2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Totally bummed out  :(< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Broke my ankle halfway down the Grand Canyon on Saturday. Got flown out by helicopter just before sunset the same day and spent most of the night at the hospital in Flagstaff.  Made our way back to the South Rim the next day, then back to Las Vegas and then home.  I'm heartbroken but incredibly grateful for the help we got; things could have been a lot worse.

We were about 5 miles in on the Tanner, one of the more rugged trails on the eastern side of the South Rim.  We were on the switchbacks descending the Redwall when I slipped.  I heard it crack.  We were extremely lucky and had other hikers nearby -- doesn't happen often on the Tanner -- who helped me get to a flat area where we could camp and agreed to contact rangers as soon as they got to the rim.  We were prepared to spend the night and had just finished dinner when we heard the chopper.  They're pretty amazing -- landed that bird on a flat area the size of a large dining room table.

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how helpful the "corporate" entities have been -- Delta airlines found us two seats on a sold-out flight home, Xanterra found us a room at the South Rim, and Flagstaff medical center got us a hotel room and taxi transportation, all on a very busy Easter weekend.  (Ironically, it's been my primary care doctor's office that have been total boneheads.)

My son and I at the trailhead:

Trail through the wash:

Overlook at the top of the Redwall where we stopped for lunch:

Switchbacks through the Redwall descent:

Last picture I have of the trail before the accident:

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes!  That's the kind of thing I fear most on the trail.  I'm sorry your trip was cut short and I hope you heal fast.
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So sorry to hear about your mishap, but I hope that you're on the road to recovery. You certainly got some great pictures before things went bad.

Best wishes.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sorry to hear that.  I am sure it was scary, both for you and your son, until you realized others would be of help.  I am glad it wasn't worse for you.  

Having been the beneficiary of one of those chopper rides, and the graciousness of the lodges finding housing, I totally understand where you are coming from.  Sometimes we are frustrated with the Park system, and then there are times like this that makes us wonder how they manage at all.  They are truly wonderful people.

Hope you heal quickly.  I will be going down Hermit on the 13th.  I will try to bring back a better TR.  :)  

ETA:  What kind of shoes / boots were you wearing?  I only ask to add fuel to the fire that it really doesn't matter what kind of boot or shoe you wear.  Ankle support with boots is not that helpful when it comes to injuries like this.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very sorry you were hurt.  I hope you mend fast, with little pain, and completely heal.  

Nice pics.

Take care .... Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear you're OK.  Nice pics
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch!  How are your ankles now?  Speedy recovery!!

Good pics.  BTW, if you told us the photo was your son and his gf -- we would believe it.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get well soon. Now you can add Helicopter ride to your list of adventures if it was not already there

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry about your accident!  Glad that there were others nearby to offer assistance and that you got airlifted out in short order.  Heal quickly!

Oh, nice pics too!

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 11
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry to hear about the injury. Hope the ankle heals quickly.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 12
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes! I winced as soon as I read that you broke an ankle. It's something we all think won't happen and also think we would be prepared for. (I'm wondering now if the ace bandage I bring along would do any good at all. Except for helping put a stint on.)

Those hikers nearby were a blessing and their actions meant you wouldn't have to spend the night on an exposed trail. The helicopter arrival before nightfall must have been quite a relief. And the excellent care and attention you got says a lot about the support in place for such an emergency.

Now, both you and your son have a unique story to tell.

Heal fast and heal well.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the well wishes.  Downloading the pictures today made me so sad.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon here in Ann Arbor yesterday and got more x-rays.  Tibia's clearly fractured at the ankle but the ankle wasn't compromised, so no need for surgery unless that changes.  I'm in a cast (maize 'n blue for Michigan in the Final Four -- Go Blue!!  :)  ) and hobbling around on crutches.

I was wearing trail runners, Montrail Bajadas.  Not quite a minimalist shoe but pretty lightweight.  I broke my ankle because I slipped (and broke the back leg, not the lead one.)  Tanner is really steep and really loose.  A boot may have saved me, not for its "ankle support" but if it had bigger lugs and better traction.  On the other hand, a big stiff boot makes me less nimble, so it could have meant a more catastrophic fall instead of just a slip.  Hard to say.  

Even with 8 days of food and 3L of water, both of our packs were under 30lb (each, obviously) and temps were in that perfect mid-60's range.  So, conditions were about as good as they could be and we were feeling great.  It really was just a stupid little slip.  I'm still kicking myself.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Apr. 04 2013, 11:17 am)
(maize 'n blue for Michigan in the Final Four -- Go Blue!!  :)  )

I do hope Michigan beats Syracuse, but I want them to lose Monday night to my CARDINALS.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 04 2013, 2:02 pm)
I'm wondering now if the ace bandage I bring along would do any good at all. Except for helping put a stint on.

I had a small roll of athletic tape (1", I think) and maybe 5ft of duct tape, all what I usually carry in my first-aid/emergency kit.  The first thing I did was take my shoe and sock off and tape my ankle with the athletic tape.  Put my socks/shoe back on and splinted my ankle with my crocs (one on each side) and duct tape.  Then propped 4 ibuprofen.

With that in place, I was able to hobble, butt-scoot and be half-carried down the last 50-feet or so of switchbacks without falling apart.  That took almost an hour, I think.

We expected to spend the night there.  We had started with 3L of water each and still had half of it left. One of the hikers gave us an extra quart of water for insurance, so we had a gallon of water.  My son pitched the tarp so we'd have shade and blew up our pads, so we were comfortable.  Couldn't argue with the location.

Ironically, once we were picked up and I didn't have to worry about conserving water, they wouldn't let me drink any in case I needed surgery...  I realized later that I didn't pee for 12 hours straight.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a "full-contact" type of trail but as you say, could have been worse.  Seems things worked out.  The thing to do now is concentrate on healing properly and getting ready for your next adventure.  

For those who've never been there, the helicopters are always flying in the GC but could be for moving large pieces are infrastructure as well as first aid.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 17
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope you heal fast. The pictures showed a challanging hike. I hope you get to go back and finish it.
 Post Number: 18
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Nice pics...and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Everybody knows something.
 Post Number: 19
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear of the accident, glad to hear your son and others were there to help.  Hope you heal fast, but more importantly - well.   :)
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wish you a speedy recovery, glad the doc said it isn't worse.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes, yeah, that looks like quite the trail.  Glad you got out okay!  The Canyon will still be there for the next hike...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 22
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I'm sorry!  Major bummer, and no fun at all.  Glad it didn't turn out worse, and that your son didn't have to go solo to get you help or anything.  Heal well!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch !! Sounds like you definitely had a nice bit of luck after the accident. Heal fast, The Canyon will only be deeper the next time you get back.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 24
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard about your accident and I am so sorry.  That totally sucks.
You strike me as someone who will recover quickly and be back out there asap.
I can't think of anything that I can do to help, but if you think of something, let me know!   :)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's only a flesh wound. :p

Seriously, best of luck to you, and as reuben pointed out, I hope you heal well.  In the meantime, I'm still pretty sure it beats a day in the office.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, no question that if I a going to break my leg, I'd rather do it in the GC than the office. . .maybe.  As long as a nice rescue is as convenient as it proved!

ETA: I think that what I mean is, I'd rather be telling the tale of having broken it in the GC than of having done so slipping on the wet floor by the water cooler.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you heal fast and at 100%.

It is so easy to slip on those trails in the GC. Been there, done that!
 Post Number: 28
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What was your son's reaction at the time of the accident?

Freaked or calm?
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that is a bummer, indeed.  Having hiked some of the more challenging trails in the Grand Canyon, I can understand how easily it can happen.  You'll heal quickly and be back in the Grand Canyon in no time.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 30
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

First good Trip Report out of you in awhile and you come apart  :D

Heal well and get some time to have more trips to share.

This is from a guy who smashed a finger in car door three weeks ago in haste to go back and get the map case forgotten in the apartment.  Good news was the first aid kit had just been re-stocked and in reach. Worse part, the windows were still frosted over and had to be scraped before I could head to the ER and get four stiches. Two hours later, still got trail for the day.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
36 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 1:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Totally bummed out  :(
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions