2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Oh no! Eggs can lead to heart disease by affecting, the bacteria in your gut.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs, Too, May Provoke Bacteria to Raise Heart Risk
By GINA KOLATA
Published: April 24, 2013

In the case of eggs, the chain of events starts when the body digests lecithin, breaking it into its constituent parts, including the chemical choline. Intestinal bacteria metabolize choline and release a substance that the liver converts to a chemical known as TMAO, for trimethylamine N-oxide. High levels of TMAO in the blood are linked to increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, enough harassment of eggs.  First, it was they increase your cholesterol, which increased your chances of a heart attack.  Once that risk was reduced, they had to come up with something else.  Now it is this.  The egg provokes gut bacteria into creating a substance which increases your chances of a heart attack.

If we weren't supposed to eat eggs, they wouldn't appear in the company of bacon.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 25 2013, 7:22 am)
OK, enough harassment of eggs.  First, it was they increase your cholesterol, which increased your chances of a heart attack.  Once that risk was reduced, they had to come up with something else.  Now it is this.  The egg provokes gut bacteria into creating a substance which increases your chances of a heart attack.

If we weren't supposed to eat eggs, they wouldn't appear in the company of bacon.  

I love eggs. But, all things in moderation.

I recently changed my breakfast habit. I was getting a scrambled egg and vegetable (with a slice of bacon chopped up) sandwhich for breakfast 4 mornings a week. Then more eggs on the weekend. Now, I have a banana and roasted almonds for weekday breakfasts and still do the eggs on the weekend.

One of the things we have can control in our lives is what we eat. Cutting out a lot of eggs and reducing the amount of red meat I eat hasn't affected my lifestyle one iota.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's why it's important to finish breakfast with a shot of hard liquor, to stun or kill those offending bacteria (maybe in the OJ for you namby-pamby's).  Think of it as a health boost.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At home every morning I put 1/4 cup of eggbeaters into a micowave bowl, add a hand full of chopped mushrooms, a hand full of baby spinach, a little part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese and a slice of Canadian bacon. 3 minutes in the zapper, then placed on a whole wheat flat bread.   If it kills me so be it cause it taste oh so good.
 Post Number: 6
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't intend for it to sound like you were the one harassing eggs, but the scientists who release all of these findings.  I know you would not be so mean spirited.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 25 2013, 7:57 am)
I didn't intend for it to sound like you were the one harassing eggs, but the scientists who release all of these findings.  I know you would not be so mean spirited.  

No worry. I didn't take it that way.

I used your post to preach. I hope no one sees it as my telling them what to do. I'm just trying to get information out. What someone does with it is up to them.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard that too.  Very interesting.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just had lunch.  It was a banana, an orange, about 20 almonds, a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, and a 1/2 cup of pomegranate juice.  90 seconds in the vitamix with 6 ice cubes to keep it cool.

Mid afternoon snack will be 2 tomatoes, 2 carrots, some broccoli, a little green pepper, and bunch of spring mix.  5 minute in the vitamix makes a nice warm soup.

For dinner this week I'm off my normal fare of chicken, green beans, and sweet potato because my future son-in-law dropped off several pounds of venison steaks, chops, and ground as a thank you for taking sitting their dog last weekend.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Apr. 25 2013, 1:00 pm)
I just had lunch.  It was a banana, an orange, about 20 almonds ...

Almonds contain cyanide.  I hope your affairs are in order.
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As my Doctor tells me; name any form of human activity, food, drink, etc, I can find 10 doctors who will say it's bad for you.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Apr. 25 2013, 2:40 pm)
As my Doctor tells me; name any form of human activity, food, drink, etc, I can find 10 doctors who will say it's bad for you.

The latest issue of AARP magazine states that you should not eat "oily fish, spinach, mushrooms, beans" if you have arthritis because those foods will increase inflammation.

A subsequent article in the same issue states you should eat oily fish, spinach, mushrooms, beans if you want to live longer because those items are "super foods."

I guess the conclusion is that if you have arthritis (is there anyone over 60 who doesn't?) the best you can hope for is an early death.
 Post Number: 13
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only food stuffs that I've found that aggravate my arthritis are soybeans, in any form.
 Post Number: 14
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food hasn't bothered my arthritis, only rain.
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't tried to analyze what bothers my arthritis.  I'm pretending that it's all in my head.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am 61 and have no arthritis so far.  Just had both knees x-rayed as part of my search for diagnosis for the problems I have been having going downhill, and neither of them show any signs of deterioration.  At least not in the joints or gaps between them.  

--------------

Post Number: 17
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 27 2013, 8:46 am)
I am 61 and have no arthritis so far.  Just had both knees x-rayed as part of my search for diagnosis for the problems I have been having going downhill, and neither of them show any signs of deterioration.  At least not in the joints or gaps between them.  

Have you tried some general PT type exercises to support the joint(s) by strengthen all the surrounding muscles?

When I started mountainbiking regularly all my hiking knee problems went away!

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 18
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This past week, I saw a PT and she gave me 8 different exercises to start doing.  I will see how they do.  They certainly make me tired by the end of the reps.  

--------------

Post Number: 19
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Apr. 25 2013, 2:40 pm)

I agree with that. I just got done reading up on eggs being a super food lol.

I have a few friends into strength training and competing and they eat 6 eggs for breakfast and 6 for lunch. None of them with heart troubles, so if they can get away with a dozen a day, my 3 a day shouldnt add up to much! Well not everyday I might average out to 3 every other day.

Like Big_Load pointed out there are lots of potentially harmful things in many healthful foods. Choline, is in pretty much any animal based food and also many veggies. And they are making a few 'leaps' between the eggs and the heart disease, and we also don't know much about the test subjects and the rest of their diet and current state of health. Maybe these TMAO levels are more dangerous only in the presence of other chemicals they react with? Who knows.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
18 replies since Apr. 25 2013, 10:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Oh no! Eggs can lead to heart disease by affecting
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions