2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fox on the run...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 9:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well.... no, not running.

For the 2nd day, a large red fox came strolling out of the woods into the horse pasture to do some mousing (voling?). Caught a few and then just sat on his butt watching the horses for about 15 minutes. This wasn't just a few yards from cover but more like 100 yards out in the open in bright sunlight. He wasn't scared or jumpy in any way and finally took his own sweet time wandering back across the field into the brush.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Foxes are one of my favorite animals. They seem to be making a bit of comeback around the outskirts of town here.  Saw a couple of them just the other day while on a walk in a city park on the edge of town. Hmm, wonder if it has anything to do with a recent city ordinance allowing people to raise chickens within city limits.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
unclehubert Search for posts by this member.
ambivalence!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Hey!

Ego similis ambulo dudus!
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always preferred the cover version by Girlschool.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, foxes are one of my favorite animals, too. I've seen several the past year but they were about always on the run. They are a treat to see.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last fox I saw was a little over a month ago, up at around 8,000' on a relatively warm late March day. It was digging in the snow and had something circular and white in its mouth, as if fixing to hide the object. We couldn't tell if it was an egg or some kind of ball-toy.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 7
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, they're pretty cool.  We have some in our woods, but I haven't seen them in two or three years.  About 4 years ago they used to make a daily morning stroll from one place to another via the strawberry patch.  The kits would sometimes stop and play for a while.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He showed up again just before dark when I was out with the horses. Guess I might want to let the 12yo girl next door know she needs to make sure her pet rabbit hutch is secure. There are coyotes around but they're too big to get in. A fox might.

--------------

Post Number: 9
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the treats on Isle Royale was getting to see a lot of foxes.

With there being no racoons they seemed to have taken over the role of camp scavenger. There always seemed to one or two hanging around camp.

I'm just outside the city (Chicago) and we have foxes here in the burbs. A few years back I must have had one that was living nearby as I saw it frequently. I even caught on camera as it grabbed a hare down the street from me.

I've posted these photo's before, albeit several years ago.
Neighborhood fox

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Windigo regular

--------------
 Post Number: 11
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a few of shots of a fox I watched and photographed for over an hour out in the Lamar Valley near the Lamar River in Yellowstone.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful Kevin!

--------------
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, great action shot.  Beautiful animal.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We see them pretty regularly here.  They're fun to watch for sure.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 16
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful pics, thanks.
I see quite a few fox in my area and always enjoy watching them.
A couple of years ago we had a family of 4 spend the winter in the woods behind my house. It was very interesting watching them, even finding a deer thigh/leg in the backyard. Must have been scavenged by the foxes and left in the area of their den. It was gone several hours later.

In the spring one of the kits was playing in my back yard. Minding its' own business enjoying the day. My dumb cat, named "fox bait" from this moment on, sees the kit and goes after it. I'm watching thinking uh oh this will be interesting. The kit is already nearly twice the size of my cat but it lets out a scream that was really scary...screamed like a little kid might, very high pitched...and starts running with my cat in hot pursuit. Maybe 100 feet across the yard the kit must have finally realized it was a fox being chased by a really stupid cat. It stopped dead in its' tracks, turns, confronts my cat and goes right after it. My cat makes a quick U turn and starts tearing across the yard with the kit in hot pursuit until it got its' foxiness back, stopped chasing my cat and sauntered away head held high.

My dumb ass cat kept running for a bit then bee lined for the house. She didn't go out for several days hehehe. I named her foxbait from then on...

The family of foxes left soon after and when I asked about it was told they will leave when there is no food left and move on to a new area. Too bad, it was fun to watch them.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 17
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(unclehubert @ Apr. 26 2013, 10:50 pm)

This was my thought when I saw the title. I'm not sure if I'm even old enough to remember this song.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure if I'm even old enough to remember this song.

That's not only on my Ipod, it's in my frequently used playlists. Which is why I used as topic title.

So we got the fox and when I get home tonight, there are 3 pronghorns out in the hayfield. First time I've seen them out here.

--------------

Post Number: 19
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool...!!!  I use to see fox a lot when I was up on the Rocky Front near, Augusta, MT.  Beautiful animals...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
18 replies since Apr. 26 2013, 9:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fox on the run...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions