2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Into the Wild...Part II< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 7:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.ktvz.com/news....ex.html

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) — A short break in the weather has allowed a rancher with a helicopter to search a rugged mountainside in southeastern Oregon for a young man inspired by the movie "Into The Wild" to test himself against the wilderness.

Harney County Sheriff Dave Glerup said Thursday that the rancher saw no trace of Dustin Self, of Piedmont, Okla., who was last heard from a month ago. His pickup truck was found Monday on the northeast flank of Steens Mountain.

Glerup says officials hope to mount another air search Saturday, when high winds that have pounded the area are expected to subside.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is what happens when someone finds inspiration from a crazy person.  Romancing insanity has its consequences
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The article doesn't say. Are they searching because he didn't meet some itinerary deadline or only because his truck was found at a TH and no one had info on it?

I've mentioned it before... I've taken some hardcore survival courses and contrary to the romantic media image, real survival sucks.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm inspired by Aron Ralston.  Think I'll go cut off my arm.
 Post Number: 5
hikernks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://abcnews.go.com/US....8990644

I'm afraid this is probably going to end in a Darwin Award.

Quotes from the article:

"Tammy Self told the AP that her son was a religious young man and a vegetarian, who had no interest in killing and eating animals"

Tammy Self said that her son "thought he was going to eat berries," but she told him that "berries don't grow in wintertime."

"His father and his girlfriend said his GPS sent him in the wrong direction, and he was somewhere on Fields Denio Road -- lost," Sheriff David R. Glerup told ABCNews.com

Dustin Self, 19, left his hometown of Piedmont, Okla., in mid-March for the Klamath Falls-Ashland area of Oregon, where he planned "to see if he could live in the wild,"

It's just a matter of time until someone finds the body.

--------------
"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil."  Thomas Paine, Common Sense
 Post Number: 6
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He sounds like a well prepared and prudent wilderness expert. I'm sure he's hunkered down in  ssophisticated rock shelter somewhere. Living large in berries and other abundant edible greens...
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A little too Self reliant?
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 2:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, kinda hard to believe.  That area is fairly benign, and one could live pretty well on fish, varmints, deer, and cougar, if need be.

How do we generate these young people with such drive and will but no practical ability to adapt to the real wilderness?

Seems like Darwin is working overtime these days.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 4:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if he made it to the end of the book during his time out there.

However, I'm sure it'll be a learning experience for him either way.  Hope he makes it out okay.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have gone on 2-3 day trips with limited food and no stove.  My thinking:  If don't catch any fish and can't start a fire I don't deserve to eat."

But I'm not going to starve to death in three days...
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) — The sheriff heading up the search for a young Oklahoma man missing in the wilds of southeastern Oregon says the young man was hallucinating the last time he telephoned his family.

He also said he was seeing plants coming out of the ground and running in a call to his girlfriend.

Nineteen-year-old Dustin Self has been missing a month since setting out from his family home outside Oklahoma City to test himself against the wilderness.

He also planned to check out churches that practice a South American religion that uses a hallucinogenic tea as a sacrament.

Sheriff Dave Glerup said Friday he thinks Self is either dead or walked off Steens Mountain and hitched a ride somewhere after his truck got stuck on a backcountry track."

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just read about that on FB and on Yahoo news...Crazy.  I thought, what about the parents, but then read he's 19 years old.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
 Post Number: 13
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dustin Self?   Prophetic!   ...sorry, the pun thread..

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 14
hikernks Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 4:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure which is going to be more of a shock; the fact that their son died or the SAR bill.

No sympathy for this kid.  It is fun to keep track of though.  The whole thing is a giant trainwreck.

--------------
"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil."  Thomas Paine, Common Sense
 Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dustin Self?   Prophetic!   ...sorry, the pun thread..

Good one, although I hope that he just changes his name to Savin.

Would only take some wit and persistence.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh, geez.  does not look good for this kid.  

I spent my day yesterday foraging for wild edibles and came out with some stuff I wound up using to make a ramp/wild leek and morel mushroom pizza with garlic and olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach, and a little bit of pepperoni and oregano.  wild edibles are fun.

but to think you're going to rely on nothing but wild edible plants for months is pretty silly.  there's a reason hunter-gatherer societies were HUNTER-gatherer societies.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 17
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds to me like even finding drinking water on Steens Mountain could be a formidable task.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 18
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a very troubled young man staging a long and elaborate suicide. Very sad.
 Post Number: 19
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Apr. 20 2013, 2:07 pm)
oh, geez.  does not look good for this kid.  

I spent my day yesterday foraging for wild edibles and came out with some stuff I wound up using to make a ramp/wild leek and morel mushroom pizza with garlic and olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach, and a little bit of pepperoni and oregano.  wild edibles are fun.

but to think you're going to rely on nothing but wild edible plants for months is pretty silly.  there's a reason hunter-gatherer societies were HUNTER-gatherer societies.

Cool. I was going to scrounge up a "lawn salad" tonight.

Where do you find wild pepperoni? :p

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 24 2013, 10:44 am)
Where do you find wild pepperoni? :p

These guys have it too

http://stewartsmeatmarket.com/smoked_meats.html
 Post Number: 21
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 18 2013, 7:33 pm)

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) — A short break in the weather has allowed a rancher with a helicopter to search a rugged mountainside in southeastern Oregon for a young man inspired by the movie "Into The Wild" to test himself against the wilderness.

Harney County Sheriff Dave Glerup said Thursday that the rancher saw no trace of Dustin Self, of Piedmont, Okla., who was last heard from a month ago. His pickup truck was found Monday on the northeast flank of Steens Mountain.

Glerup says officials hope to mount another air search Saturday, when high winds that have pounded the area are expected to subside.

Before anyone is inspired by it they should be certain to read all the way to end.
20 replies since Apr. 18 2013, 7:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Into the Wild...Part II
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions