2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking/hiking tips, Give us just one of your insights< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 10:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We all have little tricks and tips we've picked up through our experiences backpacking.  So, let's share them. Explain just one tip or trick you use to make your hikes more pleasurable or rewarding.  Mine concerns blisters when x-country skiing. It seemed for years that regardless of what boots or socks I used when x-country skiing, I always got blisters on my heels.  One day, I simply taped a piece of duct tape on my heel where the blister usually formed and as if by magic, they didn't develop on that day's ski.  I never ski with duct taping my heels now and I never have blisters.  Simple but effective.

What's you tip of the day?[B]

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JD_TREX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good tip hikerjer.I used to take band aids and moleskin,but those only worked after the fact. Duct tape is multi purpose too.
I usually wrap some spare duct tape around my drinking bottle for backup.

My tip is super simple:Paracord :) it just comes in handy for so many uses.Hanging food,backup tent line it can even be used as a spare shoe lace.Not really a tip,just something I find that is lite weight and fits easily in your pack and useful.

--------------
HYOH  EYOF
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Re-tie boots before going down hill to help prevent toe bumping.
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take dedicated long-sleeve top and long-john bottom baselayers for sleeping.  Regardless of how many days I've gone shower-less or how hot, sweaty and dusty the day was, a little clean-up and clean PJ's make a huge difference in how I feel at the end of the day, as well as the next morning.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 21 2013, 8:30 am)
Re-tie boots before going down hill to help prevent toe bumping.

Along these lines, I've found learning a few different lacing patterns to be very helpful. Having doing different styles have saved me with big uphill/downhill walks or when I have lots of flooded beaver swamp to wade through.
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tank up on water before you start your hike

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't hike too fast the first half of the day and the second half will be more enjoyable.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When things aren't going well, take a break, or even better, take a nap.
 Post Number: 9
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bring a bandanna. I know cliche, but I use mine for everything. I tie my hair up with it, I filter water through it, I use it to collect things, I wipe up sweat and spills, I apply pressure to cuts/scrapes, and I even used it to flag someone down or as a trail marker.

Worth it.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 10
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Apr. 21 2013, 6:54 am)
Take dedicated long-sleeve top and long-john bottom baselayers for sleeping.  Regardless of how many days I've gone shower-less or how hot, sweaty and dusty the day was, a little clean-up and clean PJ's make a huge difference in how I feel at the end of the day, as well as the next morning.

I am less inclined to use PJs but the cleanup part is spot on.  You will actually sleep better and your sleeping bag will like it as well.

I have a friend who takes an UL shower kit and washes every night.  He takes extra fuel to assure warm water.  I am thinking of trying that as well.  Currently I do the sponge bath method using a small textile bucket with warm water.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always hike at the pace of the slowest hiker in your party.

And don't hassle him/her about being slow!  Just plan your trip for that slowest hiker, and enjoy the time you have observing wildlife, studying the map contours ahead, studying the topography of the area you are hiking through, or maybe planning the details of that nights dinner in your head, step by step.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, have you tried Leukotape?  I rarely have a problem with blisters, but Leukotape doesn't leave the sticky residue that duct tape does.  I think Leukotape P is supposed to be the best.  Others seem to swear by it.
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I anticipate trouble with a rope or cord getting tangled in storage or in my backpack, I braid the rope. The braid is easy to learn and can be done in very little time. With practice, a 50-foot rope can be braided in just a few minutes and later strung out when needed in just a few seconds. Total time is far less than messing with a tangled rope.

I find the braid much more reliable than coiling the rope — especially for nylon rope of smaller diameter, say from ⅛ to ⅜ inches.

The simple braid may go by various names: Slip-knot Braid, Daisy Chain, Monkey Chain, Monkey Braid, etc.  Each is basically a long chain of slip knots. I learned the method in jump school for field packing a parachute and have used it consistently for decades on most smaller-diameter ropes.

Here's a demonstration:

Monkey Braid, Animated Knots
Coiling Rope, Animated Knots

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rubbing alcohol will remove tree sap from almost anything (tent, fly, stakes, clothing).  

Loc-tite vinyl, fabric, plastic flexible adhesive will bond just about anything.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 15
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 21 2013, 12:06 pm)
If I anticipate trouble with a rope or cord getting tangled in storage or in my backpack, I braid the rope. The braid is easy to learn and can be done in very little time.

Little did you know that you are doing a crochet chain with that "braid".  :) :cool:

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 16
omegaboy13 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well there are all of those little ones I see people do. Wrapping duct tape around the nalgene, wearing "survival bracelets", cutting the extra strap lengths, investing in a dehydrator, vaseline cotton balls, wet wipes(portable showers), etc. etc.

I always have a little piece of steel wool that I rip off of a big piece. Always go slow, it aint a race. Excedrin Migraine on longer trips.

--------------
America is now just an ideal, a whisper from times past.
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Apr. 21 2013, 12:28 pm)
Rubbing alcohol will remove tree sap from almost anything (tent, fly, stakes, clothing).  

So will Everclear......jus sayin
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When in a group. . . regroup at every trail junction.  And anyplace the route might get dubious.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leave your ego at the trailhead. Don't "tough it out". Stop and address any discomfort, now.
Retie that shoe, tape that hotspot, cut off that callous, reposition that packed item, reapply that sunscreen or bug repellent, etc.
Ten miles later, you'll be glad you did...or suffering unnecessarily because you didn't.
 Post Number: 20
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Apr. 21 2013, 4:00 pm)
Leave your ego at the trailhead. Don't "tough it out". Stop and address any discomfort, now.
Retie that shoe, tape that hotspot, cut off that callous, reposition that packed item, reapply that sunscreen or bug repellent, etc.
Ten miles later, you'll be glad you did...or suffering unnecessarily because you didn't.

A few years ago I was hiking in a foreign country with a hodgepodge of people from various nations.  For a couple of days we hiked with a local.  At one point when we took a break I put on some more sunscreen.  The local said yes, that's a good idea.  I laughed and said yes, but you know that, you live here.

She rolled her eyes as if to say "I should know better", pulled up her pants and rolled down her socks to show the nasty sunburn on her legs.

It's little things like that which can make you miserable for days or even longer.
 Post Number: 21
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Apr. 21 2013, 12:47 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 21 2013, 12:06 pm)
If I anticipate trouble with a rope or cord getting tangled in storage or in my backpack, I braid the rope. The braid is easy to learn and can be done in very little time.

Little did you know that you are doing a crochet chain with that "braid".  :) :cool:

Yeah, you're right. I did notice the site I linked called it a "crochet stitch" among other names.
I wouldn't have known. :)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 22
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take your time and take pictures.   Hiking and backpacking should be enjoyable and relaxing.  I have to remind myself of this all the time, my tendency being to cover ground.  "What's the hurry?".  Words to live by.

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 23
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Apr. 21 2013, 1:07 pm)

(TigerFan @ Apr. 21 2013, 6:54 am)

I am less inclined to use PJs but the cleanup part is spot on.  You will actually sleep better and your sleeping bag will like it as well.

I have a friend who takes an UL shower kit and washes every night.  He takes extra fuel to assure warm water.  I am thinking of trying that as well.  Currently I do the sponge bath method using a small textile bucket with warm water.

Rumi

I do this, just makes me sleep good.

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 21 2013, 1:33 pm)
Jer, have you tried Leukotape?  I rarely have a problem with blisters, but Leukotape doesn't leave the sticky residue that duct tape does.  I think Leukotape P is supposed to be the best.  Others seem to swear by it.

Never heard of it.  Where can I find some?

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 21 2013, 5:29 pm)

(reubenstump @ Apr. 21 2013, 1:33 pm)

Never heard of it.  Where can I find some?

Thanks.

I've never found it in brick and mortar stores, but there's always Amazon, which is where I got mine.

I'm pretty sure I first heard of it in these forums.

I wrap a few feet around a little sawed off dowel rod and put it in my FAK.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 21 2013, 6:01 pm)
put it in my FAK.

FAK ?

--------------
 Post Number: 27
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First aid kit?

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 28
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes.
 Post Number: 29
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A small nalgene of homemade wine makes everything seem right at the end of the day.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(1camper @ Apr. 21 2013, 6:19 pm)
First aid kit?

Got  ya.  Thanks.

--------------
48 replies since Apr. 20 2013, 10:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking/hiking tips
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions