2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: One of the top ten things NOT to do: Piss Off your, cherpa on the way to Mt. Everest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

29 April 2013 Last updated at 06:32 ET
Everest: Climbers Steck and Moro in fight with Sherpas

When they returned to their tents, Mr Moro said a large mob of guides had grouped together to attack him, Mr Steck and a third climber in their expedition, Briton Jonathan Griffith.

"[The guides] became instantly aggressive and not only punched and kicked the climbers, but threw many rocks as well," said Mr Moro.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An interesting read on the subject.

http://www.highcrimesbook.com/

That kind of stuff doesn't happen with the large, experienced guide services.
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds like these two guys weren't using Sherpa guides on their climb, and were actually trying to avoid them altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2whtR5yEZAc
 Post Number: 4
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much more detail.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Such incidents illustrate why I prefer to avoid crowds and handle my own trips.
 Post Number: 6
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of hard to determine who's at fault.

The climbers and photographer are doing the ascent without sherpas and oxygen. When they got to where the sherpas were working on a line, they went around then up then crossed back to the main route. It appears they may have knocked some ice onto the sherpas. But, the climber says there wasn't any ice and it was all snow.

The sherpas descended then when the climbers got back down there were accosted by the sherpas with kicks and rocks.

It could be that the sherpas weren't happy with climbers not using their services. Or, it could be that the climbers were acting arrogant and it caused some consternation.  The Nepal tourism authority seems bent on keeping the climbers happy.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:38 pm)

I agree.

In any case, too many people and too much money kill the fun.
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bet the video would be hilarious. PUNCH, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, PUNCH, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, PUNCH...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More of the story ...

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:27 pm)

The possible future requirements that mentions will raise a ruckus.

The incident was also featured on Nightline last night, but I pretty much tuned it out.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And another little tidbit ...

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Apr. 30 2013, 3:09 pm)

Interesting account by someone not directly involved but witnessed some of the action. Also interesting that the woman, Melissa who, in all practicalities, saved the lives of the climbers who were being attacked by standing between them and the piss-offed sherpas. She rebuffed them a couple times. I guess the sherpas won't touch a woman.

"Currently, Rory and I are easing the tension listening to the Grateful Dead." Grateful Dead on the slopes of Mt. Everest. That's interesting, too.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 29 2013, 1:00 pm)
Such incidents illustrate why I prefer to avoid crowds and handle my own trips.

likewise

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:09 pm)

If true, it shows how wrong messing with somebody's meal ticket can go.  If it's accurate, it also implies they didn't realize that's how their actions would be interpreted, which seems hard to believe at their level of experience.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 30 2013, 7:16 pm)

(RumiDude @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:09 pm)

If true, it shows how wrong messing with somebody's meal ticket can go.  If it's accurate, it also implies they didn't realize that's how their actions would be interpreted, which seems hard to believe at their level of experience.

The interesting thing to me is how experienced these climbers are in regard to dealing with Sherpa climbers and guides.  In the past they were probably involved with treks which used climbing and porter Sherpas.  But this particular trek they did not have Sherpa support and were independent.  They have shown every indication in the past of being quite respectful towards Sherpas.  Ueli Steck even allowed another Sherpa climber to climb on his permit after being removed from another permit climb.  This allowed the Sherpa climber to attempt summiting Everest without supplemental oxygen and as a climbing equal. And Simone Moro pilots a helicopter for free to evacuate injured/sick Sherpas.  

My guess is that there are simmering resentments among some of the Sherpa.  This was too small of an issue in itself to have elicited this extreme response.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ May 01 2013, 12:05 am)
My guess is that there are simmering resentments among some of the Sherpa.  This was too small of an issue in itself to have elicited this extreme response.

That's the only plausible explanation.  What's harder to understand is why people didn't sense the tension building.
 Post Number: 17
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking "nobody sensed the tension building" has to do with no one wanting to deal with it, of the bad news being "not in the script."

All these commercial trips, everyone wanting to claim the summit, or "success" has a way of lending attaboys to folks voicing thoughts that lead to "success", demerits to "negative" thoughts.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ May 01 2013, 8:00 pm)
I'm thinking "nobody sensed the tension building" has to do with no one wanting to deal with it, of the bad news being "not in the script."

Probably so.  Not dealing with things rarely leads anywhere good.
 Post Number: 19
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An excellent National Geographic article that goes a little deeper about the relationship between the sherpas and the climbers. In the comments section, it seems some of the participants are or know current sherpas.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 29 2013, 4:38 pm)

I agree as well.  It's a one-sided story -- and in this case, it's one lousy sentence explaining the background (i.e. stepping over ropes and breaking mountain etiquette) -- and then multiple paragraphs describing the 'frightful ordeal'.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
Random Walker Search for posts by this member.
Born under a wandering star

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fact that a mountaineering community (and others) describe professional porters, assistant climbers, and guides by their ethnicity is sad, deeply disrespectful and ignorant.

--------------
"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
learning or any other serious thing"
                                                           -Aldo Leopold-
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Random Walker @ May 04 2013, 2:02 pm)
The fact that a mountaineering community (and others) describe professional porters, assistant climbers, and guides by their ethnicity is sad, deeply disrespectful and ignorant.

Hang on, PC patrol.  I guess you missed all the quotes where sherpas refer to themselves as....sherpas.  I suppose they are ignorant, too?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Racism is a component of this conflict, but not in the way that you might think. I found this to fill in a lot of background info on the incident. The problems on Everest have been building for decades. Violence on Everest-The Daily Beast

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 04 2013, 2:05 pm)
Racism is a component of this conflict, but not in the way that you might think. I found this to fill in a lot of background info on the incident. The problems on Everest have been building for decades. Violence on Everest-The Daily Beast

My read is that the western climbers in question got in trouble because they refused to pay for local guides -- and not because they paid the 'wrong' ethnic guides.

Interestingly, the base camp on the Chinese/Tibetan side is also run by Tibetans, not Han or other ethnic Chinese.

Not sure if any stretch of any of our national parks or historic parks require guides -- but if so -- imagine if a bunch of foreign visitors insist on strutting out on their own -- refusing to pay...  they probably won't get stoned, but arrested instead.  Either way, not a good outcome for intentionally refusing to follow local laws or customs.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 25
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that you are right Ben, they were doing the climb without local support, had done so in the past, and were developing a business plan that would  do more of the same. The Italian was both impatient and rude, the Sherpas had a sense of entitlement and felt that their livelihood was threatened. These are common enough conflicts between different cultures.

Over the years I have had a lot of interaction with guides. I have done a little guiding myself. Competition for turf is common, and ego is rampant. At high altitude, feelings swing wildly and rational thinking fails. I know and have worked with some Tibetans (not in a guiding context) that I think very highly of, in fact have never met one that I didn't like, but what I found so interesting about the article that I read, is that competition on the mountain may be eroding values that I think are Tibet's most important contribution to world culture. The world would be a better place if it were a little more Buddhist.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 04 2013, 2:45 pm)
The world would be a better place if it were a little more Buddhist.

Yes.  But the world would also be a better place if folks will just "follow" the spirit of most any of the world's popular religions!  Or follow the secular teachings bestowed on us in Kindergarten -- be nice to others, share our toys, and return things where we found them...

There is definitely a western tendency toward idealizing eastern religions and philosophies.  Or perhaps it is simply the nature of "familiarity breeding contempt"?  

One thing... many Asians hold various degrees of contempt toward Buddhist abbots and monks -- along with almost romanticized views of Christianity!  Probably for similar reasons.

Bottom line:  Human failings are due to humans themselves. Blaming failure on this or that philosophy or religion is oftentimes just a cop out.  Take someone who trends toward the extreme.  Take a religious zealot.  Take away his religion and he will likely obsess over something else!  My two cents.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The articles on this just keep coming.  This one from Outside Magazine, interview of Ueli Steck:
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....?page=5

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
26 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 10:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply One of the top ten things NOT to do: Piss Off your
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions