2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Your shopping experience< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ilhan89bln Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi guys!

My name is Ilhan and I am new to this forum. I have started out with hiking a few months ago and I love it. Growing up in the city I never knew how beautiful the countryside actually is!

But I had a few suboptimal experiences shopping for gear. I have a few ideas how to improve that situation, but I am not sure if people share the same problems.

That's why I would like to ask for your help. Don't worry, I am not selling anything, I'd just need your 20 minutes to talk to you about your shopping experiences.

I'd appreciate any help! I prefer skype interviews but if you don't have enough time we can also do everything by email.
If interested please reply to this thread or even better send me a PM.

Thanks a lot for reading this and have a great day,
Ilhan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok I sent you my email and Skype password.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Apr. 30 2013, 11:20 am)

+1

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm also sending you my birth certificate number.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:27 pm)

(Marmotstew @ Apr. 30 2013, 11:20 am)

+1

No it's +2
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did I say something wrong? Did I break any rules?
What is the problem here?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't let them get you down. They all come here trying to spread their rules and regulations. Nazis. It's all part of the MIC
 Post Number: 8
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang forum software. You didn't get my info?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about you send me your gear list and a check for $20,000.  I will purchase all your gear and send you a personal check for what's left over.
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I spent 20 minutes telling you about my shopping experience, would I turn into a teenaged girl?  

Seriously, I do not spend that long shopping for most items.  I do my research, try things on, and buy.  It takes about 10 minutes once in the store.  Several of my most recent purchases have been over the net, so there wasn't any driving to the store involved.  I have been backpacking for so long, perhaps I have forgotten what it is to be faced with so many poor choices.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you find you cannot buy happiness you're shopping in the wrong stores.

On that note I'd suggest you visit small backpacker shops (or a nearby REI) to discuss your specific needs with some one who knows what the stuff is for.

But in any case read through this linked backpacker.com thread where gear is explained in detail.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1926103
 Post Number: 12
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MarmotStew, you sound cool, can I get your skype info too?

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 13
TrollBuster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ilhan89bln @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:18 pm)
Hi guys!

My name is Ilhan and I am new to this forum.

I would like to ask for your help. Don't worry, I am not selling anything, I'd just need your 20 minutes to talk to you about your shopping experiences.

What's a skype, I thought I knew all of the breeds of carrier birds.

--------------
Who Ya Going to Call  ?
 Post Number: 14
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrollBuster @ Apr. 30 2013, 8:24 pm)

Hi guys!

My name is Ilhan and I am new to this forum.

I would like to ask for your help. Don't worry, I am not selling anything, I'd just need your 20 minutes to talk to you about your shopping experiences.

What's a skype, I thought I knew all of the breeds of carrier birds.

The Nature Boy, Our True Moderator, has come to the rescue!

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 15
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You got it wrong... You send your social security number and a copy of your birth certificate.  Along with a signed blank check.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 16
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ilhan89bln @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:36 pm)

Where are you going with all this? You're asking a lot considering you aren't revealing why. Because you "have some ideas"? Don't we all. So why the need for a big video discussion?

Caution flags go up when a brand new poster makes a high-commitment request without clear explanation. Three strikes you're out.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 01 2013, 8:36 am)

(ilhan89bln @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:36 pm)

Where are you going with all this? You're asking a lot considering you aren't revealing why. Because you "have some ideas"? Don't we all. So why the need for a big video discussion?

Caution flags go up when a brand new poster makes a high-commitment request without clear explanation. Three strikes you're out.

Thanks JRinGeorgia for your explanation. I didn't know that.

I am from Germany and I tried to do some online shopping for backpacking gear (remember: I am new to this) but didn't like the shops and the online stores.
I did some research on the situation in the US and I also didn't like the online stores.
So I had the idea of opening my own online store and doing a few things differently. However, I was wondering if that is a problem worth solving and that's why I asked to talk to a few people.
I didn't want to post this at first because I was afraid people would make fun of me. Ends up they still do.

I don't see how that is a big commitment or dangerous or anything. I just have a few questions about your shopping experience, if you liked it or not, what annoys you, what things you like, and see if it will help me starting my own online shop.
Don't want anybody's credit card number or social security number.

Cheers,
Ilhan
 Post Number: 18
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one wants to spend 20 minutes with a survey, or a discussion group, talking about anything.  If you managed to ask each of us about the one thing we value most, I doubt you could engage us for 20 minutes on that 1 topic.  I might talk to you for 20 minutes on kayaking and backpacking, but certainly not on shopping.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 01 2013, 10:33 am)
No one wants to spend 20 minutes with a survey, or a discussion group, talking about anything.  If you managed to ask each of us about the one thing we value most, I doubt you could engage us for 20 minutes on that 1 topic.  I might talk to you for 20 minutes on kayaking and backpacking, but certainly not on shopping.  

ol-zeke,

well I have not had a discussion about that topic so I don't know if it takes that long, however I know how 20 minutes can go by and I think I have a few questions. So it might take 20 minutes or it might not.
Once I took a survey on the design of axe shower gel bottles for a marketing company and they managed to keep us talking for an hour about such a subject.

It is just kind of disappointing that I have not gotten any real answer except from you and JRinGeorgia, nobody has asked what I was going for or explained why they won't do it. Just started making fun right away.

I have also written that this can be done over skype or email, I don't care, so there is no time constraint on anyone.

Anyway, if you have a few minutes and don't mind talking to a rookie I'd appreciate that (email or pm talk is just fine with me), if not thanks for your answer.

Cheers,
Ilhan
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Suggestion: post a couple of your top observations and questions and see if that starts any discussion about it, here out in the open. Could be a good start.

It's just that there are so many scams and trolls these days, people are wary.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shopping: good bargains.

That's about it, not much else to talk about.
 Post Number: 22
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be blunt:

Obviously, this is not your strength. In the future, I humbly suggest that you introduce what you are trying to accomplish CLEARLY without all the mystery. Give a short introduction of who you are, a background of your proposed project followed by a list of around five basic questions. This is a forum. We discuss things/ideas here.

We're not here to go somewhere else to discuss things with some stranger who pops up in our forum. Clearly, you don't realize that what you're asking is basically one ridiculously large red flag and still really haven't got the hint that 20 minutes of Skyping with some stranger for marketing without even being open about your questions, who you are, or what this is really about is about downright dangerous.

Good luck with your marketing skills.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ilhan89bln @ May 01 2013, 10:28 am)
I am from Germany and I tried to do some online shopping for backpacking gear (remember: I am new to this) but didn't like the shops and the online stores.
I did some research on the situation in the US and I also didn't like the online stores.
So I had the idea of opening my own online store and doing a few things differently. However, I was wondering if that is a problem worth solving and that's why I asked to talk to a few people.
I didn't want to post this at first because I was afraid people would make fun of me. Ends up they still do.

What kind of "research" did you do, exactly?  Did you look in the 'Gear' section of this forum?  There have been many threads about various online shopping websites but you would actually have to take the initiative to look for them and read them.

FWIW, when I read a statement like "I did some research on the situation in the US and I also didn't like the online stores", I tend to doubt that what you did could really be called "research".  JMO.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually Skype naked, just saying. But on the rare occasion that I don't I wear a squirrel costume.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Suggestion: post a couple of your top observations and questions and see if that starts any discussion about it,here out in the open. Could be a good start.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I think that is a good idea and I will write something in a short while.

Shopping: good bargains.

That's about it, not much else to talk about.

That's the only thing? When you go on an online store do you always exactly know what you want (Model XY of Brand AB) or do you have an idea of what you want and shop around (I need something to do X let's find the best).

To be blunt:

Obviously,this is not your strength. In the future, I humbly suggest that you introduce what you are trying to accomplish CLEARLY without all the mystery. Give a short introduction of who you are, a background of your proposed project followed by a list of around five basic questions. This is a forum. We discuss things/ideas here.

We're not here to go somewhere else to discuss things and not with some stranger. Clearly, you don't realize that what you're asking is basically one ridiculously large red flag and still really haven't got the hint that 20 minutes of Skyping with some stranger for marketing without even being open about what your questions, who you are, or what this is really about is a bad idea.

Good luck with your marketing skills.

To be blunt:
without asking for clarification or any other questions you have started to make fun of me.
Good luck with those people skills.

What kind of "research" did you do, exactly?  Did you look in the 'Gear' section of this forum?  There have been many threads about various online shopping websites but you would actually have to take the initiative to look for them and read them.

FWIW, when I read a statement like "I did some research on the situation in the US and I also didn't like the online stores", I tend to doubt that what you did could really be called "research".  JMO.

I have actually. I have looked through several online stores and maybe you with your years of hiking experience have a different outlook on things but I got pretty confused and couldn't find what I was looking for.
I didn't have the idea of looking into different forums for online store reviews, thanks for the hint.

Please everybody comment if you add to the discussion. I got it, there are a few people here who are pretty proud of their skype jokes, nice for them, but please leave me alone if you do not have anything constructive to add to the discussion.

Thank you,
Ilhan
 Post Number: 26
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People joke here too. You can ask...but jokes will happen. We don't have "private" threads. It is an open forum with open discussions.

Why don't you explain why or how it is that you have a hard time finding stuff at a particular online store and maybe we can direct you to a store that has a layout you might like better...

--------------
 Post Number: 27
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I had a few suboptimal experiences shopping for gear. I have a few ideas how to improve that situation, but I am not sure if people share the same problems.

Please elaborate on those "suboptimal experiences." Is it that you couldn't find what you need, or you simply don't yet know what you need because you're just starting out? What are the problems that need improving?

(Anyone else notice that OP sounds a little like a more verbose version of Timeoteo?)

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
 Post Number: 28
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 01 2013, 7:51 am)
Suggestion: post a couple of your top observations and questions and see if that starts any discussion about it, here out in the open. Could be a good start.

+1
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(schlanky @ May 01 2013, 11:26 am)

Please elaborate on those "suboptimal experiences." Is it that you couldn't find what you need, or you simply don't yet know what you need because you're just starting out? What are the problems that need improving?

(Anyone else notice that OP sounds a little like a more verbose version of Timeoteo?)

I knew about what I needed, but I did not have the big picture (what brands are there, which ones are good, what stuff is crap, etc.) and I had a hard time getting the big picture (yes, I used Google).

I also had to spend a lot of time finding out if what I wanted to buy is worth the price, what others say about it and how to use it properly.

That was my problem.

Now I know there is this forum and a lot of people who post information online, but my main idea with the shop was having all the information on the website.
Giving the buyer the big picture. Having long product description pages with all the info in one place.
 Post Number: 30
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's essentially what REI does.

http://www.rei.com/?s_kwci....54320:s
58 replies since Apr. 30 2013, 2:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Your shopping experience
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions