2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wolf attack, What would you do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"...and as I turned back to my truck all of a sudden this wolf jumped me, and all I could feel was fur on my face and jaws around my neck. There was no growling. He was just suddenly there, wrapped around my neck..."

Full story:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013....ng-calm
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would open my eyes, as I'd most likely be dreaming.

Interactions and outright attacks on humans are exceedingly rare. Local reports suggest the wolf in question may have since been shot. Conservation officers are investigating, while Ms. Hepp is recovering.
 Post Number: 3
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most have been old hungery wolf who could no longer hunt.

Glad she is OK, that's a crazy story!

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 4
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exceedingly rare? I guess they don't recall when Belle and her father were attacked by wolves when they got lost in the forest! And what about Bilbo? (Or was it Frodo? I don't remember).
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as I dwell on super sized wolves I bet it wasn't as big as she thought.

This is incredibly odd. There has to be some sort of variable we are not hearing about here. Danger to adult humans is not one of my concerns with wolves.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some mighty big adult males out there...

Glad she's ok.

Rarity for sure and not something I ever think about... too many grizzlies around to worry about wolves.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are too many unreliable claims in that article for me to simply take it at face value. For instance, at 200 pounds, that wolf would be about the largest ever found in North America. And if such a 200-pound wolf were to "clamp down" and "lock jaws" on that woman's neck, she probably would not have had such pathetically small wounds as shown in the photographs.

The article suggests that the wolf bit the woman because the wolf was hungry. So now we are supposed to believe that a hungry wolf released its grip on a calm woman? What happened? The wolf lost its appetite at the sight of blood?

The advice given for predatory attacks (i.e. when the animal is intent on feeding) is to fight back — rather than to remain calm. The claims that the wolf released its grip together with the rather mild bite marks defy the claim that the wolf was hungry and intent on feeding.

So was this just a warning bite then? What warning did the wolf have in mind to travel a mile directly toward the woman and people around her and then deliver such an insignificant bite?

The story, as written, does not make much sense. Maybe that suggests to some folks that wolves are wildly unpredictable. Perhaps. But it suggests to me that the writer was more interested in a wild story than in getting the facts straight.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Starting to get the real story now.  Just another brainless person who thinks that wild carnivores can be petted and fed.  Probably offered a flavor of chips that the wolf hated!  heh

A man from northern Manitoba is disputing a woman's account of a wolf attack earlier this month at the side of a highway.

Clayton Ross, who was stopped on the side of Highway 6, near Grand Rapids, said he watched the woman get out of her car and offer the animal food.
Dawn Hepp shows the wounds on her neck. (Courtesy Dawn Hepp)Dawn Hepp shows the wounds on her neck. (Courtesy Dawn Hepp)
"Something like a bag of chips or something, I don't know. The wolf was slowly walking up to her, and she wouldn't even do anything," he said, adding the animal was scrawny and appeared to be dazed.

Ross said the wolf did suddenly attack the woman, and he saw her put her arms up to block the attack.

He spoke with her after to make sure she was OK. Ross said she was very calm and told him she was fine, then got into her car and left.

Dawn Hepp told CBC News earlier this week that she pulled over to the side of the highway to help another driver on March 8. When she walked over to the car, the wolf lunged at her in an unprovoked attack, she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news....ba.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Mar. 24 2013, 12:41 pm)
The advice given for predatory attacks (i.e. when the animal is intent on feeding) is to fight back — rather than to remain calm.

What warning did the wolf have in mind to travel a mile directly toward the woman and people around her and then deliver such an insignificant bite?

What would I do if I a wolf jumped me from behind and began chewing on my neck? If I didn't immediately die of a coronary, I'd probably soon drown in my own urine and feces. If I survived that, I'd call 911 on my cell phone for Sarah Palin to come shoot it with her AR15 from her helicopter. If she were still out having lunch with Wayne LaPierre at CPAC, I'd start fumbling around for my handgun so I could shoot myself.

Travis:

I have read that there has never been a documented account of a wolf attack human fatality in North America. So, there isn't much in the way of anecdotal evidence to suggest whether one should run, fight back, or stay calm/play dead if attacked by a wolf. Apparently, you fight back with mountain lions and play dead with grizz.

One can't assume that the wolf seen "a mile away" (really?) was the same wolf that jumped her.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 10
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She apparently escaped by giving the wolf "a look of reproach that said: How dare you." Right.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 11
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 24 2013, 11:48 am)
Travis:

I have read that there has never been a documented account of a wolf attack human fatality in North America. So, there isn't much in the way of anecdotal evidence to suggest whether one should run, fight back, or stay calm/play dead if attacked by a wolf. Apparently, you fight back with mountain lions and play dead with grizz.

You make a good point, I think. There have been enough incidents with mountain lions, black bears, and grizzlies to arrive at a general formula for handling such attacks. But with wolves, the evidence is scarce partly because the attacks are so rare.

The general advice given used to be that it's better to fight back against mountain lions and black bears but to play dead with grizzlies. The idea was that mountain lions and black bears have been known to break off the attack when the victim fights back. But with grizzlies you can't win. That was the general understanding.

But Stephen Herrero, considered the best expert on grizzly attacks, arrives at a slightly different remedy. In Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance Herrero discusses various types of attacks by both black bears and grizzlies. And he concludes, speaking of both species, "If an attack cannot be deterred and is defensive, play dead; if predatory, fight back." * (See citation below.)

So now we have the advice to fight back against mountain lions, black bears, and grizzlies IF that animal's attack is predatory, that is, intent on feeding. If the grizzly is merely protecting itself or its young from what it perceives to be a human attack, the person is to play dead to prove it is not a threat.

So with the other notable large predators, mountain lions, black bears, and grizzlies, we are urged to fight back against predatory attacks. The idea with the grizzly now is that if it really wants to eat you, playing dead will do nothing to stop it. Fighting back may be nearly hopeless in that case, but playing dead is certainly so.

In absence of better documentation on wolves, I'd suggest we are better off fighting back against a predatory attack. That is the advice with other large predators, including grizzlies now. And wolves are not nearly so large as grizzlies or even black bears.

(This recent thread on wolf attacks debates how many there have actually been.)

* Stephen Herrero, Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, 2nd ed. (Guilford, Connecticut: The Lyons Press, 2002), 107.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting info, Travis.

All I can tell you is I've never seen a real wolf, in spite of having taken a couple of week-long mid-winter XC ski/snowshoe expeditions in Ontario, and caribou hunting on the Ungava Peninsula in Quebec.

Tent camping on an island in the middle of a frozen lake in Algonquin, we woke up to find a single set of wolf tracks, coming from the horizon, circling the island and tents once, and returning back to the horizon over the same tracks. Never found a hair, just some very large prints in the snow. It was -40 at night, and the ranger told us we were the only visitors known to be in the entire Provincial Park.

Majestic and awe-inspiring, even romantic, but with an undercurrent of being slightly unnerving.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 13
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would relieve my bladder in order to deter my attacker.  Oh wait, that's in the event I'm being raped. ???

Seriously, what would I do?  I'd probably whiz on myself!  :p

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An animal that can take down full grown moose, elk and bison deterred by a look AFTER it clamped on her throat? Yeah. Right.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 24 2013, 10:17 pm)
An animal that can take down full grown moose, elk and bison deterred by a look AFTER it clamped on her throat? Yeah. Right.

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm not sure a lone wolf can typically subdue those beasts by themselves. That's why they hunt in packs, eh?

My wife sometimes give me looks like that, though.

Anyway, with your screen name, I assume you're more familiar with this creature than I am. I've never seen one.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 24 2013, 10:34 am)
Starting to get the real story now.  Just another brainless person who thinks that wild carnivores can be petted and fed.  Probably offered a flavor of chips that the wolf hated!  heh

A man from northern Manitoba is disputing a woman's account of a wolf attack earlier this month at the side of a highway.

Clayton Ross, who was stopped on the side of Highway 6, near Grand Rapids, said he watched the woman get out of her car and offer the animal food.
Dawn Hepp shows the wounds on her neck. (Courtesy Dawn Hepp)Dawn Hepp shows the wounds on her neck. (Courtesy Dawn Hepp)
"Something like a bag of chips or something, I don't know. The wolf was slowly walking up to her, and she wouldn't even do anything," he said, adding the animal was scrawny and appeared to be dazed.

Ross said the wolf did suddenly attack the woman, and he saw her put her arms up to block the attack.

He spoke with her after to make sure she was OK. Ross said she was very calm and told him she was fine, then got into her car and left.

Dawn Hepp told CBC News earlier this week that she pulled over to the side of the highway to help another driver on March 8. When she walked over to the car, the wolf lunged at her in an unprovoked attack, she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news....ba.html

It was kinda strange the original article did not have any quotes from anyone but the supposed victim of this alledged 200 pound wolf.  *shakes head*

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 24 2013, 9:20 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 24 2013, 10:17 pm)

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm not sure a lone wolf can typically subdue those beasts by themselves. That's why they hunt in packs, eh?

My wife sometimes give me looks like that, though.

Anyway, with your screen name, I assume you're more familiar with this creature than I am. I've never seen one.

True that rarely can a single wolf take down an adult of those species but then the average wolf size is around 100# or so, half what she's claiming. A healthy 200# wolf could possibly do it.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 7:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is one of the most odd stories I've read in a while. Not too heavy on facts either.
I don't know what to make of it.
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the weight estimate (200#) can be taken with a grain of salt.  It's akin to every story of a 250# juvenile black bear someone sees in the backwoods that turns into an "800 pound boar!" once the story gets home.  Judging weight accurately from a guess is a very hard thing to do, much moreso for someone who's never before weighed an animal and has a flair for the dramatic (as people tend to have when telling dramatic stories... nothing against her personally, it happens to the best of us).

I can't say for certain it wasn't a 200# wolf (I surely wasn't there and that size isn't totally unheard of), but I'd put my money 50:1 against it and call it a safe bet, for what it's worth.

- Mike

p.s. -- I do have a small handful of backcountry wolf stories, but I don't think they really bear any relevance to this story, fwiw.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd kick it in the taint.  That would learn it.
 Post Number: 21
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Years ago I was at the Rainbow Family Gathering in Vermont. A bunch of folks and I were at the 'welcome center' sitting around a large campfire. Now, the 'welcome center' was 5 miles from the nearest parking lot. This big guy comes walking up, horse in tow. He ties the horse off to a tree and walks over to stand by the fire. He was wearing a ragged fur coat.

After a few minutes, someone said, "Um, sir, I don't appreciate you wearing that around us."

He looked down at his coat, then at the offended one and said, "I'm wearing what's left of what killed my last horse."

There was a kind of hush... And I don't know if it was from a sense of awe or terror.

Never did find out what the animal hide was, but it looked like he made the jacket himself.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 22
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone who can see a wolf at one mile would have such strong telescopic sight that a 20 lb wolf would appear to be a 200 lb wolf, up close.

Totally made up story as cover for the stupidity of trying to hand feed a sick wolf that had approached two cars stopped on the road.

I am surprised that the medical staff is not requiring a series of rabies shots, that would certainly teach her not to pet wolves, and not to lie about it.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm dubious of her story.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Mar. 25 2013, 8:51 pm)
I'm dubious of her story.

You need to read the entire thread. Her story was tossed in the trash heap.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 25
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 25 2013, 10:10 am)
I think the weight estimate (200#) can be taken with a grain of salt.  It's akin to every story of a 250# juvenile black bear someone sees in the backwoods that turns into an "800 pound boar!" once the story gets home.  Judging weight accurately from a guess is a very hard thing to do, much moreso for someone who's never before weighed an animal and has a flair for the dramatic (as people tend to have when telling dramatic stories... nothing against her personally, it happens to the best of us).

I can't say for certain it wasn't a 200# wolf (I surely wasn't there and that size isn't totally unheard of), but I'd put my money 50:1 against it and call it a safe bet, for what it's worth.

- Mike

p.s. -- I do have a small handful of backcountry wolf stories, but I don't think they really bear any relevance to this story, fwiw.

When you were in Alaska and your beacon got pulled off, I recall the SAR team leader stating that when they were doing their "training" sweep looking for you, they spotted a bear estimated at 1,800 lbs in your neighborhood.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 26
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Mar. 26 2013, 11:02 am)
When you were in Alaska and your beacon got pulled off, I recall the SAR team leader stating that when they were doing their "training" sweep looking for you, they spotted a bear estimated at 1,800 lbs in your neighborhood.

I kicked it in the taint.  That learned it.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

largest recorded wolf kill in Alaska is 132 pounds so if we could use the bell curve 200 pounds would be one rare woof.

Me? I'd given a tarzan yodel after I tossed the thing off my neck.
 Post Number: 28
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Mar. 25 2013, 5:12 pm)
I am surprised that the medical staff is not requiring a series of rabies shots, that would certainly teach her not to pet wolves, and not to lie about it.

Oh, she's getting the shots....

I've heard they're not much fun.

You can't fix stupid.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 26 2013, 3:01 pm)
You can't fix stupid.

Sure you can. Wrap her up in bacon and toss her to a pack of wolves.... :)

--------------

Post Number: 30
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I'd turn it into a gun fight.....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
34 replies since Mar. 24 2013, 9:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wolf attack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions