2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Arizona road trip transparencies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 2:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 4x5 transparency film noted in my PFNP thread last week:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1163860

came back from development, then were crudely flatbed scanned, and as is my style Photoshop processed the images to reasonably match the slides as illuminated on my light table.  All the above 10 thumbnail images are also on my Gallery_B sub-page at the bottom 3 rows.  

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/gallery_b.html

On that page select thumbnails to bring up larger images.  Following brief descriptions of those strange landscapes.

Sunday 3/24/2013 Painted Desert badlands of Petrified Forest National Park Triassic Period geology.  Exposed most of these Provia 100F transparencies well away from any roads on planned exploratory routes I analyzed before my trip.  Such places are often difficult to access because of steep badlands steps in the landscape so I had used  topographic maps before the trip to see what areas I might wend my way into.  There were no footprints anywhere near these images.  The day I arrived Saturday was windy with disgustingly dirty hazy air.  Was not too optimistic about the coming days.  But the strong north westerly flow brought in a classic pool of cold heavy dry air that was crystal clear providing some very beautifully blue skies that well complemented some of the formations I captured.

13-A1-3.jpg Chinle Formation Blue Mesa Member eroded mudstone and siltstone clay formations of wonderful dark blue to purple strata. Note considerable petrified wood logs. Strata in frame upper right is a harder capstone formation.

13-A3-1.jpg  This smooth CF BMM is actually quite visible from the highway in the Teepee section.  I just rambled out there about half a mile mid afternoon.  Conventional thinking of most serious photographers would be that such places regardless of geology, image best color early or late in the day but such is a common misconception as color of some rocks improves including many sandstones, when the sun is able to illuminate down into transparent surface minerals that then can glow. Significantly better color as these pastel purples occur when the sun altitude is 1.0 to 2.0 hours away from sunrise or sunset than closer to sunset with sun at a low altitude plus a bit off axis images look better to bring out subtle shadowing without too much shadowing.

13-A4-1.jpg  I came across this CF BMM formation that had  an ideal teepee shape and was actually about the size of a large teepee.   Far superiod in shape to a named The Teepees road pullout of near much larger formations with much less ideal shapes.   I saw this formation late in the morning but light was too harsh.  So came back and shot this about an hour from sunset.

Monday 3/25/2013
13-A5-2.jpg   The best CF BMM formation I found on my ramblings is this serated clay erete.  Sky was such a wonderful deep color by 8am.   The whole area was just magical.  A nice chunk of crystaline wood in just the right spot.

13-A5-3.jpg   Another image near 13-A5-2 showing more petrified wood in a deep purple gully.

13-A6-2.jpg This is at the north end of the park below the Painted Desert overlook loop road.  Miocene Period basalt lava provides a capstone in that area and below is more Triassic strata including some beautifully light pink.  Painted Desert Formation Lower Owl Rock Member.   I could see these  geologies from the scenic viewpoints so dropped down the trail and then climbed up to this rather close image of smoothly curving soft eroded pink clay I knew would go well against the blue sky.  The black rock is pieces of basalt that rolled down from higher up on steep slopes.  

13-A6-3.jpg   Another similar formation near 13-A6-2.

13-A7-1.jpg   Climbed out on a rib top to reach this spot then managed to frame something up working the curves of red colors.  

Wednesday 2/27/2013 Monday evening drove southwest to near Phoenix sleeping overnight on a deserted dirt road on BLM lands.  Only time I'd ever been there was briefly for a friends wedding so did a lot of web pre-trip homework. Had precipitation maps that showed a minor area northwest of Phoenix in the Sonora Desert received about the only above normal rains this winter.   An abundance of spring wildflowers and lush greenery was confirmed as I monitored a local Arizon Hiking website.  Tuesday morning I got some ok images while rambling about quite a bit off trails then midday drove around a lot looking at perspective public lands.  Also treated myself to a mid week one night stay at a nice motel with wifi.  Found an area that looked very promising and worked it the folllowing Wednesday morning.  Then went back mid afternoon when clouds filled the sky above and nailed a couple of excellent landscapes below.  Quickly learned the best flowers were not surprisingly often in the washes.  Despite being near a vast urban area, saw absolutely no footprints in the below washes but there was one rattlesnake haha.

13-A9-2.jpg   Foreground barrel cactus frame lower right and red hued chuparosa flowers center.  Further back yellow hued brittlebush along with Cholla and saguaro cactus, ocotillo, and ironwood trees.  Had search for a situation I could get some saguaro up in the sky with flowers in the foreground.  

13-A9-3.jpg   Same species as 13-A9-2 with interesting slopes of a desert peak behind.  Exposed the film about 15 minutes before sunset when light was dimming and warm that registered about EV10 on my lightmeter, a rather tricky exposure I managed to nail.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of those are like moonscapes with blue skies.  Nice.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 09 2013, 6:47 am)
Some of those are like moonscapes with blue skies.  Nice.

Look closely and you can see the Apollo 11.

Thanks for posting, Dave.
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really liked the Bristlecone, The Dancer (06-Y4-1.jpg). Was that taken in the Inyo?

I've saw my first bristlecone up close a few years ago in the Spring Mountains north of Las Vegas.
Bristlecone

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 09 2013, 4:00 pm)
I really liked the Bristlecone, The Dancer (06-Y4-1.jpg). Was that taken in the Inyo?

Yeah within the WMBP reserve.   Two of us first found that tree a few years before when I was carrying a 6x7.   Then went back in 2006 with the 4x5.  A lot of that vast area has rarely been explored except maybe once or twice by dendrocrinologists with drills.

DD, noticed desertusa report just said mountains just east of Tuscon are really popping now with perrenials.   Wish I had more time available in your parts to get punctured by cholla and listening to bees on chuparosa  but that will have to wait for a future lush spring.  Fortunately not that far from retiring now.   And venture back into those purple and red landscapes.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
4 replies since Apr. 09 2013, 2:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Arizona road trip transparencies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions