2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: First Overnight of the Year - Shikoku< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had some really nice day hikes the last couple of months but haven't really gotten out as much as I would have liked.  But the wife is out of town on business and daughter is spending spring break @ grandma's so I figured to take advantage & get out overnight.  I decided on Shikoku Island's Ishizuchi National Forest area.  Mt Ishizuchi is western Japan's highest spot at just short of 1900m and also one of the 7 sacred mountains of Japan.  Part of the 88 Temple pilgramage route runs thru the area and Buddist piligrims have been hiking & climbing this area for centuries.  I took the first morning ferry from Hiroshima to Matsuyama on Shikoku.  Although I've been to Shikoku before was first time using the ferry & was one of the best mode of transport decisions I've ever made.  From Matsuyama caught an express train & shuttle bus and made it to Nishinowa was at the base of Ishizuchi.  An 1.5hr hike takes you to the Joju area.  This is a large temple complex just outside the trailhead.  The hike is through heavily wooded areas and across several saddles to reach Ishizuchi's base. At about 1700m there was still a lot of snow and glass ice coverage.  If I had a do over crampons would have been a wise option.  But made it to the sub-summit for beautiful views.  Too much ice to make it all the way to the peak. Came back down and camped just off the western approach.  Slept the sleep of the righteous and made my way back to Joju the next morning.  All in all a great way to get out for the night.  Gear note:  Finally upgraded to a down bag & first time out with it.  Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15*.  I don't know how I did synthetic all this time.

Sorry to ramble, never wrote one of these before.  Cheers!

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll try & get some pictures posted.  Here is catching the morning ferry from Hiroshima port.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Joju Temple area surrounding the trailhead entrance.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trailhead entrance

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Into the trailhead

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Traditional pilgrim climbing chains.  Almost vertical in 33m increments.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much more snow & ice buildup than I expected

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last tori gate before the final push up.  I camped for the night about 50m below this gate

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just below the peak.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The summit shrine

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coming back down

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

view from my tent

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Return day.  Quick break at a small shrine along the trail.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 14
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures, and very rugged, thanks!
 Post Number: 15
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  Thanks for posting the photos.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
GeorgeDW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for inviting us along on your overnight, pictures with explanation r great.
 Post Number: 17
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the trip report. Very cool pics.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 18
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, the one labeled "coming back down" just freaks me right out!

Love the shrines - must be extra peaceful.

Thanks for sharing!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 19
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing!  There seems to be a burgeoning backpacking culture in Japan, but with some differences as shrines and even food carts are on the side of the trail according to my research.  No long trail but think there's a way to mix hostels, hotels, and camping on a walk through Japan.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 20
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool - thanks for posting!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 21
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What an interesting hike.  I always like trails that have a little history, but nothing I've seen compares to that.  Thanks for sharing a corner of the world many of us will likely never see.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 22
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really Awesome!  Thanks for posting.  Hopefully I can explore this area one day.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 23
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lovely, and very 'zen'!  :)

Also liked the four-language ferry banner.  A popular route for international hikers?

And yes, for the same warmth, a good down bag is just so much lighter and packs so much smaller than a synthetic!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 24
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool! What was your temperature at night?

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for the positive feedback!

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Apr. 05 2013, 12:44 pm)
Wow, the one labeled "coming back down" just freaks me right out!

Love the shrines - must be extra peaceful.

Thanks for sharing!

Peaceful is an understatement :).  Being off season I had the whole mountain & trail to myself and the solitutude was very refreshing.  As far as coming back down, I didn't plan for that much ice build up.  If I go this route again in early April crampons are a must.  Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Apr. 05 2013, 1:55 pm)
Thanks for sharing!  There seems to be a burgeoning backpacking culture in Japan, but with some differences as shrines and even food carts are on the side of the trail according to my research.  No long trail but think there's a way to mix hostels, hotels, and camping on a walk through Japan.

Yes backpacking seems to have picked up quite a following here the last several years.  It was always there, I think now it just enjoying a more mainstream boom.  Shrines and temples are big part of many of the routes.  I've never seen a food cart per se but most mountain roads on the way to trailheads have what are called "michi no eki" which are more or less roadside service areas with food and locally grown produce and many have mini onsen (hot baths).  No long trail the way we think of one back home (the AT is 2200 mi in length, the entire length of the main island of Honsu is only 810 mi) but in a country that is over 70% mountain & forest there is no shortage of trails and routes.  Everything from day hikes to backcountry as well as urban backpacking.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 07 2013, 12:21 am)
Lovely, and very 'zen'!  :)

Also liked the four-language ferry banner.  A popular route for international hikers?

And yes, for the same warmth, a good down bag is just so much lighter and packs so much smaller than a synthetic!

Zen indeed :)

June through August will see a lot of international studenets (primarily Europe but also from US & across Asia) spending summer abroad.  I live directly across from Miyajima island which is a UNESCO site and do a lot of my weekend dayhiking there and always huge groups of tourists & backpackers from all over the world.

The down bag was awesome.  Was toasty warm all night and they way in packed down compared to my old TNF synthetic made it seem like i doubled pack size!

Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Apr. 07 2013, 12:27 am)
Cool! What was your temperature at night?

I think it hovered at right around 0* C.  When I woke up at 05:30 there was light frosting on my rainfly and the temp was 2* C

--------------
 Post Number: 30
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a good night out!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
30 replies since Apr. 05 2013, 5:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply First Overnight of the Year - Shikoku
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions