2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Want to live longer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:08 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then watch this current BBC show making the rounds on PBS:

Eat, Fast and Live Longer With Michael Mosley

http://www.pbs.org/program/michael-mosley/

And there is an associated Fast Diet book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fas....6734941

It shows science research is increasing showing there is a significant advantages to living longer with much less chance of cancer, heart desease, and other maladies, by eating less especially if that includes some levels of regular fasting.  

Most importantly the IGF-1 hormone (insulin-like growth factor) produced in the liver on usual American diets constantly puts the body in a new cell growth mode which is unhealthy.  Conversely eating less quantity, less often, with much less protein switches the body into a cell repair mode which can repair cell damage that causes many senior diseases that eventually lead to shorter lifespans.

Something I've been doing doing more often than not for years. As a kid was rather unusual because while almost all other kids had meat sandwiches in their lunch boxes, mine always had PBJ's some fruit, and a cookie. Most days for last couple decades just have a half cup of low fat milk plus a cinnanom Pop Tart for breakfast if anything, little lunch that these days is often just a 6 oz yogurt plus one whatever fruit, and one main meal each day.  And that main meal is usually does not include meat except maybe twice a week and then is something light like a bit of fish or chicken. Lots of vegetables and grains.  And drink a lot of lowfat milk.  

Maybe once a month usually on the road a burger and fries unless I've been involved in unusual strenuous activity like backpacking.  As a negative I do have a high sugar intake as I pour sugar into milk and use a lot of salt on vegetables although never have had high blood pressure issues.  

Although some may think that eating less, eating less meat, will leave one hungry, such is only the case in the beginning while one's body cycles still expect a high food intake.  Within a week of going on a one meal a day diet low meat diet, one no longer craves meat or eating say three meals a day.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The research into calorie restriction in humans is relatively new but I'm not sure of just the  goal of extending life in old age by (I guess) lessening the impact on the digestive system.  Other organ systems get old and run down  by the time the elderly get into their late 70's.  I'd rather see a concentration in extending physical abilities in later middle age ->old age, and delaying the markers for "biological age".

Think I'd rather concentrate on the "here and now", i.e. if one is building a bookcase near the commode because they spend more time on it, it just might be time to consider more vegetables (not encased in cheese).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Apr. 04 2013, 12:08 am)
Something I've been doing doing more often than not for years. As a kid was rather unusual because while almost all other kids had meat sandwiches in their lunch boxes, mine always had PBJ's some fruit, and a cookie. Most days for last couple decades just have a half cup of low fat milk plus a cinnanom Pop Tart for breakfast if anything, little lunch that these days is often just a 6 oz yogurt plus one whatever fruit, and one main meal each day.  And that main meal is usually does not include meat except maybe twice a week and then is something light like a bit of fish or chicken. Lots of vegetables and grains.  And drink a lot of lowfat milk.  

Maybe once a month usually on the road a burger and fries unless I've been involved in unusual strenuous activity like backpacking.  As a negative I do have a high sugar intake as I pour sugar into milk and use a lot of salt on vegetables although never have had high blood pressure issues.  

Although some may think that eating less, eating less meat, will leave one hungry, such is only the case in the beginning while one's body cycles still expect a high food intake.  Within a week of going on a one meal a day diet low meat diet, one no longer craves meat or eating say three meals a day.

In the "good old days" that peanut butter was probably loaded with trans-fat to increase the shelf life, but it still might be be better then the nitrate-preserved lunch meat the other kids were eating.  For the kid who brought leftover meat loaf, I'm not sure which would be more healthy.

Haven't eaten a pop tart in years, but last time I checked, they also contained trans fat, as well as high fructose corn syrup.

Bacon and eggs (with natural, nitrate free bacon) might be healther....and even if it isn't, it certainly tastes better.

A life without bacon wouldn't be worth living.
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Apr. 04 2013, 12:08 am)
It shows science research is increasing showing there is a significant advantages to living longer with much less chance of cancer, heart desease, and other maladies, by eating less especially if that includes some levels of regular fasting.

Interesting finding, and not terribly surprising.

It's only in our recent evolutionary history that "three square meals a day" was anything like a norm.  Humans used to go long periods being relatively hungry, followed by periods of growth and feasting during, say, a successful hunt.  It doesn't surprise me at all that it turns out we evolved well to handle a feast-and-famine diet pattern.

I haven't yet gone on anything like an extended fast.  Being a Type-1 (childhood-onset) diabetic makes that challenging.  But I might be up to the task at some point.  It's an experiment I'd like to try.

(Not right now though.  In two weeks I'll be flying to Greenland and spending 5 weeks camped and working on the ice sheet, I'll need my calories, lol.  But maybe after I get home.)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GoBlue touched on what's my concern.

Cycling/mountainbike season is upon me and my caloric needs are going to go way up. When cycling regularly if I don't eat better and/or enough I start feeling weaker on the bike instead of getting faster.

I should have been following the OP's diet this winter instead of sitting on my butt eating bread, cheese, pasta and drinking wine.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 6
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Living longer sounds over-rated. I'm not going to worry about eking out a couple extra months in a nursing home.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another snippet explaining recent research effects on fasting hGH/IGF-1 levels from:

http://babyboomernews.net/anti-ag....mone-no

A 2007 Intermountain Healthcare study revealed the association between fasting and reduced risk of coronary heart disease. But this new research shows fasting also reduced triglycerides, weight, and blood sugar levels.
Dr. Benjamin D. Horne, PhD, MPH, director of cardiovascular and genetic epidemiology at Intermountain said, “These new findings demonstrate that our original discovery was not a chance event.”

“Fasting causes hunger or stress. In response, the body releases more cholesterol, allowing it to utilize fat as a source of fuel, instead of glucose. This decreases the number of fat cells in the body,” said Dr. Horne, adding, “This is important because the fewer fat cells a body has, the less likely it will experience insulin resistance, or diabetes.”

The recent study also confirms earlier findings that human growth hormone (hGH) blood levels during the 24-hour fasting periods increased an average of 1,300 percent in women, and nearly 2,000 percent in men.Human Growth Hormone is a long chain amino acid produced and secreted by the anterior pituitary gland. hGH acts on many different tissues to promote growth and healthy metabolism.

At it’s highest levels during youth and growth, natural levels of hGH decline progressively after maturity. The decline is associated with the many body changes that occur with aging in both genders.

Raising hGH levels to those associated with youth is believed to slow down or delay the age-related decline frequently seen in many organs, and also the body composition changes such as weight gain, fat accumulation, muscle and bone loss, etc.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 8
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 04 2013, 12:01 pm)
(Not right now though.  In two weeks I'll be flying to Greenland and spending 5 weeks camped and working on the ice sheet, I'll need my calories, lol.  But maybe after I get home.)

I watched his documentary on PBS last night with my gal.

We were both very intrigued.  At one point, during one of his fasting days, he took a "hike" with his family.  First thing I did was look over to her, and say "I'd be willing to try this with you, but you'll never catch me fasting during any period of hiking, be it short or long!"

A couple things I found interesting.  The guy admitted he wasn't very active, so he really didn't have any concerns related to that.  I would be concerned about trying to combine any level of exercise with fasting, where nutrition replacement is so important.  Still, I felt intrigued, and figured on the 5/2 plan you could just coordinate 2 rest days on the two fast days.

However, I did some follow up on The Google this morning, and while the PBS show was presented quite as a documentary studying the effects of fasting.  Mr. Myers wrote an accompanying book, prescribing this method and representative recipes for your fast day.  Also, many reports mentioning a real lack of solid evidence, and the fact that this is now the #1 fad diet in the UK.  So that  and his potential profit motive left me a bit more skeptical.

Overall though, I'm still intrigued a bit, and given all the digestive maladies I have, that have not been treated through conventional medicine...I'd be willing to give this a short trial.  I'm just a bit skeptical of it's power to become a normal part of one's diet.  To me it's application at least, seems to be for targeted weight-loss versus life diet change.

Count me as one who still believes in eating healthy, in moderate amounts (every day), and plenty of exercise.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moi -- quality over quantity definitely.

I am also for eating healthy, eating moderately, and exercising.  I think for atheists where this is our one shot at living -- then any technology that can increase BOTH quality and quantity (years) ought to be a good thing.

And for Christians and believers of other religions... hey, I won't argue against a couple extra good years -- but maybe not so critical to us.  My own beliefs tell me that it's a 'win win' situation.  Our lives here is but the first Chapter.  Enjoy, smell the flowers along the way.  But don't fret.  There's more to come.

And if I were dead wrong?  I wouldn't ever know the difference, would I?  But by leading a healthy life and making good use of time here -- it's still a win, no?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's some good points and then some bad, i.e. bingeing after a fast:

WebMD on Fasting

If I am sedentary a day or two on water (and black coffee and OJ) may be good.  Heck after a southern-fried Xmas, I just may go on a coffee fast for a day as I drive my bloated carcass the several hours it takes to go home.  

Normally I'm out hiking, biking, and (HIT) cardio though, so a loss of carbs will just cause "bonking".

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The small fasting mouse lived 40% longer than the fat one.  The Indian Guru ran/walked the whole London marathon.  There were reports on the benefits of fasting at least a couple decades ago.  Today the difference is biologists are just now figuring out the biochemical basis such affects our bodies.   So one can ignore the doctor in the documentary or his book but not the considerable ongoing credible research he is merely reporting on.  Easily web searched.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Apr. 04 2013, 5:04 pm)
The small fasting mouse lived 40% longer than the fat one.  The Indian Guru ran/walked the whole London marathon.  There were reports on the benefits of fasting at least a couple decades ago.  Today the difference is biologists are just now figuring out the biochemical basis such affects our bodies.   So one can ignore the doctor in the documentary or his book but not the considerable ongoing credible research he is merely reporting on.  Easily web searched.

While there are many web articles on the benefits of fasting, there are just as many articles noting the research is incomplete, and that fasting done without the proper knowledge of the risks involved can be dangerous.

That's where the problem lies with this guy's "documentary" and book.  It has started an obsessive diet craze in the UK, and again while there seems to be some legitimate benefits to occasional fasting - nearly every article out there cautions against using it as a dieting method.  The drop in metabolism, such that, when eating resumes it is even easier to put more weight back on.  

I just think he could have thrown a bit more caution into the PBS special.  I walked away thinking from it thinking, "Wow! This is amazing!" and a cursory glance on Google made me rethink that.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Apr. 04 2013, 2:21 pm)
I just think he could have thrown a bit more caution into the PBS special.

He doesn't mention his book in the documentary and is generally rather honest making input about his own situation coming from a non-experts perspective.  What the audience ought to take away is his own experiments in the doc are the least important information that is simply there to make it more viewable as an investigative journey where the investigator gets personally involved.   But yeah for the really ignorant those may be the only parts that soak in.  Was one reason he interviewed experts.   Of course whenever there is anything to do with dieting or taking vitamins etc there will always be a significant audience of viewers for which much of such information totally goes over their heads and are subsequently easily manipulated by popular media and scam artists ready to take advantage of the current fad.   But to the more knowledgeable audience the doc hit the mark.  Personally I'm going to tweak my own general diet now because some of that information has tremendous value, especially how the body switches between modes depending on the amount of protein in one's blood.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Apr. 04 2013, 6:19 pm)
especially how the body switches between modes depending on the amount of protein in one's blood.

Those aspects were very interesting

--------------
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm still not sure if I want to live longer if I have to be hungry all the time.  

I fasted once as a young woman.  I was then sick all the next day.  Didn't inspire me to do more.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not interested in fasting.  Food is too much fun.  But, I do think raw foods and more natural foods are much better.  I was a vegan for a couple years and went down to my ideal weight and felt more energetic and better than I ever have b4 or since....now I'm just a pig.  :)  I would like to navigate back to that diet....:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 17
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've lived better so that living longer isn't as important.
 Post Number: 18
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm still unusually hungry nearly a week after finishing a one week backpacking trip, since I stay very thin as it is. I typically eat only one meal per day, though. It is normal in many parts of the world where food is scarce, such as Mongolia. I consume, at about a half-half ratio, in pretty equal proportions both the Good and the Bad.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
17 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 2:08 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Want to live longer?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions