2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Why such simple questions?, Just do what comes naturally!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, even though I've got over ONE HUNDRED POSTS many of you still consider me a n00b. So be it--you don't know me, or my experience. Fair enough.

But, really, WTF? Why so many simplistic posts with self-evident answers getting dozens--if not scores--of well-meaning but overcooked responses?

How do you wear your raincoat? How do you carry your flashlight? Why do my boots stink? Is it safe to hike alone? How could he have just disappeared in the woods? How many sheets of toilet paper should I bring?

It really isn't that mysterious. In the end, it's just walking outdoors, with what you need to survive carried along, like we've done since bipedalism was invented.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why the questions?  Occasionally a troll, but mostly people who really have no experience of the outdoors, maybe outside the city, needing to get some reassurance that they can, in fact, tap into "what comes naturally."

Why do we all answer?  Well, heck, we all like to hear the sound of our own voices.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:33 pm)
. . . But, really, WTF? Why so many simplistic posts with self-evident answers getting dozens--if not scores--of well-meaning but overcooked responses?

How do you wear your raincoat? How do you carry your flashlight? Why do my boots stink? Is it safe to hike alone? How could he have just disappeared in the woods? How many sheets of toilet paper should I bring? . . .

Personally, I'm happy to see backpacking questions on a backpacking forum — simplistic or not. You are certainly welcome to ask more thought-provoking questions, if you have them.

But don't be surprised if someone remembers a half-dozen threads on the same topic. Suits me fine. Ask away.

(waterdog @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:33 pm)
. . . In the end, it's just walking outdoors, with what you need to survive carried along, like we've done since bipedalism was invented. . . .

If everything is so simple and self-evident, why have a backpacking magazine with a backpacking forum at all?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People take different approaches.

I read books and went out with more experienced friends and admittedly, got a bit lucky.

Others, these days, post questions that come to them on an internet forum.

Why answer? Judging takes too much energy and life is short.

And not everyone has friends that will or can answer.

Shrug.

Don't want to bother? Then don't click on the thread... easy as that.
 Post Number: 5
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmm 120 posts in 11 years.  Looks like someone is dusting off a sock puppet.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:04 pm)

Ha, hadn't noticed that.

Good eye.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:51 pm)
If everything is so simple and self-evident, why have a backpacking magazine with a backpacking forum at all?

Well, that's a good question.

Here's a few reasons I can think of:

For fun.
To sell us stuff (not a bad thing).
Because our daily lives are so complicated, we've forgotten how to be simple.
As a distraction from our complicated lives when we can't manage to get outside (like right now!)

Cheers!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Mar. 20 2013, 12:04 am)

No, not at all.

When I joined the forum about 1 1/2--2 months ago, there was some kind of digital ghost that I haven't been able to get rid of attached either to my posting name (waterdog) or my email address. Wasn't able to figure out how to shed it, it's like a remora, a leech, a chigger, or a tick...

Really.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most people enjoy talking about what they know and like.  Human nature.  I guess if you don't like it, you don't have to frequent these forums.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just food for thought, not troll food.

When simple problems garner complex solutions, rather than vice versa, it begs questioning.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe if you post that picture of the dogs and cut and past some wiki stuff they will believe you.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Believe what?

--------------
 Post Number: 14
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 15
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 6:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because it's human nature to hold discourse on everything.

Go ahead and ask "how do you deal with your period in the backcountry?" over in the womens forum.   Hang on for the ride.

Nothing is simplistic.
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
 Post Number: 17
CheckingOut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am pretty sure this post is the start of my categorization as a noob for awhile.

What I have noticed regarding forums is there are two kinds of people.
One that searches for the information on their own, and after an exhaustive search posts something.
The other kind is someone who didn't bother to use the search function and likes to be told answers.

Second kind isn't necessarily a bad thing. Bringing life to past topics can stimulate new dialogue or find new relevance.
 Post Number: 18
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 19 2013, 11:33 pm)
...like we've done since bipedalism was invented.

Well that just shot that evolution theory out of the water!  I wonder who holds the patent holds a patent???

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:47 pm)
Why do we all answer?  Well, heck, we all like to hear the sound of our own voices.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

And that my friends is the truth.

Just like Facebook is really more or less the cyber equivalent of the "Christmas Letter"... ie, what amounts to a socially sanctioned brag-fest or personal advertisement.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 20
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, here is a really tuff question:

How do you get that orange stuff off of your fingers after eating a bag of Cheetos ?

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 21
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Mar. 20 2013, 8:46 am)

How do you get that orange stuff off of your fingers after eating a bag of Cheetos ?

:laugh:

red dog, if you don't know the answer to that, you are missing the best part of eating cheetos.  :p
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Mar. 20 2013, 6:58 am)

(red dog @ Mar. 20 2013, 8:46 am)

:laugh:

red dog, if you don't know the answer to that, you are missing the best part of eating cheetos.  :p

There's a "best part" of eating Cheetos? :)

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 19 2013, 10:14 pm)

I think that's unfair Ben...

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Mar. 20 2013, 6:40 am)
Go ahead and ask "how do you deal with your period in the backcountry?" over in the womens forum.   Hang on for the ride.

Nothing is simplistic.

Well, if there's a good, simplistic answer to that one, let me know. I'll have my 13 and 15 year-old daughters read it before their first backpacking trip this summer!

--------------
 Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good gravy, someone woke up grumpy this morning. :p

They're just questions. Some don't get answered at all. Most get a variety of answers that the OP gets to filter through his/her own lens and pick something useful out of. Some, of course, just like to start arguments and play blame games. I don't think we have any of those around here though. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it bothers you that much then don't look at the simple questions. I always hear educators say though that "There are no stupid questions" I know that some questions might seem rather simple but to the person asking the question it may not be simple.
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CheckingOut @ Mar. 20 2013, 4:17 am)
I am pretty sure this post is the start of my categorization as a noob for awhile.

What I have noticed regarding forums is there are two kinds of people.
One that searches for the information on their own, and after an exhaustive search posts something.
The other kind is someone who didn't bother to use the search function and likes to be told answers.

Second kind isn't necessarily a bad thing. Bringing life to past topics can stimulate new dialogue or find new relevance.

What marks you as a Noob is that you don't know that the "search" function on these forums is somewhere a long way south of useless.  I for one have completely given up on it.  

So ask away.  Yeah, we've probably answered it before.  But since we can't find it, probably (after a weekend at Pickle Gulch or HOTB) can't remember what we said, and like to talk, we'll answer anyway!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
Autoeng Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Mar. 20 2013, 11:52 am)
What marks you as a Noob is that you don't know that the "search" function on these forums is somewhere a long way south of useless.  I for one have completely given up on it.  

So ask away.  Yeah, we've probably answered it before.  But since we can't find it, probably (after a weekend at Pickle Gulch or HOTB) can't remember what we said, and like to talk, we'll answer anyway!

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Great answer Rebecca. The search function here sucks!
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Mar. 20 2013, 6:46 am)

Dip your fingers in acetone, then have someone light them on fire.

note: this will not remove the orange stuff, as it is impervious to heat levels below "sun" "magma" and "nuclear fusion", but your skin will peel off, taking the orange stuff with it.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

search function works just fine, just change the "this month and" drop-down to "older"
73 replies since Mar. 19 2013, 11:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Why such simple questions?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions