2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Desert (dweller) Lessons, Trail Mussings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last weekend ldyblade and I did an overnighter up the Hoh River to Olympus Guard Station.  It was a flat 9+ miles in and thus for the two days about 19 miles total.  It was also the first really warm weekend here in the PNW.  I wore a long sleeved half zip shirt and long pants.  It did frost over night but the days were sunny and warm, I would estimate in the 70s.  We started off in gaiters anticipating a mucky trail, but three miles in I removed mine.  I would have removed the lover legs of my pants but I did not have my convertable pants on.  I really did get warm and slightly uncomfortable.

One thing we did was to take long breaks.  We stopped for over an hour for lunch both days.  We sought out shade and ate quietly, removing our shoes and socks.  On Sunday, ldyblade even stuck her feet in the water for a refreshing bit of cool.  It sounds strange to talk about hiding from the heat on the last two days of March with mild weather, but the sun was working hard to heat us up.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me as we hiked, the sun always wins.  When hiking in the desert with desert dweller several years back, I learned a few things.  One thing dd taught me about the desert is that when it gets dangerously hot, you just have to stop hiking and find shade.  One day we sat in the shaddow of a huge overhanging rock and a couple trees from about 11:30 am till 3:00pm or so.  Another lesson dd taught me was to never pass up an opportunity to cool off.  So when the wind blew, we would face the wind and hold our arms out to catch the maximum cooling effect.

I guess the real lesson the desert and dd taught me was that I needed to sync myself with the environment rather than just try to bull my way through it, because the sun always wins.  This applies to more than just the desert, but it is kind of a mantra to me now.  Hope this makes sense.

Rumi~the sun always wins~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That made me smile, because I often think of DD's hiking styles. I also remember him stopping and hoding his arms out away from his sdes while facing into the wind.

I remember a phrase he shared with me when I first met him in Joshua Tree many years ago. "Don't step on what you can step over and don't step over what you can step around."

DD gives good advice. :)
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Apr. 04 2013, 11:58 am)
That made me smile...

DD gives good advice. :)

I am glad I brought a smile to someone today!  And yes, dd gives good advice.  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh by the way, the sun always wins is MINE!  I came on it Sunday afternoon.  Don't try to steal it or I'll sue. I don't want to see any blog, book, videos, or anything else with that as the name.  hahaha

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sun always wins.  Yes.
Need to sync oneself to one's environment.  Yes.

But we humans also have a very wide range of adaptation -- and we lose it when we don't use it.  So a balancing act too.

I'm at the other side of the spectrum.  I routinely hike in 100+ weather, no shade, but plenty of water, and enjoy it.  But I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sun is my bane and therefore, will always win, hence, I seek ways to avoid it entirely, if I can.  Having a freakin' sensitivity to it, as in getting massively, physically ill if exposed too long, has definitely forced me to tame my ways.  Everyday in the sun is much like desert hiking to me.  I appreciate Rumi adapting his hiking style to my aversion and thank DD for starting the process.   :)
 Post Number: 7
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the sun. But I've also had peeling arms and bloody lips this week because of it. It sure does win, providing all of our food and everything on top of it all.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 8
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 4:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“The extreme clarity of the desert light is equaled by the extreme individuation of desert life forms. Love flowers best in openness and freedom.”
― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Yeah, the desert will show you a reality that can't be denied. There's no taming it. At best you'll have enough shade to nap amongst the boulders. But, usually there's only enough to have a creosote shadowed place to sit and comptemplate how much water you don't have.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mussing trails with the lover legs of your pants????

Y'ain't doin' it right.

:D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 06 2013, 4:33 am)
Mussing trails with the lover legs of your pants????

Y'ain't doin' it right.

:D

I have dyslexic typing skills.  hahaha

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 06 2013, 1:14 am)
Yeah, the desert will show you a reality that can't be denied. There's no taming it.

For me, the desert environment was so different than what I was accustomed to that it just presented BPing/hiking in a new light.  Thus I was confronted with a truth, which though I already knew it, in a way which registered as a discovery. I could have just as easily expressed this idea as the river always wins.  Another similar expression is contained in the mountaineer saying the mountain doesn't care.  Anyway, last Sunday as the relatively mild heat from the sun shone down on me along the Hoh River, and as I reflected on my time with you in the desert, it all coalesced into the sun always wins.

In my mind it isn't a matter of conquering the desert/mountain/river/whatever, it is the challenge to find how best to live with our surrounding environment.  I know this is kinda a spiritual as well as practical outlook which some people may view differently.  Some may even consider this type of thought as inappropriate of just nutty thinking.  That is OK with me.  

Rumi

PS:  If I traveled near a black hole, I might have come up with gravity always wins.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, definitely a spiritual thing as well as practical.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fact that this was posted on April's birthday stopped me, but now I can't help smiling, because who can say who won in her case, the sun, maybe, but April too, for the place and company and the choice she was given, and the rest of the world, for sure , because having had her in it still feels ripples of the fact that so many people are better for having known her.  So Thank you

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all always surprise me when you talk about hot.  Last summer eyebp and I were at the lake, it was 108F and about 98% humidity.  He took a one mile mike and nearly died.  I've done 120F in the desert, in the sun.  Meh.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sun always wins...I like it.  I first sort of learned that idea on a hike in the Salmon River Canyon, in Idaho one June.  Though much cooler out of the canyon, down where we were with the sun reflecting off the rock walls, it was pushing 100.  We're not used to that sort of heat, certainly not in June, and not on backpacking trips in the mountains.  It felt like a novel, brilliant, totally creative idea when someone suggested we find some shade and take a nap for a few hours, instead of pressing through the heat of the afternoon.  Eureka!

I do remember my dad telling me to watch my grandma's feet ahead of me on the trail.  "See how she always steps over or around things, instead of climbing up and jumping down?  Put your feet where your grandma puts her feet."

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go to the desert in the spring, as we usually do, it might be "the wind always wins" :D

But seriously, I, too, had to learn a new way of being and thinking and hiking when I started going to the desert with my spouse.  We've done some hiking in mid-summer, and I can remember once spending about 5 hours in a sort of cave in Canyonlands, waiting out the heat of the day--and getting chilled to the core while doing it!

I'm not as allergic as Ldyblade, but I'm a redhead and the descendent of redheads, and my Dad showed us, after a lifetime outdoors, that the sun really does always win :(

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Apr. 06 2013, 8:53 pm)
If you go to the desert in the spring, as we usually do, it might be "the wind always wins" :D

If you live in eastern Idaho, that is pretty much the mantra year round, unfortunately.  I sort of loathe the wind.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 18
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here the wind is non stop and the rain is harsh but it is the sea that always wins. An average of five deaths a year in our area from sneaker waves.
Never turn your back on the sea was the first bit of advice I heard and oft repeated.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
17 replies since Apr. 04 2013, 2:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Desert (dweller) Lessons
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions