2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sigh..anyone else?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest son, Alistaire, who is 14 months old, had an allergic reaction 2 weeks ago, ended up in the ER. Starting allergy testing says he is peanut un-friendly (0.35 is standard, he is in the 30's) and is also allergic to egg whites/lesser allergy to yolks.

As if I didn't already have my special-needs self to cook for  :laugh: Oh well, we'll get there. At least I love sunflower seeds and other nuts.

At least now I know what caused the swelling in his face, and we have Epi-pens. Am really, really grateful the new emergency room opened up 3 miles away from our home last year.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(   Poor Alistaire!

I'm sure that such a good momma will find the best way to take care of him, though.  :)

We're fortunate not to have serious food allergies in the house, although I've had to cut some things out of my own diet recently because my body just doesn't like them anymore.  Who knew?

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grandson had the same type reaction a year ago at 3 yo.  Puffy boxer eyes but no constricted breathing, thankfully.  My son-in-law had the foresight to take him to the fire station, which was very close to his house.  The EMTs worked on him and transported him to the ER.  
He has a slight allergy to peanuts but it was the tree nuts that caused this  attack....pistachios.
 Post Number: 4
solonomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a grandson (Andrew, aka "Drew") who is now 8 and was first discovered to have a severe peanut allergy before his first birthday. His parents were so diligent about teaching him about it that as a toddler whenever I asked him if he wanted a snack, he would immediately say "no nuts for Drew"!!!

All the best to you and your son.

--------------
"When you travel; if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion...you might as well stay home"
                                      James A. Michener
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest had the same thing.  Peanuts, cashews, pistachios, and a few others.

WARNING:  Mangoes are in the cashew family!

Good news is that he eventually grew out of it.
 Post Number: 6
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 24 2013, 1:30 pm)
My youngest had the same thing.  Peanuts, cashews, pistachios, and a few others.

That is good news.  How does one know?  Do you continue to test and compare results?  OR do you just try very small doses to see if there is a reaction?

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems every 4th kid in the schools here has a nut allergy to some degree.

Fortunately a nut-free policy is standard for the whole school system, now.

No worries.  He'll be fine. :)

Finding out the hard way bites.  Poor kid.
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scary.  Good thing he has such a food-savy mom.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know how or why, but...

Starting just a few months ago, I would have hives breaking out everywhere -- usually starting around 8 or 9pm -- and I will have hundreds of angry, red lumps all over me -- burning and itching like crazy!  And sometimes, my lips would get swollen and feel numb -- like in a dentist office!  Occasionally, my eyes would swell too.  I pop Prednisone and Hydroxyzine -- and all would be well after a few hours...

The hives would come back again after a day or two.  And I would pop the pills again.  This went on for months.... until one day, about a month ago, the hives didn't come back anymore!  I haven't changed my diet at all -- and thankfully, I haven't had to take any more pills either.

Weird.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest son had severe food allergies which went away by age 12 or so.  His allergies to eggs were so severe he could not eat cake.  We had to do several trips to the ER as well.  And he was allergic to dog licks, which was also VERY weird!  He out grew that as well.

Be sure to ask the doctor about immunizations as many are manufactured using eggs.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 11
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah...thankfully he hasn't reacted to the immunizations so far. Ford and Walker can eat pretty much anything it seems. At least Baby is young enough I can control what he eats till I get more answers.

Probably pay back for every time I have rolled my eyes at peanut allergies I am sure :p :p

--------------
 Post Number: 12
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Apr. 24 2013, 3:45 pm)
Probably pay back for every time I have rolled my eyes at peanut allergies I am sure :p :p

Yeah, my pay back for that one is out in there in the dharma some where.  But don't lose the skepticism entirely because there are many unfounded and even dangerous "cures" out there for a price.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 13
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blue_sage @ Apr. 24 2013, 6:52 pm)

(sarbar @ Apr. 24 2013, 3:45 pm)

Yeah, my pay back for that one is out in there in the dharma some where.  But don't lose the skepticism entirely because there are many unfounded and even dangerous "cures" out there for a price.

Totally!!

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food allergies seem to be a norm anymore. Good luck with the nuts.

My granddaughter has a dairy allergy. Doctors are hopeful she'll grow out of it. She's now 18 months and they are very slowly introducing dairy into her diet.

Last year I developed hives for the first time. The only thing the doctors could come up with is that it was stress induced. Now when I have an episode I've got a cream to use for the itching. I'm also taking yoga and hoping that'll help somewhat.
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

Giving up peanut butter would be quite a sacrifice.
 Post Number: 16
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Allergies do change but as old ones go away, new ones can develop. My mom used to pick chokecherries and make syrup and jam until one day, one bite of pancake with syrup made her eyes and throat swell shut. Then even the pollen from the flowering chokecherry would cause the same reaction. I myself ate bananas the morning before my c-section as I had most mornings of my life. 24 hours later after the baby was here, I ate another and my tongue and throat went itchy/numb like a novacaine shot. Ever since I react that way but not to cooked bananas in banana bread or bananas foster type things. The Dr says it is a latex allergy.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Latex, or latent?  I think the child you are referring to was a result of the latex allergy. :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 24 2013, 9:20 pm)
Latex, or latent?  I think the child you are referring to was a result of the latex allergy. :)  

Lol......

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Apr. 24 2013, 12:00 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 24 2013, 1:30 pm)

That is good news.  How does one know?  Do you continue to test and compare results?  OR do you just try very small doses to see if there is a reaction?

He did a challenge test at the hospital.  They give increasingly larger doses of peanut butter over time and watch for a reaction.

He passed the test with flying colors, but he still doesn't like peanut butter.  I'm guessing he associates the taste with bad memories.
 Post Number: 20
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 24 2013, 10:26 pm)
:(

Giving up peanut butter would be quite a sacrifice.

I know, right?

I still eat PB sandwiches on a  regular basis.  Yum!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 21
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am OK with going peanut free - since there are so many yummy seeds and nuts out there - but it will make the little we eat out even harder. Peanut oil is cheap and used in many places for frying. Oh well. Shouldn't eat it anyways :p

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of times, peanut oil will not trigger a reaction....only things with peanunt solids, but check with our dr first.
 Post Number: 23
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So...we went through round 2 last night with Alistaire. It appears he is severely allergic to cashews (can I cry? I love cashews so much). We were eating dinner and he he went into it: he got really red, swelling up, hives on hives. His eyes were swelling shut, the hives on his hands looked like cottage cheese. Yikes. So with mega super shaky hands we did the drill and got him to the ER. Gah. I felt so horrid holding him down and giving him the shot.

This was him in the ER about 45 minutes after it started, he had antihistamines, an Epi-Pen and steroid shots, he looked much better than he did30 minutes before!

And an hour after that he looked even better - and was running around:

He sees an allergist in 2 weeks finally for extensive testing. I am hoping it sheds more light.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bless his pea pickin heart.

I'm sure you and Dad didn't look much better.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 25
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest would go into anaphylactic shock.  He would turn blue and would not even say anything.  ER we would go.  Eggs, nuts, etc.  It's all part of life with kids.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sarbar,

You saw my earlier post about mangoes being a member of the cashew family, right?
 Post Number: 27
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 07 2013, 10:18 am)
Sarbar,

You saw my earlier post about mangoes being a member of the cashew family, right?

She'll remember my ex BF, Gabe. He was allergic to pistachios and cashews.  Apparently those are related somehow too.

Be careful. What a PITA.  Glad there are no allergies on our house.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 28
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

he looked much better than he did30 minutes before!

Kids are so freaking resilient.  My son was running around with strep throat for the better part of  year (we think) and was completely asymptomatic aside for an occasional unexplained fever or tummy ache.  I caught the strep from him and was fairly sure I was going to die (I pulled through).  We didn't even realize he had it until we investigated how I may have gotten it.

Kids!

Good luck with the allergies.  My son is in a peanut free daycare (not strep free) and we use sunflower butter for his sandwiches.  I am sure you are aware of it.  He seems to like it.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 29
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Jun. 07 2013, 10:52 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 07 2013, 10:18 am)
Sarbar,

She'll remember my ex BF, Gabe. He was allergic to pistachios and cashews.  Apparently those are related somehow too.

Be careful. What a PITA.  Glad there are no allergies on our house.

Yeah, they are. Scary, eh? They are so intertwined. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up allergic to.

I still swear this is karma paying me back for every time I snickered about food allergies :p

His doctor said today "no eggs, nuts, seeds, fish or shellfish till he is seen". Good thing he loves fruit and veggies  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ Jun. 07 2013, 11:54 am)
we use sunflower butter for his sandwiches.  I am sure you are aware of it.

We buy it by the 6 pack now from Amazon!  :) I love it!

--------------
32 replies since Apr. 24 2013, 12:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sigh..anyone else?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions