2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: hiking with a gun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cobra Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 6:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm curious to find out how many hikers/ backpackers go out into the wilderness with a firearm. If so, what are you packing? I'm stashin a Ruger redhawk 44 with loaded up specials in it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although I own several firearms, including handguns, I see no reason to carry one when hiking and backpacking.

Congratulations.  Post #2 and you've hit on one of the most incendiary topics on this forum.

Oh, and welcome!
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No guns on the trail for me.
Bear spray in grizz country.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a flame thrower.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear canister, my brain.

Black bear country, that's about it.

My security ounces I invest in other choices. Like a PLB, water filter, some extra bandaids.
 Post Number: 7
gimp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cobra @ Apr. 15 2013, 6:22 pm)
I'm curious to find out how many hikers/ backpackers go out into the wilderness with a firearm. If so, what are you packing? I'm stashin a Ruger redhawk 44 with loaded up specials in it.

Why are you curious?  What are you so afraid of?

Your second post on this site and you want to 'stir the pot' so to speak?  I'm pretty sure that there was an extensive and painfully long discussion thread on this subject just a few months ago.  If you use the search function you might be able to find it.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gimp @ Apr. 15 2013, 5:05 pm)
 I'm pretty sure that there was an extensive and painfully long discussion thread on this subject just a few months ago.

and a few months before that, and a few months before that, and a few months before that, and a few months before that...
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always packin'..... so to speak.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cobra @ Apr. 15 2013, 4:22 pm)

I backpack with a rifle, but only when I'm elk hunting in the highcountry.

Otherwise it's just bear spray.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

God, we're not going here again, are we?  Why is it you gun people have to talk constantly about your guns on a backpacker forum?  There must be gun forums out there you can get your giggles on.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a S&P 40 compact. It isn't the wild life I am afraid of it is more the idiots that come from the city who think they are gods.
 Post Number: 13
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't feed the troll!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isn't it funny that "cobra" and GaryP4321 just signed up ??

--------------
 Post Number: 15
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaryP4321 @ Apr. 15 2013, 5:57 pm)
I carry a S&P 40 compact. It isn't the wild life I am afraid of it is more the idiots that come from the city who think they are gods.

Idiots who come from the city and think they are gods don't travel far from trailheads.

Ten miles into the most remote backcountry is far far safer than any city block.

Leave your guns at home and learn to shoot with a camera.

STOP LIVING IN FEAR.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 16
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a Ruger P90 .45, because I can.
 Post Number: 17
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Idiots who come from the city and think they are gods don't travel far from trailheads.
Ten miles into the most remote backcountry is far far safer than any city block.
Leave your guns at home and learn to shoot with a camera.
STOP LIVING IN FEAR.

This^^
When I first started backpacking back in the day, I carried a small 9mm. I found myself gripping to it and being paranoid about not having it around me. It creates a sense of paranoia as you feel like you need it.
Eventually, I ditched the gun and now I feel safer than ever. I use my mind as my defense.

I don't like people walking into my home with weapons, I don't see any reason to walk into someone else's. (natures home that is).

Free yourself.
 Post Number: 18
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Apr. 15 2013, 6:05 pm)
Don't feed the troll!

X2!

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 19
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a SW BodyGuard .380 in the sporran attached to my kilt because I want to.
 Post Number: 20
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Apr. 15 2013, 9:05 pm)
Don't feed the troll!

Exactly.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 21
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaryP4321 @ Apr. 15 2013, 8:57 pm)

Actually, it's idiots who think they have to carry guns in the wilderness that frighten me the most.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 22
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have several firearms but I don't carry when backpacking. BUT if I ever think I need to, it'll be a short barreled 12ga pump loaded with alternating 000 and slugs with another 6 in a sidesaddle and not some pissant handgun.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recommend that you drill some holes in that gun to lighten your load. While you are at it drill some holes in your cook pots, and leave the ammo at home. The most important thing to a backpacker is lightening the load. Maybe you have the wrong forum.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 15 2013, 8:49 pm)
I have several firearms but I don't carry when backpacking. BUT if I ever think I need to, it'll be a short barreled 12ga pump loaded with alternating 000 and slugs with another 6 in a sidesaddle and not some pissant handgun.

I've never needed a gun in the backcountry. Bears come and go with no problem UNLESS you annoy them with a pansy hand gun for no reason.

The one and ONLY time I've ever taken a weapon out against another human being was against a bunch of kids trying to break into my car many years ago.

My 12 ga wasn't even loaded, but all I had to do was pump the chamber as I walked out my front door and hollered at them.

There's something particularly threatening about the sound of a pump shotgun being pointed at you, almost as good as Napalm in the morning .....

--------------
 Post Number: 25
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 15 2013, 8:31 pm)
God, we're not going here again, are we?  Why is it you gun people have to talk constantly about your guns on a backpacker forum?  There must be gun forums out there you can get your giggles on.

+1, from someone who has backpacked with a rifle, bow, and handgun--but not all at once.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 26
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nah, never brought a gun along backpacking, too heavy and I don't see the need.

Even my little Taurus J frame knockoff model 85 is a pig when loaded.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 27
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did my share of hunting when I was much younger. That meant some hiking with a rifle, obviously, but on my own family's 23,000-acre ranch far from civilization on the Wyoming steppes.

I got rid of my last firearm when I was in college about the same time I started backpacking. I've backpacked in grizzly country with bearspray — never a firearm. And nearly every week I hike and backpack among one of the densest populations of mountain lions in this country.

I've tracked them down to within 25 feet and had many other close encounters — always unarmed. Ironically, my best protection against mountain lions is not a firearm. Along with my own power to think, that protection is the mountain lions themselves. They often know I'm there before I ever find their tracks, and they choose to avoid me.

Over 40 years of backpacking has taught me that carrying a firearm in the backcountry would be one of the biggest wastes of energy I ever engaged in. I've never been that dedicated to wasting my energy — especially in the wilderness.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 28
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only one reason to carry a gun in the backcountry: meat.  It ain't like I carry a fishing pole for fencing.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Apr. 15 2013, 6:34 pm)
I carry a Ruger P90 .45, because I can.

There are many items "I can" carry.
I try to limit it to what I know I'm likely to need.
 Post Number: 30
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never needed a gun in the backcountry. Bears come and go with no problem UNLESS you annoy them with a pansy hand gun for no reason.

That's the point. I've had several (more than 30) bear encounters at less than 50', including being licked by a black when bivied out in the Smokies. 1 was a 700# griz at 15' and while it scared me silly, I didn't feel threatened and it wandered off. Someone with a gun might have well panicked and shot it.

A person is delusional if they think they can make a killing shot with a handgun when a bear is (bluff) charging like this but one of 2 things will happen when they try.
It'll turn a bluff into a real attack or have a wounded and very pissed off bear running around that someone has to find before it takes it out on unknowing others.

http://youtu.be/O6GcWhlGF3o

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
138 replies since Apr. 15 2013, 6:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply hiking with a gun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions