2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: First Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In about a month I plan on making my first overnight backpack trip, a 14 mile loop. I am not a stranger to camping, but this is my first venture of this type. I have a good pack, 15 deg Marmot, ground tarp, sleeping pad and mattress, Jet Boil, Platypus bottles, Katydyn filter, first aid kit, small lantern, cup and spork, and a Noah's Tarp. Outside of food and TP, is there anything else I should be carrying? I'd like to make a small camp fire too, if it's permitted there.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd ditch the lantern and carry a headlamp.

Sleeping pad AND mattress?  What is the mattress?

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of temperatures and weather are you expecting?  Any rain gear with you?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Map, GPS w extra batteries, and/or compass?
Leave a trip itinerary with a reliable friend or family member?
Appropriate clothing?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sleeping pad AND mattress?

An inflatable pad (I'm soon to turn 65!). Hoping for temp range of
40 -65 deg. Rain gear? I have an Eddie Bauer rain jacket.  :;):
Ah yes a GPS I have one and compasses and a map too!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 30 2013, 10:06 pm)
I'm soon to turn 65!

A defibrillator?

JUST KIDDING! Good for you!!!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Mar. 30 2013, 10:06 pm)
Rain gear? I have an Eddie Bauer rain jacket.  :;):

I'd take some rain pants as well and at least a fleece or micro-puff jacket.  How about a knife?  A bandana is pretty light and serves a hundred uses.  I always carry one.  Trowel for digging a cathole.  Extra plastic sacks and garbage bags always come in handy for me.

And don't let these young whipper snappers give you a bad time. I'm your age and I'm still going strong.  A pox on them.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:16 pm)
And don't let these young whipper snappers give you a bad time. I'm your age and I'm still going strong.  A pox on them.

Thanks, Jer.

At 54, I don't hear that adjective, "young", very often.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 6:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In about a month I plan on making my first overnight backpack trip, a 14 mile loop.

Where and what kind of terrain? Climate? Hiking on Mt Rainier in a month would be quite different than in the US SE.

I am not a stranger to camping,

OK, but how about dayhiking for some miles with some kind of pack?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 7:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 31 2013, 6:33 am)
In about a month I plan on making my first overnight backpack trip, a 14 mile loop.

Where and what kind of terrain? Climate? Hiking on Mt Rainier in a month would be quite different than in the US SE.

I am not a stranger to camping,

OK, but how about dayhiking for some miles with some kind of pack?

Mt Ranier! Noooo, how about eastern PA! And I have been doing some day hikes with the pack, but not fully loaded ones.

I'll have to look into some rain pants, camo ones I could use.
Thanks!
 Post Number: 11
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second the headlamp and bandanna suggestions.

Trekking poles? Not necessary but since I first tried them I always use them.

Some type of moleskin or other tape to help deal with potential blisters.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 12
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of cup?  Will your food fit in there too or will you need to bring a bowl of some sort?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:33 pm)

(hikerjer @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:16 pm)

Thanks, Jer.

At 54, I don't hear that adjective, "young", very often.

You're ore than welcome.  Hey, at my age you are a whipper snapper and take that as a compliment when you get it.  Your time will come soon enough. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 14
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everybody quit telling the guy to carry more stuff!!!

Jeeez, we all know the biggest newby mistake is carrying 15# of crap they'll never use. Rain pants for an overnight? Seriously? At this rate he'll be carrying a 45# pack when it shouldn't be over 25# for one night. Backpacking is a lot more fun with a light pack and you really need very little for one night out. After a couple of trips you'll get serious about cutting weight or drop it all together.

Have a nice adventure & a great time, mjeck. The "right" gear is different for everybody and can only be determined by experience. Don't know why you're waiting a month to start - what's wrong with tonight or next weekend?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:37 am)
Jeeez, we all know the biggest newby mistake is carrying 15# of crap they'll never use. Rain pants for an overnight? Seriously? . . . you really need very little for one night out.

The "right" gear is different for everybody and can only be determined by experience.

There are different philosophies. I'm in the camp that finds the only major difference between a weekend and ten days is the amount of food and stove fuel.

But it depends on where and when you're going. In the soggy, cold eastern woodlands where weather is unpredictable, yeah, he probably needs to carry crap like rain pants a lot of the time. In the Sierras in the summer, I probably won't even carry pants.

Don't worry--I'll be wearing shorts, not a kilt.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's an overnighter...you could probably do it nekkid...and without food and water.
Just visualize what you will be doing once you stop and make camp for the night. As you run through your visualization you will see what you do and don't need.
Most important thing to bring is the thought of having a great time...You will soon forget about not having.......but you will remember the moment forever.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KaiWinters @ Mar. 31 2013, 11:43 am)
It's an overnighter...you could probably do it nekkid...

Again, it depends heavily upon where, when, and the expected weather.

A friend of mine is an ER physician in eastern Kentucky. A news station interviews him on hypothermia each Fall, as the colors begin to change.

His standard line: "First, you get cold, then you get stupid, then you die. But sometimes, you're stupid first."

In Colin Fletcher's first edition of The Complete Walker, he put it something like this:
If you can barely survive the worst possible weather you can expect while you're wearing every stitch of clothing and gear you've brought along, you packed correctly.

We've had plenty of epics on the first night of a trip, and used everything we brought along, and wished we hadn't left something at home to save less than a pound.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So excited for you mjeck! Too bad you have to wait a month!

For 14 miles I probably wouldn't be carrying the filter. I'd just carry enough water and have a purifying tab or two in my emergency kit.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:37 am)
Rain pants for an overnight? Seriously?

Yes, seriously.  I always carry them even on day hikes and have never regretted it.  Been a number of time I was dang glad to have them.  Sure, I probably would have survived without them, but it would not have been pleasant or enjoyable. Sure, you've got to find a balance on what you take, but I don't think anyone has gone overboard on their suggestions.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Mar. 31 2013, 12:36 pm)
For 14 miles I probably wouldn't be carrying the filter. I'd just carry enough water . . .

Depending on the filter, it's probably lighter than two days worth of water. If it isn't, he needs a different purification device/method.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Mar. 30 2013, 9:49 pm)
I'd ditch the lantern and carry a headlamp.

This for sure.  A headlamp is lighter, more useful and less problematic.

As to Jer's suggestion on rain pants . . . it's a matter of personal preference.  I've carried rain pants on colder weather trips as a safety precaution but I've never really worn them.  

I'll add duct tape to your list and no one will argue with that--can be used for fixing tears in gear, clothing or skin and a zillion other things too.

Keep track of the things you don't use and think about leaving them behind next time.

Have fun!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 22
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KaiWinters @ Mar. 31 2013, 8:43 am)

And here's a visual for the 52-65 age group:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 23
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dislike rain pants, myself. I rely on just wearing quick-drying pants and having a dry pair for camp.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 24
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you've been camping for a while, you're probably already familiar with lists

Write down everything you plan on bringing. Check it off as you put it in your pack.  A forgotten item can be inconvenience when car camping, but redundancy is usually reduced backpacking.

I forgot my sleeping bag once...
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Mar. 31 2013, 6:59 pm)
Since you've been camping for a while, you're probably already familiar with lists

Write down everything you plan on bringing. Check it off as you put it in your pack.  A forgotten item can be inconvenience when car camping, but redundancy is usually reduced backpacking.

I forgot my sleeping bag once...

Building on what Lamebeaver wrote...

Another suggestion is to always start with a master list of all the gear pieces you own -- with weights and all -- a spreadsheet is ideal.  Make a working copy of that worksheet.

With a complete list, simply delete all the rows of stuff you know you won't take with you -- print after finalizing down to the items and weights that you are happy with -- and use that as your packing list.  As Lamebeaver wrote, check off each item as you pack.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 31 2013, 7:25 pm)

(KaiWinters @ Mar. 31 2013, 8:43 am)

And here's a visual for the 52-65 age group:

OMG! I did not need to see that!

May he quickly find both fire ants and stinging nettles.

And poison ivy.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:27 pm)
always start with a master list of all the gear pieces you own -- with weights and all -- a spreadsheet is ideal.  Make a working copy of that worksheet.

With a complete list, simply delete all the rows of stuff you know you won't take with you -- print after finalizing down to the items and weights that you are happy with -- and use that as your packing list.  As Lamebeaver wrote, check off each item as you pack.

OK, here we go again. This is way too OCD for me--maybe not for others, though.

Next thing you know, the forum will be advising the n00b to throw in his laptop--and solar charger--so he can digitally access his spreadsheet on the trail, and update comments on the functionality and performance of each item, and develop a usefulness-per-gram-packed-weight rating scale.

I have never made a master list or used a spreadsheet for packing my pack. I just put my crap in my pack and go. This is getting way too complicated for the simple proposition of going for a walk in the woods.

I'll plan food if I'm not going solo, but that's as far as it goes.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 31 2013, 11:10 pm)

(Ben2World @ Mar. 31 2013, 10:27 pm)
always start with a master list of all the gear pieces you own -- with weights and all -- a spreadsheet is ideal.  Make a working copy of that worksheet.

OK, here we go again. This is way too OCD for me--maybe not for others, though.

Next thing you know, the forum will be advising the n00b to throw in his laptop--and solar charger--so he can digitally access his spreadsheet on the trail, and update comments on the functionality and performance of each item, and develop a usefulness-per-gram-packed-weight rating scale.

I have never made a master list or used a spreadsheet for packing my pack. I just put my crap in my pack and go. This is getting way too complicated for the simple proposition of going for a walk in the woods.

I'll plan food if I'm not going solo, but that's as far as it goes.

LMFAO. Have to agree. I don't even own a printer, never mind a scale.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Mar. 31 2013, 11:16 pm)
LMFAO. Have to agree. I don't even own a printer, never mind a scale.

:D  :D  :D
No scale here, either.

But I'm glad you admitted it first.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haha... this one is going to kill you guys...

Not day hikes, obviously, but on all other hikes, I copy an additional page (as described above).  Now, my Excel spreadsheet has a separate page for every single trip... what I took with me... going back to 2004 -- my 'virgin' trip to Wind Rivers.  :D

But really, after all these years... it only takes me a few quick minutes to copy a sheet and delete out all the rows of stuff I won't take with me.  Print.  And pack.  I have never left anything at home inadvertently.  So it works for me.

--------------
54 replies since Mar. 30 2013, 9:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply First Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions