2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: My pickup, Should I have it painted?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 8:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for a little input here.  I have a 1996 Ford Ranger extended cab pickup, 5 speed standard transmission with 96,138 miles on it.  Best vehicle I've ever had.  The interior is in excellent shape and it runs great.  The only mechanical work I've ever had done is basic maintenance and wear items i.e. brakes, shocks, etc.  However, the paint is starting to seriously deteriorate and it really needs to be repainted.  I have a guy who has done excellent work for me in the past and he'll paint it, including the fiberglass shell, for $1500.  So, since I really like this truck I am seriously considering having it painted.  The rub of course, is it worth it with that kind of mileage.  I'd hate to sink the money into a paint job and then have some major mechanical problem crop up that costs me a bundle.  But $1500 is a lot cheaper than an a new truck which I really don't want.  I like this one.

Your thoughts?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bring your truck to a trusted mechanic -- or friend who knows the stuff -- and get their opinion.  If the major systems are still in fine shape, then I would get it painted.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

96,000 is nothing.  My 95 nissan finally gave it up at 274,750 miles.....blowing oil.  I had it nearly 18 years....it was still running and a friends kid decided he'd take it.....sold it to him for 5 bucks and then my wife took the five.....

So, I broke down and bought a new Altima Thursday.

Anyway, I think I'd paint it and keep driving it if it were mine..

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know about the longevity of Fords, but my '93 Honda Civic (160,000 mi) and '96 Isuzu Trooper (150,000 mi) are still purring like kittens with only minor maintenance issues.

I'd keep the truck.

But $1500 for a paint job is way beyond highway robbery, just my $0.02 worth.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The patina it creates over time could be better than any paint job. Like a worn leather jacket or a beat up thermos.
 Post Number: 6
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would probably paint it, but there's all kinds of paint jobs out there.  For a truck like that and in that condition I'd probably opt for a cheaper paint job ($500 or less).  The quality won't be as good but for a 17 year old truck I think it would be just fine.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Revo and SWT comments about the price kind of surprise me.  I had several estimates and $1500 is by far the lowest estimate. Some came in as high as $4500.  Maybe I'd better shop around some more.  BTW, there is no body damage but there is a little rust on the cab.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally haven't gotten a paint job for any of my vehicles in over 18 years.  Back then I remember clipping a coupon out of the paper for a $300 paint job at a local Maaco Paint shop.  Maybe prices have gone up.  My brother recently had an older collectible repainted for around $4,000.  That was removing all the windshields and parts to spray just the body.  

Not that your truck isn't worth it but I envisioned you getting a paint job where they just tape off the windshield and other areas and paint it up.  Sure you'll probably have overspray in the wheel wells and stuff but overall I think it would be an improvement.  Especially if it stops the body from rusting even more.  If the body damage is fairly extensive then maybe I can see why the cost is higher.  

I guess the only way I could see myself springing for that type of paint job is if I decided to keep it for another 100,000 miles.  If so then like Ben said, I'd have it checked out.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 9
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had an older vehicle repainted, and so has a hiking buddy. We both thought retrospectively that it was a waste of money.

I'd just drive it for another 100,000 and not worry about it. Paint is vanity. Spend the $1500 on a whole new packing setup if it's burning a hole in your pocket, or on a trip to someplace you wanna go.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 10
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you plan to keep the truck, this is an excellent way to personalize it.  I would spend the money it takes to remove the rust and correctly prep the body to make the paint job last at least as long as you think you might own the truck.  Sounds like a cool project.  Please post before, during and after pics.
Enjoy.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 30 2013, 10:23 pm)
Paint is vanity.

I won't deny that that's part of it.  But the rust on the top of the cab isn't going to get better and that could lead to some real damage in the future that can't be ignored.  I've never been particularly enamored with fancy vehicles, but I do like them to look nice.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then you might really enjoy having it look "like almost new" again.

My neighbor had a mid 90s Nissan that was looking pretty bad, and he was using it for his painting business. He felt like po' white trash taking it to residential job sites, so he got it painted. It looks good, and he feels better driving it some well-to-do person's house--especially to bid on a job.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the truck holds up for another 70K, then the paint job will be well worth the investment.  I see no reason it shouldn't last that long. You have taken good care of it so far. Paint it something different, not black, silver, or white.  Ford had a nice turquoise back about '57.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14
CheckingOut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 30 2013, 8:23 pm)
Bring your truck to a trusted mechanic -- or friend who knows the stuff -- and get their opinion.  If the major systems are still in fine shape, then I would get it painted.

Definitely agree with Ben. Mileage isn't necessarily indicative of wear. Having a good mechanic check out the vehicle to make sure your not gonna have a not-worth-it problem in a few thousand miles isn't a bad idea.

Assuming the vehicle is in good shape, it comes down to what you want to do. Sounds like you want to keep the vehicle awhile, in which case would you like to look at something slightly rusty or shiny for the rest of your time with it?
 Post Number: 15
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd have the truck inspected inside and out. Look especially at rust. If the truck is mechanically  sound and not rusted out and you like it the amount is not excessive.
Taking care of the exterior is nearly important as the drive train, etc. If it runs great but is falling apart you will soon not have a vehicle. A proper paint job, not just a quick paint over, protects the exterior from rust and corrosion.

I'd do it.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 16
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paint it. You won't get the $1500 back out of it but it will be easier to sell with a good paint job on it than with a faded, rusting paint job.

$1500 sounds reasonable for a professional paint job. I haven't seen $500 paint jobs since they quit making $25 tires. And for what it's worth, my work truck (an'03 Chevy) just turned 300,000 and I know it has been rode hard and put up wet a bunch before I got it. I'm sure your Ranger has quite a few more miles left in it.
 Post Number: 17
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm one of those that has a truck beat to he**, rust and all. I'm a perfectionist about most things, but vehicles are the one glaring exception... I'd never put $1500 in paint on my truck. But I'd spend that on a variety of backcountry related stuff... heck, my Leica binoculars are worth more than my truck, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But only YOU can know what's important for YOU.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 18
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 5:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in 1997 my four year old son came in and proudly held up two river rocks and announced he had washed his firetruck. going outside, I see my red van with paint removed from headlights to tail lights on the drivers side in circles (think wax on, wax off). That was insurance covered but the paint for that one side was $2000 back then.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 19
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends. Does appearance matter to you? I personally don't much care about the outside as long as it's structurally sound. I only care about the inside where I have to "live" while on the road. But $1500 sounds about right.

I had a '93 Ranger I cranked off 250,000 miles in 5 years and it was still going strong when I traded it in so you shouldn't worry too much about longevity.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 20
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yesterday I traded in a car with 240,000 miles on it. I bought it in 2004 when it had 98,000 miles. So yeah, I think it's worth re-painting.
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How often do you or anyone else look a the top of the cab? Perhaps you could do something localized to that area a lot cheaper?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Mar. 31 2013, 1:06 am)
Paint it. You won't get the $1500 back out of it but it will be easier to sell with a good paint job on it than with a faded, rusting paint job.

Resale value on this truck doesn't appear to be the issue. He obviously intends to eventually drive it into the ground--lovingly. They'll throw his body in the bed and take both him and the Ranger to the junkyard when they wear out simultaneously.

Or, it'll be donated to the Smithsonian as a relic of the Petroleum Era.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two conditions:
    If I thought painting would stop the rust . . .
    If I believed the truck was good for another 75,000 miles or more . . .
Then I would probably paint it.

What you drive is like what you wear. I don't go downtown with dirty, torn clothes. So I avoid driving a vehicle with similar appearance. A decent-looking vehicle encourages me to drive decently. If it runs well, it might as well look good.

I sold a very basic 1993 Chevy S-10 last year for $2000. I probably could have gotten more. It had 156,000 miles on it. But that was well above the published Blue Book value. I had never painted the vehicle, except for touch-up. But I had waxed it regularly in the 12 years I had owned it.

The S-10 was well-maintained, ran well, and looked good. Several people expressed an interest in buying it before I even put it up for sale. A friend saw me painting a For Sale sign, inquired what price I was asking, then went to the bank and gave me the cash. Almost a year later, the buyer is still happy with the purchase.

A nice appearance does matter. What it is actually worth is hard to estimate.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm surprised to hear that about your S-10. I acquired a low-mile late 90s S-10 4WD with a business, and was initially glad it was part of the deal. It had good service records.

I turned out to be a total piece of $hit. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It wasn't engine or transmission problems, but constant small annoying failures that would cost a few hundred bucks every time. Broken parking brake, door handles, door latches, hood releases, and on and on. The dealer would not stand behind the product.

I've had six trucks, and every one of them has been great. Except the S-10. My full-size Chevy is great, so I don't understand it.

I traded the S-10 in on a Tacoma 4-door 4WD.

I'm glad you had better luck than me.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 31 2013, 11:28 am)
They'll throw his body in the bed and take both him and the Ranger to the junkyard when they wear out simultaneously.

That, actually, is not a bad scenario. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, have you decided already?  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 31 2013, 1:15 pm)

The real question is: "What color are you going to paint it?" :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:20 am)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 31 2013, 1:15 pm)

The real question is: "What color are you going to paint it?" :laugh:

Why, something like this, of course!   :D

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 29
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:17 am)
. . . a low-mile late 90s S-10 4WD. . .

. . . I turned out to be a total piece of $hit. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It wasn't engine or transmission problems, but constant small annoying failures that would cost a few hundred bucks every time. Broken parking brake, door handles, door latches, hood releases, and on and on. The dealer would not stand behind the product. . . .

I've had little problems like those you list with nearly every vehicle I've owned for very long. None sounds like an expensive fix.

As a matter of fact, on my S-10 the parking brake also broke. But it didn't cost me even a dime to fix. Just a little mechanical ingenuity and a few minutes with my head under the dash, and the problem was resolved. But I did all my own mechanical work.

We've probably all had vehicles we didn't like, and no make or model is immune.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try to find a hail storm and drive through it.  Insurance will pay to have it repaired and painted.  ;)

--------------
WINNING!!!
50 replies since Mar. 30 2013, 8:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply My pickup
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions