2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Teddy Bears Kill more People than "Real" Bears, Griz and Black combined< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better give your toddler a gun !!!

"You might be surprised to find out that in everyday life, commonplace items or activities are much more likely to be dangerous or even fatal than the alarming accidents we hear about on the news each night. Unfortunately, people are much more likely to use caution when they are in a situation they perceive as being dangerous than they are when doing normal activities.

Parents should be especially aware of the teddy bear. Which is more dangerous – a teddy bear or a real bear?

In the last eighty nine years, eighty two Americans have been killed in bear attacks. Teddy bears.... account for twenty two deaths each year, and nearly one hundred and fifty thousand injuries.

Most of these deaths and injuries happen to children. The most common teddy bear hazard is the small parts that can fall off and become choking hazards, like their glass eyes. Teddy bears are also tripping hazards. Tripping and falling can cause no harm at all or can result in death, if the child trips and falls down a flight of stairs or hits his or her head on the sharp corner of a coffee table.

So while you should use caution while hiking in the woods with your children, it is even more important to make sure that their toys are age-appropriate, that they are picked up and put away after use, and that they don’t have any small parts that can break off. "

SOURCE

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OMG run for your life there is a huge group of bears in aisle 5 at Toys R Us. Plus what are we thinking of when we go to Build a Bear store we are creating a death trap.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder when Backpacker will print their next Teddy Bear safety article.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About the single thing we humans seem to be worst at is assessing risk.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Upon further reflection, there are an awful lot of Teddy Bears out there, probably many times more than real ones.  I wonder if they are statistically more dangerous per capita.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 28 2013, 7:40 pm)
Upon further reflection, there are an awful lot of Teddy Bears out there, probably many times more than real ones.  I wonder if they are statistically more dangerous per capita.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Think hunting season or culling of the population. High time, isn't it?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 28 2013, 11:31 pm)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Think hunting season or culling of the population. High time, isn't it?

I've got my Uzi. Where to? The Lusk, WY Toys R' Us?

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 8
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe Toys R Us needs to start selling bear spray

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Especially considering that Teddy Bears probably don't kill anything but people.
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're being targeted.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My kids must be total bad asses, because they've taken on teddy bears literally thousands of times (and stuffed tigers, bunnies, puppies, etc), and come away unscathed.  Yeah, I'm bragging.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 12
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 28 2013, 9:27 pm)
We're being targeted.

Not us, it's our children they are after.

Rumi~the bearanoid~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 28 2013, 10:23 pm)

Especially considering that Teddy Bears probably don't kill anything but people.

You're scaring me.  :O

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes in our house we have hundreds of teddy bears.  I'm still more scared of the real thing.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 16
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 28 2013, 9:00 pm)
Better give your toddler a gun !!!

You could never stop a teddy bear with a gun. Bear spray will do the trick.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not only to they kill people, but you should never leave one alone with your girlfriend

Post Number: 18
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a GF that might not be able to be trusted, unless you don't mind sharing.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 19
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lawyer ...David A. Wolf >>>"Are Teddy Bears More Likely to Cause Child Injury Than Grizzly Bears?"

What the lawyer is actually referring to more verbosely is:

Because extremely few children ever come into physical contact with bears, while myriad numbers of children come into regular contact with teddy bears, that even though children that might come into contact with wild bears would show a very high injury and mortality rate, there are so few that do, that there are more total number of injuries with small children coming into contact with teddy bears.  

What's actually going on, is the lawyer in order to get the attention of potential litigant clients, manipulated the statement creating a false impression of a balance between teddy bears and grizzly bears after setting up the reader with a conclusion.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 20
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you see what Ted did to Marky Mark in Ted? Those things are immoral and ruthless.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my kids had a video game called "Naughty Bear"  There are plenty of youtube videos if you want to check it out.
 Post Number: 22
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Apr. 29 2013, 2:50 pm)
lawyer ...David A. Wolf >>>"Are Teddy Bears More Likely to Cause Child Injury Than Grizzly Bears?"

What the lawyer is actually referring to more verbosely is:

Because extremely few children ever come into physical contact with bears, while myriad numbers of children come into regular contact with teddy bears, that even though children that might come into contact with wild bears would show a very high injury and mortality rate, there are so few that do, that there are more total number of injuries with small children coming into contact with teddy bears.  

What's actually going on, is the lawyer in order to get the attention of potential litigant clients, manipulated the statement creating a false impression of a balance between teddy bears and grizzly bears after setting up the reader with a conclusion.

Do you think?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of gun provides the best protection from teddy bears?
 Post Number: 24
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 30 2013, 9:08 am)
What kind of gun provides the best protection from teddy bears?

Nerf

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 25
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Silly String would be adequate protection...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 26
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A charging teddy would be on you before you had time to dig that nerf gun out of the toy box. Silly string is more effective and more humane at deterring teddy attacks.

I think the real problem with teddy bears stems from tea parties. Once the teddy gets habituated to imaginary tea and cake, it sees humans as a way to acquire more imaginary food, hence the more frequent attacks.

--------------
I feel a storm all wet and warm
not 10 miles away
approaching my Mexican home.
 Post Number: 27
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(schlanky @ Apr. 30 2013, 10:33 am)
A charging teddy would be on you before you had time to dig that nerf gun out of the toy box. Silly string is more effective and more humane at deterring teddy attacks.

I think the real problem with teddy bears stems from tea parties. Once the teddy gets habituated to imaginary tea and cake, it sees humans as a way to acquire more imaginary food, hence the more frequent attacks.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a good while.   :D

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
26 replies since Apr. 28 2013, 9:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Teddy Bears Kill more People than "Real" Bears
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions