2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: You can't make the crap up< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some folks are just destined to never get ahead in life.  This is a prime example of why carnys exist.  Losing $300 is bad, even when trying to win a good prize, but going home and getting $2300 more to try to win your money back?  The worst may be that this is the guy's "life savings".

http://www.ksdk.com/news....adlocks

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"A fool and his money will soon part."

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The game was for winning a prize so he'd never win his money back, just, in the end, get a game console that maybe sells for $200?

Wow.
 Post Number: 4
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That banana is pretty cool though...so at least he's got that going for him.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my favorite parts of going to the carnival is trying to figure out what makes each game more difficult than it might seem.   I don't even have to spend my own money to do it; I can just watch the paying victims.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Next thing they'll be saying wrestling is fake.
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've long wondered about gambling addiction or even people's inclination to buy a lottery ticket now and then. I'd think that most folks who look at the odds can see that they are against them winning.

I don't need a big banana. It's not worth the risk. And I don't crave a hundred million dollars. That would just give me security nightmares. But I can easily imagine twenty million.

Dreams are not often rational. Hope is not often derived by logic. Yet perhaps both are evolutionary advantages that keep us going and working for our dreams and hopes.

We know the odds of winning the lottery are very small for each of us. But if spending a few dollars keeps the dream alive, why not buy a lottery ticket? I can see that line of reasoning. And I think many people have a feeling of destiny greater than their current circumstances. That destiny seems to be the stuff of hope and dreams. And we are often willing to put it above simple odds.

So in moderation, gambling and buying a lottery ticket now and then are entertainment. They facilitate our dreams, hopes, feeling of destiny. Maybe it's even a mild addiction, a habit-forming pastime. But obviously, some people become so compulsive that they practically destroy their dreams in the process of wanting them so badly.

Gambling life savings for a big banana sounds downright pathological.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

10,000 years ago, Darwinism would have stepped in and he and his linage would have been snuffed out. Guess it takes all kinds in this epoch of 2013.

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 9
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:19 pm)
I don't need a big banana. It's not worth the risk.

Quote of the day!  Haha!

Actually, I'm surprised the guy had $2300 saved up, that's impressive, all things considered.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 10
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Henry Gribbohm claims he was conned at a carnival game.' REALLLY, at a carnival?
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He obviously has a problem that needs to be addressed.  Surely someone at that TV station recognized that. Instead of using him to sell advertising they should have tried to get him some counseling.
 Post Number: 12
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Apr. 30 2013, 6:19 pm)
I've long wondered about gambling addiction or even people's inclination to buy a lottery ticket now and then. I'd think that most folks who look at the odds can see that they are against them winning.

I don't need a big banana. It's not worth the risk. And I don't crave a hundred million dollars. That would just give me security nightmares. But I can easily imagine twenty million.

Dreams are not often rational. Hope is not often derived by logic. Yet perhaps both are evolutionary advantages that keep us going and working for our dreams and hopes.

We know the odds of winning the lottery are very small for each of us. But if spending a few dollars keeps the dream alive, why not buy a lottery ticket? I can see that line of reasoning. And I think many people have a feeling of destiny greater than their current circumstances. That destiny seems to be the stuff of hope and dreams. And we are often willing to put it above simple odds.

So in moderation, gambling and buying a lottery ticket now and then are entertainment. They facilitate our dreams, hopes, feeling of destiny. Maybe it's even a mild addiction, a habit-forming pastime. But obviously, some people become so compulsive that they practically destroy their dreams in the process of wanting them so badly.

Gambling life savings for a big banana sounds downright pathological.

I'm not above buying a lottery ticket now and then, but I also don't do so expecting to win.  I expect that I'll never see my dollar again.  If I didn't have the dollar to spend, I wouldn't buy the ticket.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 13
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I know what I can do with the lump sum cash payout that my company is offering, blow it at the carny!  :laugh:
 Post Number: 14
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

carnival tricks :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnK1oQh0r1E
 Post Number: 15
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at the guy's tats. He spent way more than his "life savings" on those yet probably considers it money well spent. Proof he's an idiot anyway.

I'm not above buying a lottery ticket now and then, but I also don't do so expecting to win. I expect that I'll never see my dollar again.  If I didn't have the dollar to spend, I wouldn't buy the ticket.

I once did that in a quick stop in MO with $1 in change from a gas purchase. Hit $250. Nice surprise.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 16
harveybirdman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hurry up, only one left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Stuffed....+banana

Post Number: 17
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 2 bucks a pop, I learned this lesson at age 16 when I lost $20 on vacation at a carnival.  The carnie was am azz too.  Never gambled again in my life.
16 replies since Apr. 30 2013, 1:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply You can't make the crap up
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions