2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Things that fascinate biologists -Yuk!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 7:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Things that fascinate biologist - the rest of us will just pass on - I'm not disappointed that I missed this on the
bear cam:

(From the daily research notes - listed on the right side of the page)

Jewel Does The Unmentionable – UPDATE April 1, 2013

Another first! We’ve talked about fecal plugs before, but we had no idea they were ever eaten. Today, Fern and Jewel made incontrovertible scientific history. It was all within view. Jewel’s yearling daughter Fern backed to the entrance of the den, visibly strained, and passed feces that had collected in her bowel over winter. It wasn’t easy. Defecating usually takes a minute or so. The big, hard fecal plug took Fern nearly 4 ½ minutes to pass.

Jewel’s unexpected reaction to this fresh fecal plug in her den surprised us all as she got up and went over to it about 3 ½ minutes later and spent about 45 minutes carefully eating it. Biologists are fascinated by stuff like this.

We’ll be watching over and over exactly how she ate it. Did she carefully nibble the outside off first like we think she did? Why would the outside be preferred and eaten first?

It doesn’t take much to entertain biologists who have mostly been inside this snowy winter. If you’re as fascinated by this event as we are, a very graphic video is posted at http://youtu.be/93Yl-.... Viewer discretion is advised.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know a couple of labradore retrievers that could apparently keep these guys fascinated for hours.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 03 2013, 8:17 pm)
I know a couple of labradore retrievers that could apparently keep these guys fascinated for hours.

A vet gave me a spay to keep a dog from eating its feces.  He said the spay made the feces taste awful.  How much worse could it be?
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 03 2013, 5:26 pm)

(JimInMD @ Apr. 03 2013, 8:17 pm)

A vet gave me a spray to keep a dog from eating its feces.  He said the spay made the feces taste awful.  How much worse could it be?

Not to mention who did the comparison / validation?   :O

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 03 2013, 8:26 pm)
A vet gave me a spay...

Seriously? There has to be a good story behind this...
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Apr. 03 2013, 9:06 pm)

(nogods @ Apr. 03 2013, 8:26 pm)
A vet gave me a spay...

Seriously? There has to be a good story behind this...

It took forever to find his ovaries.
 Post Number: 7
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bears and dogs have much better sense of taste/smell than we do. Maybe, just maybe we're missing out on something really good. My old lab used to gobble up every horse road apple he'd come across.

New hiking grazing opportunity for us? Who wants to try and write up a trip report?
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well you lost THIS biologist at "fecal plug"!
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've never had a dog or cat that had a litter have you?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dog used to eat horse poop until I trained her not to. But.... I was once cleaning scrap around a horse barn after a storm while wearing gloves and with one hand loaded, I needed to remove a glove. So being stupid and not thinking, I pulled it off with my teeth. I's nothing I'll ever repeat and while it didn't taste very good, it wasn't as bad as you'd imagine.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tastes like chicken!

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what I get for reading the forum on a lunch break.  :p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
10 replies since Apr. 03 2013, 7:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Things that fascinate biologists -Yuk!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions