2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are you part of the 79%? Adults who don't get the, recommended amount of exercise.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 12:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I come close because of work routine and bike riding. I lack in upper body conditioning, though.

Most people aren't meeting exercise guidelines
Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY12:01 p.m. EDT May 2, 2013
Few people doing enough aerobic activity and strength training.

About 79% of adults don't meet the physical activity guidelines that advise getting at least 2˝ hours a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as brisk walking, or one hour and 15 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, such as jogging.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks like I exceed those recommendations and have my entire adult life. I probably double the aerobic and at least meet the strengthening exercise recommendations.

Why? Am I showing cognitive decline?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, Travis!

I typically (when I'm myself; I'm still working on that) get the 2 1/2 hours of moderate to intense exercise in a single day when I go for a long ride, then toss in 20-90 minutes more on most other days.  I lift twice a week, but don't quite hit the upper body as I ought, mostly because half the joints seem to be injured half the time.  I pay a lot of attention to the core, though.  That keeps the sciatica at bay. .  .good god, sounds like I'm totally falling apart!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More than enough in the aerobics but I fall somewhat short in the strength conditioning.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I handily exceed the aerobic guidelines.  I biked for 6 hours for fun last Saturday and will be running for more than 2 this coming Saturday.  One day of bike commuting for me nets 3hrs roundabouts.

Strength training is meh.  I don't lift weights at the gym.  Manual labor is my strength training, and swinging tools and carrying rocks for trail maintenance mostly accounts for it.  I do a little bit of lifting at work, but not much.  Not to mention, riding a mountain bike on trails combines aerobic with strength so I get a two-fer.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 02 2013, 12:13 pm)
More than enough in the aerobics but I fall somewhat short in the strength conditioning.

Same here--aerobic exercise is mostly in the form of things I do for fun: walking to work every day, hiking, playing soccer.

Strength training is never much fun, whether it's lifting at the gym or hauling bags of mortar and concrete blocks for my current honey-do project.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A bike ride today.
Twelve ounce curls tonight.
 Post Number: 8
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The issue about how much and how often exercise one ought to get has long been controversial.   All agree some level of exercise is very beneficial.  So have some doubts about the methodology of the poll.

snippet:

About 79% of adults don't meet the physical activity guidelines that advise getting at least 2˝ hours a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as brisk walking, or one hour and 15 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, such as jogging.

That poll was not likely to receive reliable responses unless it also qualified the question with a time frame.   Otherwise some thinking near term will claim they meet those guidelines only because they are currently doing so.  If otherwise asked if they have been doing so regularly for say the last year, (especially during winter Holiday season) far fewer would admit they qualify.  Others like this person thinking longer term would say no because although I might have well exceeded the threshold over the last month, I am never on a regular periodic exercise regiment but rather from month to month and year to year such varies enormously.  

Over the long term I get a lot of exercise, it is just not regular 2.5 hours per week of moderate and 1.5 hours of intense exercise per week month after month.  It all comes down to the fact I am not the type to exercise in periodic fashion like the many that go to gyms but rather by participating in outdoor activities as I can fit into my schedule.  Activities I also have enthusiasm to continue participating in over the long term that is more likely to continue than some urban person going through a year or two at a gym on a physical fitness kick.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 9
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am one of the 90% or so who is over weight.  I get a lot of exercise, but eat an unhealthy but well liked diet.
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does drinking coffee and eating bacon count? If so, I'm in.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ May 02 2013, 1:53 pm)
 It all comes down to the fact I am not the type to exercise in periodic fashion like the many that go to gyms but rather by participating in outdoor activities as I can fit into my schedule.  Activities I also have enthusiasm to continue participating in over the long term that is more likely to continue than some urban person going through a year or two at a gym on a physical fitness kick.

+1  That pretty much nails it for me as well.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would say that on avg, I am getting the recommended hours of exercise, but they are all condensed into the same 4 month period.  :)  I do go to the gym 5  days a week, for weight training, and bike riding in the wet months.  On good weather days, I get my bike riding outdoors.  So far, I have not been a good foul weather outdoor rider, and my gym is only a mile away.  Yeah, I am old, overweight, and not in good stamina health.  I could use a few more days a week climbing hills and steep inclines.  Instead, I try to eat better so I do not get more overweight.  Dr. says I am healthy and more active than most of his other patients.  Is it wrong to compare my own fitness to what I see around me?  Is better than 90% of others within 20 years of my age good enough?  I doubt it, but then no one lives forever.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 13
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All my life I've been very active and for the last 30 years I've had a gym routine of aerobics, weights and stretching or Yoga to cure or ward off nagging problems as well as prepare for specific activities.  Apparently I overdid it and got too sexy for my hair. :(

For the past year my shoulder problems and then shoulder surgery kept me out of the gym and then away from exercise entirely.  I haven't been this out of shape, ever.  It is foreign to me and I'm frustrated, but slowly coming back.  Within the last several weeks I've regained full range of motion in my shoulder.  I have no pain and no strength.   My pants don't fit and I get winded going to the refrigerator, but I'll be back.  Interestingly enough I have not gained weight.  I used to consider myself out of shape when I got to 18% fat, but I'd rather not know what it is now.  

I have some empathy and a lot of respect for those who exercise, diet, and still struggle with their weight.
 Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I do in fact run, ride, or swim 6 days a week, and try to lift at least twice a week.  So I'd say I qualify on a regular basis, and have done for the last 18 years, with time out for injuries (and foot surgery), child birth, and backpacking (oh, wait--that's even more exercise).  A lifetime of poverty made my diet healthy (it turns out that if you can actually cook, it's cheaper to eat decently than to eat fast-food crap), and my husband made me even more conscious about it since he's mildly obsessive.

It may not be coincidental that my weight is within 5-10 lbs of my college weight.  In all honesty, I'm one of those people who is addicted, physically and psychologically, to exercise, and I get pretty wigged out when I don't get enough (yeah, yeah, straight to the OOC thread with that one!).

Okay, maybe I'm boasting ;)

But even with the addiction, it's not always easy to get my aging body to get up and do what needs to be done.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ May 02 2013, 7:57 pm)
Well, I do in fact run, ride, or swim 6 days a week, and try to lift at least twice a week.  So I'd say I qualify on a regular basis, and have done for the last 18 years, with time out for injuries (and foot surgery), child birth, and backpacking (oh, wait--that's even more exercise).  A lifetime of poverty made my diet healthy (it turns out that if you can actually cook, it's cheaper to eat decently than to eat fast-food crap), and my husband made me even more conscious about it since he's mildly obsessive.

It may not be coincidental that my weight is within 5-10 lbs of my college weight.  In all honesty, I'm one of those people who is addicted, physically and psychologically, to exercise, and I get pretty wigged out when I don't get enough (yeah, yeah, straight to the OOC thread with that one!).

Okay, maybe I'm boasting ;)

But even with the addiction, it's not always easy to get my aging body to get up and do what needs to be done.

I think it falls under the category of it can be done and setting the example.

I had gotten pretty lackadaisical about exercising a few years back and then I started working with a guy a few years older than me who was very consistent about exercising.   I said if he can do it, I ought to be doing it and got started.

I run or do the elliptical machine 3x a week, doing sit-ups and push-ups or kettlebells before aerobic exercise...that said there were a lot of weeks in the winter where I only got to work-outs a week in.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 02 2013, 3:01 pm)
 Is better than 90% of others within 20 years of my age good enough?  

Actually, I'd say that's pretty good.  But let's face it, no matter how much you exercise and watch your diet, there will always be someone in better shape.  I don't think I want to get into that game.  As long as I'm healthy enough to do the things I want to do, I'm happy.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can bench 700 pounds and run a 4 minute mile.
 Post Number: 18
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Geez. That's the "minimum"?

No wonder we're all getting huge.
 Post Number: 19
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I am in the 20% that excede the minimum. Ask me 20 years ago when I was midly obese and did little to take care of myself and the answer would have been very different. I saw my Conoco Pipeline photo ID badge last week and holy crap from then and I looked BAD. I l ook my age now, I mean the mirror doesn't lie, but I can see a difference. A friend who was helping me do some design work on a new apartment came upon the photo at the same time freaked over it.

The last ten years I have been active and the last four I have really amped it up. I try for 8-10 hours a week of aerobic, strength, and yoga. The yoga is two hours of class a week and 30 minutes of personal practice 3-4 times a week. Aerobics is three hours group cycling and two hours of elliptical at 80-85% of max one week to 70-75% the next week. For BP the resistant is usually high. Strength training is 2-3 times a week a combination of machine and free weights.

The only change comes if I have a great hiking weekend, then I may take a Monday or Tuesday rest day. If I have a bigger BP trip, then definitely some rest days are taken. The only injury i had had in the last four years came when I had a real hard last day march and then went right into gym the next morning and wrenched an over worked lower back. Because I was in decent shape, recovery came quicker than it did years ago.

Recovery is another issue. I had indentical surgeries 20 years apart, matching hernias left and then right. At fifty pounds overwight and poor condition, I lost 8 days work. With ten pounds of my weight for height and build, plus good aerobic shape, I needed only three days of recovery before a return to work. It all makes a difference. Fitness does not cure age, but I believe it can so the moderate the pace of decline.

Yoga doesn't seem to be about fitness  for me except it seems to compliment the rest of the activity as I became so much more body-mind aware about all health.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 20
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the past 12 years I've been on a steady routine.  30 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of walking or the elliptical 3 to 4 time per week.  I'm not in superior condition but I can spring into action when I need to.

For the past 2 months I haven't even come close to any type of physical activity.  I've been working 2 jobs for the past 2 years but they increased my hours on my part time job so now I'm working 50 to 70 hours per week.  I just don't feel like working out anymore :(

The only exercise I get now is walking the dog a couple of times per night.  Not really knocking out the calories doing that :p

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 21
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lately, my job as a trim carpenter has involved MANY multi family projects, involving carrying all of my materials. tools, etc up and down up to 12 flights of stairs, repeated 40-50 times a day, moving 500-800 lbs a day + up and down said steps.

I just wish I had the time off to use my 45 lb weight loss in the past 1 1/2 yrs, and my stair climbing workouts.

I'm also glad I didn't donate all of my old clothes to Goodwill !! After a good washing to get the dust off, I can fit into nearly everything in my closet, dating  back to my HS/College days.

My "Fat Pants" from 3 years ago, have long since been relegated to the ragbag.

This is a photo of me at the worst I've ever weighed, taken at Pickle Gulch 2 years ago, thanks Di !!

(I'm in the orange parka)

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 22
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drop and give me 40! Yer all worthless and weak!

Running has become my passion. It changes your body if you stick with it. And the endorphin rush can't be beat by anything else I know. The weight lifting is painful now, like it never used to be when I was a young whipper-snapper. But I do it because it's necessary. And because it makes me look damn good naked.
 Post Number: 23
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trying to do one long day hike with some elevation gain every week, walk a few miles on other days, and then of course run around chasing and then wrestling my 14-month old on all days should count for something, no?  lol

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 24
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I was heavier. Lost around 50 pounds. But still considered obese by the standards. My ideal weight is what I weighed in high school. Still working on it. So I am a 79%.
 Post Number: 25
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ May 04 2013, 8:02 am)
Well, I was heavier. Lost around 50 pounds. But still considered obese by the standards. My ideal weight is what I weighed in high school. Still working on it. So I am a 79%.

Not necessarily.  The question was about exercise, not weight, right?

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently committed to running my 1st half marathon in November. I've run a few 5K's before and hiked 13 miles. I am now running 3 times a week to train and have started from scratch as I just had my 2nd baby 6 months ago. The pregnancy and nursing helped me drop 25 lbs, but I still have 25lbs to go in order to get back to what I weighed when I got married.

This summer, I hope to supplement the running with swimming and weight training. But having two kids and working full time, it is challenging just to run 3x a week!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
25 replies since May 02 2013, 12:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are you part of the 79%? Adults who don't get the
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions