2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dang, it happened again.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like it happens every year.  Again, this year which was a rather dismal snow year, the local ski hill got the biggest dump of the season - currently several feet and still snowing.  The rub - the area closed yesterday. :(   Now that's a first world issue.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, a lot of our ski resorts are about to experience the same first world problem.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what snowshoeing is for...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 08 2013, 10:25 pm)

Point taken.  I'll be heading out some time this week for the trails in the Beartooth high country.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How far you gotta walk to get to the high country? Roads gotta be snowed in aren't they?
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our current forecast predicts up to 3 feet of snow over a broad area by tomorrow night. I'm all for it.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tallgrass @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:01 pm)
How far you gotta walk to get to the high country? Roads gotta be snowed in aren't they?

Actually, the road I have in mind, West Fork of Rock Creek, is plowed for several miles to provide access to homes.  From the barricade it's about a mile and half road walk to the Basin Lakes trailhead which swithchbacks up the side of the Silver Run plateau for about three and half miles.  At that point I'll be well above 9000 ft and at treeline.

But your point is well taken, most trail access around here is severely limited in winter by unplowded roads.  Still, there are places you can go.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:35 pm)
But your point is well taken, most trail access around here is severely limited in winter by unplowded roads.  Still, there are places you can go.

What's the difference between an unplowed road and a trail?   :laugh:
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:42 pm)

(hikerjer @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:35 pm)

What's the difference between an unplowed road and a trail?   :laugh:

Well, for one thing, around here unplowed roads are generally pretty well used by snowmobiles which, thankfully, aren't allowed on most actual hiking trails.  Roads also tend to be packed down due to the snow machines (no powder which essentially makes snowshoes unnecessary), wider, much more level and generally much more boring.  Not that I haven't snow shoed or x-country skied roads before but I much prefer trails both summer and winter.

Hope that clears that up. :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 09 2013, 12:02 am)
Well, for one thing, around here unplowed roads are generally pretty well used by snowmobiles which, thankfully, aren't allowed on most actual hiking trails.

Ooh, that's not good.  :(

It's not legal to drive snowmobiles on unplowed roads here, but there was a bad snowmobile hit-and-run on a pedestrian a couple years ago.   I avoid anywhere a snowmobile might be.
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 5:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Skiing just got harder, that is all. Red Lodge has a handful of dedicated skiers that will be skinning up to climb the hill early in the morning, and enjoying all of that fresh snow without any crowd. I'm enjoying the garden here, but you reminded me of how much I miss spring snow.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 12
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it's going to be 85 here and I'm going to the beach for lunch.
 Post Number: 13
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:11 pm)
Our current forecast predicts up to 3 feet of snow over a broad area by tomorrow night. I'm all for it.

Our current forecast says that 90 tomorrow isn't out of the question.  I am NOT happy about this.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 14
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 09 2013, 12:16 am)

(hikerjer @ Apr. 09 2013, 12:02 am)
Well, for one thing, around here unplowed roads are generally pretty well used by snowmobiles which, thankfully, aren't allowed on most actual hiking trails.

Ooh, that's not good.  :(

It's not legal to drive snowmobiles on unplowed roads here, but there was a bad snowmobile hit-and-run on a pedestrian a couple years ago.   I avoid anywhere a snowmobile might be.

A lot of our local snowmobile trails just happen to run by little countryside biker bars...

:O

Most often though they just dump themselves in a not-quite-so-frozen lake during the spring thaw.   :(

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 15
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Apr. 09 2013, 8:17 am)
Our current forecast says that 90 tomorrow isn't out of the question.  I am NOT happy about this.

And the weird part is how it got down to 28F this past saturday night out where I was camping.

http://www.accuweather.com/en....2111232

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 16
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 08 2013, 7:43 pm)

Point taken.  I'll be heading out some time this week for the trails in the Beartooth high country.

Head west!
I was hiking at 9000' in the Sierra a few days ago.  A few patches of snow here and there, but mostly dirt.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:49 am)

Head west!
I was hiking at 9000' in the Sierra a few days ago.  A few patches of snow here and there, but mostly dirt.

That does not sound good.  Is it normal for the area to be so dry this early in the year?  I thought the Sierras got huge dumps this year.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most years, the mountains of the southwest usually get a serious snow-dump in mid-April after some melting in March.  Throws those hikers and campers not used to these systems for a loop but they could miss a day or so of work on an overnight.  The big problem is transport, as the road crews have switched to a summer schedule and they weren't going to plow the passes and tight turns during the weekend anyways.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 09 2013, 5:44 am)
Skiing just got harder, that is all. Red Lodge has a handful of dedicated skiers that will be skinning up to climb the hill early in the morning, and enjoying all of that fresh snow without any crowd. I'm enjoying the garden here, but you reminded me of how much I miss spring snow.

You're correct there.  I should borrow my son's skins and head up, but man, that's a lot of work  climbing that high for a single run.  Guess my age is beginning to show. :p

--------------
 Post Number: 20
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 09 2013, 7:55 am)

(hbfa @ Apr. 09 2013, 10:49 am)

Head west!

That does not sound good.  Is it normal for the area to be so dry this early in the year?  I thought the Sierras got huge dumps this year.

We got a fair amount of snow early in the season and then it kind of tapered off.  There is still quite a bit of snow at the higher elevations.  

To answer your question, no it's not normal to be hiking at 9000' in the first week of April.  Usually it would be XC skis or snowshoes.  There was nobody out and not a bug in sight!  Quite nice.
 Post Number: 21
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two words ... climate change.  Get used to it cause there is more change a coming.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Apr. 09 2013, 7:30 pm)
Two words ... climate change.  Get used to it cause there is more change a coming.

Rumi

I'm afraid you're right. :(

--------------
 Post Number: 23
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my area, big snows are common in April. The climate change appears to be the drought and warmer temperatures we've had about 9 out of 10 of the last years. Hard to say for sure.

But April begins our wettest months of the year: April, May, and June.  To not have big snow storms in April would be the big disappointment. Even this storm won't remedy the drought. But mid-way through the storm many locations this morning had over a foot of new snow. The mountains, of course, are getting more than that.

This storm is more like part of a normal April with big snows.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
22 replies since Apr. 08 2013, 9:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dang, it happened again.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions