2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: No more tree?, Boooooooooooo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our morale is so low as it is, I couldn't imagine it getting any lower before I heard this news.  But I'm pretty sure this'll do it in...

"As official badges go, the Forest Service's is pretty plain -- but very much to the point. At its center, a lone pine tree splits the letters U and S, letters that serve doubly to denote the U.S. Forest Service and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, organizations whose names are emblazoned across the top and bottom of the shield. It is a deft, clean, legible, and historic symbol, having been the agency's central logo since its establishment in 1905.

For many current and past employees, it is also a badge of honor, a reflection of their deep and abiding attachment to their one-time or present-day roles as stewards of America's national forests. So you'll understand if they get a little testy when someone proposes to mess with this sign of their lifelong devotion to the public good."

http://www.kcet.org/news....go.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds like Monsanto is taking possession.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bye bye, badge.  Hello,  logo.  Sigh... And just how much will it cost to replace everything?  ???

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's very sad news.  I have an irrationally deep sentimental attachment to that tree.  To me it symbolizes what is good in this world.
 Post Number: 5
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being a Marine I know the loyalty, esprit de corps and sense of belonging that can be wrapped up in a simple emblem.  The shield with the tree and the letters U S are as easily recognizable a symbol as is the eagle, globe and anchor of the Marine Corps.  I think removing that identifying emblem from the Forest Service uniform is a huge mistake.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 6
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considering the hublub when they decided to not make our trucks green anymore, well, I think this is going to cause an even bigger uproar...  They justified removing the green as cost saving, but this will add cost - something no one needs right now, regardless of your attachment to the tree or not.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait...whut? You guys will have now have that white/green/blue label?
This. Is. Not. Good.
You used to get mixed up with Park Rangers. Now you'll be mixed up with food inspectors. I'm so, so sorry. :(
 Post Number: 8
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

??? WTF? Really?

It's not still April 1 is it???
 Post Number: 9
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snippet from:

http://www.kcet.org/news....go.html

Not laughing is the upper echelon of the USDA hierarchy; after more than two years of planning, they're taking this aggressive rebranding quite seriously. Asserting that hitherto the "USDA symbol is the official and sole identity mark for the Department and all agency programs," Secretary Tom Vilsack and his staff have rolled out the dead-handed language of federal bureaucratese to justify their actions: "The USDA symbol will give consistent identity to the Department, increase public recognition of the value and wide range of USDA's products and services, and bring economy of scale to the production of visual information materials."

Me wonders what kind of person such ideas come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Vilsack

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article....ography

USDA chief Pennsylvania raised, after college married Iowa gal and moved to her home town in 1975 working as a trial lawyer then in 1987 began a political career eventually becomes their  governor.  So a life of all business, lawyers, and politics though likely a successful moral ethical person in any case.   Outside of dealing with farm issues politically, likely little personal connection or interest to our country's parks and forests or natural outdoor pursuits or their history especially since such are not Iowa kind of places.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When will the HQ approved briefcases be shipped out to replace the backpacks?
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just another flipping corporate logo.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tom Vilsack must think Aloysius_O'hare was the hero in the Lorax:

Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Apr. 03 2013, 4:13 pm)
??? WTF? Really?

It's not still April 1 is it???

Exactly.

Will also add a hearty "amen" to Eccocentric's sentiment...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This does kind of suck. I still haven't gotten over the change in truck color, but that one was to save money, this one is going to cost a lot of money.

I just love this part from the article:
If you worked for the largest agency within USDA -- the Forest Service -- you might well be puzzled that nothing is growing in this stylized field of green and blue. You might also crack up at the cutting remark of one agency retiree, who lambasted the USDA symbol as "the ultimate example of permanent deforestation."

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 15
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do volunteer work wearing a shirt with the tree shield. Do you think I'd get excited to chat up forest users as a representative of the USDA?

Nothing is really changing but the packaging, but the public image to the forest users is a big deal, I think. How would you feel if camped in the wilderness and approached by a representative of the USDA in a white shirt? Do you want the USDA maintaining trails? Would you call them in a emergency?
 Post Number: 16
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like most other people my first reaction to change is usually negative, but after further consideration I feel that this new logo is indeed horrible.  It's bland- a rectangle, really.  What little imagination it shows conjures images of mono-culture and the overall corporate character is depressing.

They need a new slogan, of course.  Any suggestions?  These aren't very good, but I'll start.  

"USDA, paving the way"
"USDA, the future is as clear as our forest"
"USDA, striving for mediocrity"
 Post Number: 17
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:O The new logo looks like a clearcut or a crop  :(

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 18
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I received some good news, after posting this on Facebook on the FS Employees page - FS Retirees may have saved the shield :)  Text of an email from Jim Golden (president of NAFSR) to NAFSR:

"Just spoke to the Chief, he told me that the memo to exempt the FS from the policy will be forthcoming. I asked him to send it to me when he receives it so we can formally put this issue to rest. He understands why we want to see it in writing. He will also be sending out a note internally to ease the concerns of employees...We will also need to thank our members and all the others who made contacts on behalf of an important FS symbol!"

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's almost as if our country is being run by lawyers, corporate cronies and lifetime bureaucrats instead of our elected peers who're supposed to represent us.

That was just dumb.

Glad somebody interjected some saneness into the process.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 20
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:01 am)
Like most other people my first reaction to change is usually negative, but after further consideration I feel that this new logo is indeed horrible.  It's bland- a rectangle, really.  What little imagination it shows conjures images of mono-culture and the overall corporate character is depressing.

They need a new slogan, of course.  Any suggestions?  These aren't very good, but I'll start.  

"USDA, paving the way"
"USDA, the future is as clear as our forest"
"USDA, striving for mediocrity"

lol - I've heard "USDA - US Department of Aggravation"

--------------
 Post Number: 21
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Apr. 04 2013, 8:42 am)
Well, I received some good news, after posting this on Facebook on the FS Employees page - FS Retirees may have saved the shield :)  Text of an email from Jim Golden (president of NAFSR) to NAFSR:

"Just spoke to the Chief, he told me that the memo to exempt the FS from the policy will be forthcoming. I asked him to send it to me when he receives it so we can formally put this issue to rest. He understands why we want to see it in writing. He will also be sending out a note internally to ease the concerns of employees...We will also need to thank our members and all the others who made contacts on behalf of an important FS symbol!"

Yay!  Let us know what comes of it.  I'm sure you'll be among the first of anyone here to hear about a final decision on that.  I'm interested in knowing.

Honestly, I couldn't give a rat's patootie what logo the rest of the USDA wants to use.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is good news...maybe, we will see

Hey, if they wind up changing everything anyway, can I have your old badge ?  I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ron. @ Apr. 04 2013, 10:43 am)
It's almost as if our country is being run by lawyers, corporate cronies and lifetime bureaucrats instead of our elected peers who're supposed to represent us.

Uh huh, there is a lot of that going on.

Someone used the word "monoculture," which is the antithesis of the Ecocentric.  :angry:

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps something more fitting the new priorities in the USFS.

How about a steer standing next to an oil derrick?

I told you this would happen if we elected a Republican president!  Oh wait.....
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Land of many uses": Waterskiing on the lake created from flooding the strip mine dug out after the land had been clearcut.

Used after used after used.....
 Post Number: 26
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Repeal the Organic Act.
BLM, NPS, and FS back into one flesh again under the Department of the Interior. Get your cows and soybeans out of the public lands...but you can keep the killers from the Animal & Palnt Inspection Service.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 27
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would really hate to see the old logo go, as much as I hated  to see our iconic ancient city logo of a flock of geese in front of Horsetooth Mt., easily identifiable and "branded" to Ft. Collins, updated to this a couple of years ago after a cost of $xxx,xxx.xx just to the ad agency alone. Let alone repainting every city car/truck, installing new signs, reprinting every brochure,map, etc. etc..

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 28
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This trend toward new logos bugs me.  What's wrong with a venerable institution having an old-fashioned logo?  UC Berkeley tried to change it. . . .and got so roasted that they went back to the old one.  Especially stupid for a university to ditch the look of having a history, of course.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got an email from some folks high up in the agency...

"Everything is fine regarding the use of the FS insignia/shield.  USDA provided the Forest Service with an exception/waiver to the policy yesterday (4/2), which allows the Forest Service to keep using it, as it should be.

Business as usual for us regarding its use."

Yay!  Don't mess with our tree!

--------------
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)  Thanks for the news, tarol.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
37 replies since Apr. 03 2013, 4:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply No more tree?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions