2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: April backpacking, ...in warm weather?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
apachemd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 7:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddy and I are novice backpackers, just bought all our gear, and we're itching to go on a 2-3 day "warm-up" trip somewhere in the SoCal/AZ/NV/UT area in April.  Trouble is, everywhere that seems really good around here -- e.g. Mt. Whitney, Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia -- are all still quite cold.

There's gotta be somewhere good that's nearby and relatively warm that we haven't thought of... ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Utah
 Post Number: 3
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 02 2013, 8:45 pm)
Utah

That narrows it down!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zion.
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you define "cold" ??

I've made many trips to Yosemite in March and was always sweating to death/ nearly dying of heat-stroke !!

April is prime time for the Colorado Plateau.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early April - Grand Canyon.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Superstitions. Death Valley is far from cold right now.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 02 2013, 11:53 pm)
April is prime time for the Colorado Plateau.

Definitely!
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the mesas in the desert Southwest are already sizzling!!! So maybe Southern UT, northern AZ, though river melt off from the snowmelt of mountains may be too cold.  The canyons of southern NM are pretty nice right now too.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need to disconnect from the notion of visiting summer high mountain destinations at this very early time of year.   There are excellent places to backpack into desert areas during March and April though you may need to carry all your water.   Short overnight trips one or two night trip from roads make more sense.   Much of the Southwest is in a two year drought, however a few areas including Superstition Wilderness east of Phoenix and mountains east of Tuscon received above normal rains so are currently quite green with abundant wildflowers.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 11
apachemd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great input everyone, thanks.  Dave you are right, I tend to gravitate toward national parks and high peaks, and I forget/neglect other lesser known options such as the ones you mentioned near Phoenix and Tuscon, will certainly look into those.

That said, based on y'all's suggestions I did some snooping around for UT options, and the West Rim Trail seems like a perfect warm-up trip...

Thanks a lot!
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take the time to go out to Angel's Landing if you're group doesn't mind heights.

Also pay attention to your water needs and question the rangers on that, the route has water but it's spotty.
 Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of places in So Cal to go - Chantry Flat area?  Mission Creek/Whitewater?  San Rafael Wilderness?  The weather's great and the wildflowers are in bloom!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zion or Canyonlands in Utah.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(apachemd @ Apr. 03 2013, 11:12 am)
That said, based on y'all's suggestions I did some snooping around for UT options, and the West Rim Trail seems like a perfect warm-up trip...

You''ll love the West Rim trail. It's mostly easy hiking, so it's short for an overnighter. Great scenery. Getting an early start on day 2 will give you a chance to beat any crowds to Angel's Landing. There might be a few early risers coming and going, but it's your best bet for having the Landing to yourself, which is a fine experience.
La Verkin Creek is a great overnighter, too, especially if you get one of the last campsites, and check out Beartrap Canyon.
14 replies since Apr. 02 2013, 7:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply April backpacking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions