maybe a beer or two.

I don't have a vagina, but I am less than 40.  :laugh:

As far as groups, I meet a lot of church groups, scout groups, but most of the ones I see are traveling together. As suggested you may want to look at something like a Sierra Club outing.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep me posted if ya'll are doing a trip here, if I can swing it I will meetcha.
 Post Number: 11
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While my usual trip around Labor Day was axed, I still managed to sneak out for just shy of a week at the end of September. Spent just enough time North of Moran to wet my appetite.

No plan as of yet. I just know that I will be there from August 31st through at least September 8th. I shall keep you all posted. If I remember right, DC owes me a beer or 2. Peace

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im still considering just coming out there and meeting locals for a backpacking trip or joining one of the groups that charge like $800 for 4 or 5 nights.. which seems realy high in price for me.  Im curious what are the best hiking trails in Yellowstone?  I dont want to end up paying $800 for a group like REI or Wilderness Inquiery (which offer these backpacking overnight trips in Yellowstone) to find out that I missed out on the best hikes in the park... because this will likely be my first and last trip to the park for at least 5 years.
I also dont have any backpacking gear, so I would need to purchase a tent, backpack and anything else I would need, and Im wondering if the cost of that would be so great that doing a tour where those items were included would help.  Also any info on what kind of tent and backpack I would need for a 4 or 5 night backpacking hike would be appreciated from anybody who has hiked in the park in the past.  I plan on coming out there any time in July or early August as well, if there is anybody interested in possibly meeting up to do a few of the best hikes in the park.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No gear and possibly little to no hiking experience?  You might just be able to latch on to a more experienced group if you keep your dates and destinations and partners flexible -- maybe one or two hikers willing to help you shop and do an overnighter or weekender with you, and showing you the ropes, so to speak.  And with some experience, then perhaps you can go on to Yellowstone for your week's sojourn -- alone or with others.

But right now, you are basically asking for people to help you all the way, from shopping to driving and guiding you specifically at Yellowstone.  And you also want people your own age or younger.  Maybe, but I think that's a lot of conditions you are putting in.  And your contribution to the group?  Your wit and your good looks?

If you can't find anyone to hold your hand, and you are unwilling to take initial baby steps (1 or 2 nights' local hikes) beforehand -- then it might not be a bad idea paying to join a group excursion.  And rent the gear instead of buying.  You'll learn quickly by doing -- and after the trip, you will also have much better ideas just what kind of gear will work well for you.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also dont have any backpacking gear, so I would need to purchase a tent, backpack and anything else I would need, and Im wondering if the cost of that would be so great that doing a tour where those items were included would help.  Also any info on what kind of tent and backpack I would need for a 4 or 5 night backpacking hike would be appreciated from anybody who has hiked in the park in the past.

You are basically asking us to teach you Backpacking -- which is hard to do on a forum.  Before you plunge both feet into buying tent and pack and all that, I highly recommend reading one or more of the books listed in the second post here on this thread.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I knew for sure you would be there the same time as me, I would be happy to loan you everything you need outside of clothing. I have enough gear for at least six people. Tent, bag, pack, cook set, etc......... Let me know. Like I said, I'll be there for 10 days or so the week before Labor Day.
I may be a few years north of 30, but I'm a manchild at heart.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For shorter hikes and especialy no car I would suggest Grand Teton: the scale is more suited to that.

Truly spectacular place and heck there's always the Teton Village tram to get you up so your first route could be essentially all "downhill".
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It may sound a bit harsh, but I kind of have to echo Ben's comments.  What you're asking for is pretty wide open.  I'd be glad to help out if I am around, but you sort of made it clear you wouldn't want to be around an old guy like me regardless of my experience.

Good luck on finding the perfect hiking companions.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get up the Tram in Teton Village and walk downhill... Grand Teton is spectacular and much suited to the scale of someone without a car. I can't imagine how to get around Yellowstone without a car....

Get outfitted at Teton Mountaineering.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Есть много горячих девушек молдавских здесь, в Джексон.

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 20 2013, 2:35 pm)
Есть много горячих девушек молдавских здесь, в Джексон.

Really?  I remember Джексон a yuppy oasis -- nice, but not that горячих.   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a lot of Russian, Moldovan, Ukranian, etc. folks here in Jackson on some special work visa. I can honestly say some of the Moldovan women I've seen are among the most beautiful I've ever seen anywhere.

Not yuppies, trustafarians.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 20 2013, 3:01 pm)
We have a lot of Russian, Moldovan, Ukranian, etc. folks here in Jackson on some special work visa. I can honestly say some of the Moldovan women I've seen are among the most beautiful I've ever seen anywhere.

Not yuppies, trustafarians.

My loss... I was there back in 2005.  :(

But having been to eastern Europe, I do agree with you.  Hot.  And well dressed too.  I was told there, that when you are in the deepest, roughest wilderness, and you see a woman in high heels, you can be sure she is Ukrainian!  Of course, the Russians can say the same.

As for trustafarians -- again, maybe things have changed, but I remember gentry, not hippie or 'pretend hippie'.  Need to update self.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 20 2013, 5:30 pm)
I can't imagine how to get around Yellowstone without a car....

I always hitch-hike.  Works for me and I'm pretty ugly.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 20 2013, 5:05 pm)
It may sound a bit harsh, but I kind of have to echo Ben's comments.  What you're asking for is pretty wide open.  I'd be glad to help out if I am around, but you sort of made it clear you wouldn't want to be around an old guy like me regardless of my experience.

Good luck on finding the perfect hiking companions.

Bingo.  Don't discount the "old" folks who have a lifetime of knowledge and know when to stop and smell the roses.  It ain't about miles per day.

I've never met Jer in person, but I'd hike with him for sure.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 20 2013, 8:03 pm)

Why thank you reubenstump.  I'd like that.  Maybe we can swing it sometime in the future.  As as for being old, I guess I am.  And while I'm no spring chicken, but I'm pretty sure I'm not dead yet.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 6:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 20 2013, 10:16 pm)

(reubenstump @ Mar. 20 2013, 8:03 pm)

Why thank you reubenstump.  I'd like that.  Maybe we can swing it sometime in the future.  As as for being old, I guess I am.  And while I'm no spring chicken, but I'm pretty sure I'm not dead yet.

Same here.  At least our sock puppets will live on.   :D
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

kcwins, thanks I'll get back to you if I can come at that time, I appreciate the support.  Sorry if I made it sound like I didnt want to be around people older then me, thats not the case.  I just have went on volunteer trips in college with all college people my age and it was fun to be around the same age group, I was looking more for people like that but I understand that hiking is different, experience matters and I want to be with somebody experienced and knows what they are doing out there.  Im traveling solo thats all so thats why I mentioned being around people in my age group, but also its important to have somebody in the group that has the experience and knows where they need to go.
If I choose to go the route of paying for the group hiking in the park, does anyone have any better options for me?  All I could see was the one I mentioned in the first post through REI , which was like 4 or 5 nights for around $800.  If there are enough people on this forum that would like to join together I could just go that route, but yeah I am inexperienced out there but could read into what I need to purchase if needed and its up to those on here if they're willing to have somebody new join them, I understand if they dont but I dont plan on going out there and having people hold my hand either.
 Post Number: 28
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sportsguy9981 @ Mar. 21 2013, 8:50 am)
kcwins, thanks I'll get back to you if I can come at that time, I appreciate the support.

The offer stands. The views and wildlife in the Tetons WON'T disappoint!

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trustafarians around here have many faces. Horseperson, Skier/Boarder/Climber, River Rat, Flyfisher, Perenial Rookie Realtor...

But they almost all make it to the party.

--------------

Post Number: 30
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Yellowstone Institute offers some backpacking courses/trips.  They are just a little less expensive than the REI trips you've already found, but I don't think you could do better as far as the guides. They're all naturalists and experts on the local area.

http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/institu....id=1452

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
101 replies since Mar. 15 2013, 9:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Solo Traveling to Yellowstone-Need Hiking Group
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions