2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ordering glasses from Zenni< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 8:08 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have searched (we all know how iffy that can be) and cannot find the thread.   But, I remember a discussion here, in the last year or two, about ordering prescription glasses online.  Specifically Zenni was mentioned because that is the one I added to my favorites.

Any comments -- good or bad -- about glasses that were purchased from them.   I have insurance now, but even with it the new pair I wanted from Lenscrafters was over $500.  There must be a way to beat that price!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don’t know anything about Zenni, but this might be the thread you were looking for:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....263&st=

Here was another discussion on Backpackinglight:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=56440

Sounds interesting.  I spent $400 on my last set of glasses and hate them…but I’m committed after spending that much money.

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remembered just seeing an ad for coastal.com saying they were so confident you'd order again that your first pair of glasses were free. So I googled "first pair glasses free" and several things show up. Maybe?

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been ordering my glasses from Zenni for the last five years and have been very pleased.  The only problem, more an inconvenience, that I have had was when I ordered the memory titanium and had to have some minor adjustments to the frame. I found that I needed to go to Walmart to get them adjusted.

I have been able to adjust the regular titanium frames myself.
 Post Number: 5
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've ordered many pair from Zenni. They've been very good to do business with.
 Post Number: 6
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife is an optician of 32 years. This is the problem she sees all the time with Zenni.
While for single vision it would work fine, for those who need say, a bifocal, there is no way to measure the frame, where it sits on your face and then measuring up to the pupil to get them to work correctly. Also, people come in all the time for better nose pads and adjustments because they are crooked, need extensions on the ear pieces and have to be bent to sit right.

So, it depends on your specific needs, but you can save a lot of money for single vision.
 Post Number: 7
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lorax @ Apr. 01 2013, 12:21 pm)
Also, people come in all the time for better nose pads and adjustments because they are crooked, need extensions on the ear pieces and have to be bent to sit right.

All of which has also been true for glasses I've ordered and picked up locally. I've rarely found them 100% correct the first "fitting."

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 8
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Apr. 01 2013, 8:08 am)
Any comments -- good or bad -- about glasses that were purchased from them.   I have insurance now, but even with it the new pair I wanted from Lenscrafters was over $500.  There must be a way to beat that price!

I just ordered a pair of oakleys from lens crafters and even though my insurance made it very affordable, when I looked at the itemized receipt I found they were over charging and double charging! Luckily they were so un-knowledgable in what they were doing that they ordered a pair that my prescription wouldn't even fit, so I got out of the sale.

I am having bad luck all around getting the pair I want, to the point I am thinking of going back to contacts so I can just order the ones I want non Rx. I've never worn contacts out on the trails and I wouldn't want the fuss of having to put em in and take em out. Anyone ever use those ones you can just leave in for days on the trail? They didn't have those when I used to wear contacts and for whatever reason I'm nervous about em but would much rather have ones I could leave in.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 9
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I'll try them this time -- if they do transition lenses.  I like my sunglasses built in.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 10
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A coworker of mine orders from Zinni often and recommended them to me.  She also recommended
http://firmoo.com/

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got 2 pairs of single vision plus a clip-on polarized lens for $25 total a few years ago from Zenni. The clip-ons scratch pretty easy but were only $3.95 I think. I ordered 2 more. The normal glasses are still fine - just a few scratches. I'm going to try bifocals next.
10 replies since Apr. 01 2013, 8:08 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ordering glasses from Zenni
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions