2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Who Here Owns Stocks? :: Total Votes:33
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes - stocks, stock mutual funds, stock IRA, 401K or equiv. 31  [93.94%]
No - but will set something up - can't be young forever. 0  [0.00%]
Hell no - never, biggest scam in the world! 2  [6.06%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who Here Owns Stocks?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The stock markets have been rallying like gangbusters lately.  Is euphoria finally back?  Can irrational exuberance be far behind?  But hey, enjoy the moment!

Curious, who here owns stocks in some form?  Versus who here won't touch that stuff with a 10-ft. pole?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't invest personally (don't pick and trade my own stocks), but I do have some retirement accounts that get added to monthly.  So via mutual funds/401k, yes, I do own some stocks.  And they've been doing quite well lately.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really don't think the market can keep this kind of climb going for much longer (not at the rate it's been climbing lately anyway).  The one "next bubble" I see being mentioned often in investor circles is a bond bubble, but if the stock market keeps marching like this - it'll never happen!

I think we'll see a bit of retraction in the coming months - those looking to cash in on recent profits - but nothing shockingly major - which is also how I'd bet the rest of the year performs in the stock market.

ETA: I voted, but didn't answer the question.  Yes, I do own stocks.  I'm almost pure stocks in my 401(k) which is my only current investment vehicle.  However, I'm quite active in where those funds are invested.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am the same, GBH.  As long as my mutual funds are performing comparably with their respective indices, then I am happy enough.

Eastie -- no, no way this can continue.  My own experience is that market growths come in short and sharp spurts.  And oftentimes, markets tank violently in very short amount of time as well.  I don't pretend I can ever make timing call's just right -- so I've always been the "buy and hold" type.  I own mutual funds and not stocks directly -- but I choose MF's with both good performance and low turnover.  Hate paying taxes on capital gains distributions.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just sold some in the last few weeks that were up pretty good. Still have some, Intel for one. They are gonna be big.
 Post Number: 6
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any on hand, but they don't look hard to whip up real quick...

Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When the market hits new highs, I get out.  I have some stock investments, but most of my play money is in high yield bonds right now.
 Post Number: 8
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outside of my 401k I have a few dollars tied up in several high risk stocks that I believe have potential if the companies are properly managed through their challenges.  It's money that I went in knowing I could lose.  If one of them hits I'll be looking for a part time job.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 11 2013, 1:41 pm)
 I own mutual funds and not stocks directly -- but I choose MF's with both good performance and low turnover.  Hate paying taxes on capital gains distributions.

Ben you might consider ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) they don't turn over as frequently as mutual funds, the management fees are usually less and they can be traded like individual equities, should you be so inclined.
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, but mostly aggressive ETF's in a retirement trust using a set percentage .  Barely started nibbling at Treasuries to start balancing out.  Probably rename it a "take this job and shove it" fund a la Johnny Paycheck.

The rest I mostly spend.  Too many "close calls" on America's interstates (no fault of my own) and just seen too many acquaintances pass away right after retiring from a job - usually in about 2 social security paychecks -- kaput if lucky, ... a long wasting disease with total paralysis if not so lucky.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Apr. 11 2013, 4:41 pm)
I don't pretend I can ever make timing call's just right -- so I've always been the "buy and hold" type.  I own mutual funds and not stocks directly -- but I choose MF's with both good performance and low turnover.  Hate paying taxes on capital gains distributions.

There aren't many of us out there who can time the market, and those who can often make a profession of it!

Buy and hold is the way to go for the rest of us, but if over the next 5-10 years I can build up a little more "free cash" I'd be willing to speculate a bit. However, it's an endeavor I'd never take lightly.

Ever read Ben Graham's "The Intelligent Investor"?  I got a copy after an internship at a brokerage, and while it's a bit dry, it's considered the gold standard to value investing (versus those who have the cash and time to speculate).  I'd highly recommend it if you ever wish to explore outside the realm of mutual funds or even just for general knowledge on the subject.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stocks, bonds, funds, ETFs... yeah.

It's an interesting field, and if I had time I'd be more involved, but I rarely buy or sell.
 Post Number: 13
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine are also in managed accounts - 401K, IRA - I don't touch them and I rarely even look at them.  My company has filed an S-1 to prepare for IPO, so I will likely start paying much better attention to the stock market soon :)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes.  I started investing in 1982, and have done alright by my own standards.  I managed to call a few sectors correctly, and a few individual stocks well, but generally I am a couch potato.  Bought a couple of different index funds, and have left them alone.  Today, I am looking for ways to spend it all before croaking.  I figure i have about 20 years left.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in what amounts to a 401. Mine is set to become more conservative as I get older with a targeted retirement date between 2030 and 2040.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 17
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 11 2013, 4:36 pm)
I don't invest personally (don't pick and trade my own stocks), but I do have some retirement accounts that get added to monthly.  So via mutual funds/401k, yes, I do own some stocks.  And they've been doing quite well lately.

Same here.

My CFP has been moving investments to "a more defensive posture" in anticipation of a bubble. Buy into fear, sell into greed.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 18
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Inadvertent double post from mobile device--sorry.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Apr. 11 2013, 6:55 pm)
Buy into fear, sell into greed.

Well what do you know?  We DO actually agree on something.  :cool:
 Post Number: 20
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine are in managed accounts; 403b, and a 457 account.
19 replies since Apr. 11 2013, 4:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who Here Owns Stocks?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions