2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hikers need help in 3 inches of snow!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked in this area.  Three inches of snow is not uncommon during certain times of the year.  I doubt these were experienced hikers.

http://www.wsmv.com/story....ns-dome
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

similar thing here this spring break, from the county sheriff's facebook post

Curry County Sheriff's Office
2 hours ago
On 03/27/2013 at about 7:39 am the Curry County Sheriff’s Office received a report of an injured hiker on the Rogue River Trail in the Mariel area. The call came from Josephine County Search & Rescue (SAR), who’d had reported to them that a woman with a leg injury, accompanied by a man, had ceased their Rogue River Trail hike at a campsite at Tucker Flat (about a quarter mile east of the Rogue River Ranch and tiny community of Mariel), and were awaiting transport from the remaining members of their hiking party, who’d gone on without them to Foster Bar near Agness, and were to drive back to Rogue River Ranch and pick them up. The three members of the hiking party who’d continued on had attempted to drive to Mariel but the access roads were impassable due to snow conditions. The three had then reported their stranded companions to Josephine County Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday.

Curry County SAR members responded early Wednesday morning by vehicle to Foster Bar, and then by boat to Mariel, where SAR team members contacted the two hikers. The two, Emily Nash, age 30, and Christopher Kienle, age 28, of Klamath Falls, had been camped at Tucker Flat for two days awaiting their friends and didn’t know the roads were blocked by snow. The two, accompanied by their dog, were short of food and their gear was wet, but they were physically okay, and were able to hike with SAR ground team members the 3 miles back to Paradise Lodge where a boat large enough to carry hikers and rescuers was waiting to transport all back to Foster Bar by late Wednesday afternoon.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and then I go to Yahoo and this is the lead story of a hiker stranded 6 days on Mt. Hood

It is a misleading season

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs....es.html

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How are you not "prepared" for 3 inches of snow?

No boots, simply sandals or some nylon canvas running shoe?

No map, compass or gps so once the trail is obscured you're lost (and it's stunning how little snow t takes to obscure a trail some times)?

Well, a good end to the story anyway.
 Post Number: 5
gimp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ataylor @ Apr. 01 2013, 12:53 pm)
I've hiked in this area.  Three inches of snow is not uncommon during certain times of the year.  I doubt these were experienced hikers.

http://www.wsmv.com/story....ns-dome

From the article: "None of the 10 hikers wanted to go to a hospital."

Not even the guy who made the emergency call for chest pains?  Hmmm.

I can only guess that the hikers were wearing shoes and clothes that were more appropriate for a hike down around Gatlinburg than up on the AT.  Three inches of snow could also have made the trail pretty slippery and difficult to see.  They're probably lucky that they didn't have an encounter with hypothermia.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, of course, hikers. So groups of dayhikers that got surprised. That happens.
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 01 2013, 11:39 am)
Ah, of course, hikers. So groups of dayhikers that got surprised. That happens.

It does.  And there's not a lot of details in the story, other than they felt stranded and--when rangers passed by while investigating a different call--they said they wanted help getting out.  It doesn't appear they actually called for help themselves.

Anyhoo, there's not a lot of details in the story, but I'm gonna just chalk this up as a few dayhikers who weren't ready for a storm, but ended up getting out just fine in the end without all that much extra help.  C'est la vie.

I hope the person suffering from chest pains up at the shelter fared okay.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Things change quickly there. I skied into the Mt Collins shelter for an overnight on two feet of firm snow. There was a guy there in wet cotton clothing and inadequate boots whose food had been ruined by a leaky fuel bottle. I had plenty of food, fuel, liquor, and dry wool socks. That night a thunderstorm hit and dropped six inches of rain, effectively washing away most of the snow. Good for him, making the walk out easier, but kind of a bummer for me since I had to carry my skis. Anything can happen, might as well be ready for it.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like many other stories around here . . . I don't think we are getting the whole story. Snow has been on the the ground there for months now. They got around 18" up there last week and the road was closed until Saturday. So saying there was only 3" is a little misleading. There might have been 3" of NEW snow Sunday but I would be willing to bet there's at least 2' on the ground at that shelter. They have 4WD and wouldn't have needed to plow the road for only 3".

Also, based solely on the news around here, it appears the "rescued" hikers were on the trail and probably wouldn't have requested assistance had the ranger not met them on the way to the shelter.  I don't know if they were truly in danger or if the ranger was just being cautious.  I would have probably erred on the side of caution too. We have had crappy weather here lately and if the hikers were not prepared it could have easily gotten into a hypothermic situation. The temps would have been upper 30's to low 40's up there and it would have been clouded in.
 Post Number: 10
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 inches of snow on the AT?  I cannot imagine a normally prepared over night hiker couldn't have just walked through that.

Must have been not that experienced and a day hiker like others have said, but even so, 3"...

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

News people are paid to get stories.

No rescue, no story.  Sometimes they tend to, shall we say "embellish" a bit?

Take it with a grain of salt.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 02 2013, 3:04 pm)
News people are paid to get stories.

No rescue, no story.  Sometimes they tend to, shall we say "embellish" a bit?

Take it with a grain of salt.

+1.  The story said the ranger came across two groups that "needed help getting off the mountain", and leaves it your imagination to embellish the rest.  For all we know the ranger pointed them in the direction to go and radio'ed to another ranger to check on them when they got back to the trailhead.  But all said, we don't really know.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the rest of the story:

http://www.themountainpress.com/news....-rescue
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There ya' have it.  Not much at all.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
13 replies since Apr. 01 2013, 12:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hikers need help in 3 inches of snow!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions