2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Twist On Lost CA Hikers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nicolas Cendoya, 19, was arrested Wednesday, weeks after investigators found 497 milligrams of methamphetamine in his car April 2, reports the OC Register.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....D307674
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is down the street from me, and I have hiked in this area many many times.

I knew it didn't make sense!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 3
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two things I would not do on a first date?  Meth or a secluded hike, let alone both!  

I hope they are made responsible for the $160,000 search fees because their druggy-butts got them lost within a mile of the trail.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So...I guess it wasn't Jesus after all.  Had me fooled for a little while.
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked and mountain biked in that area many times.
You'd have to try REALLY hard to get lost there.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He
also volunteered to help pay back some of the cost of the rescue.

"Some of the cost"? If they were doped up they owe the entire amount.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why did it take a month after finding the drugs in his car to bring charges?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 03 2013, 12:04 pm)
Why did it take a month after finding the drugs in his car to bring charges?

I wonder if they offered him a deal that eventually fell through.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's possible the blood samples taken at the time of their treatment for dehydration etc. would be able to shed light on whether they had drugs in their system when they got lost and went missing.

Otherwise what was discovered back in the car isn't terribly relevant, except perhaps to leverage testing those blood samples.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 03 2013, 10:28 am)
He

It seems headed in that direction.

link
 Post Number: 11
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 03 2013, 2:36 pm)

He

link

I think it is wrong to be charging for rescues, even in cases such as this.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ May 04 2013, 9:46 am)

(big_load @ May 03 2013, 2:36 pm)

He

link

I think it is wrong to be charging for rescues, even in cases such as this.

Rumi

I tend to agree.
But I do think there needs to be some sort of an economic disincentive for irresponsible behaviors that cause such a response.

Perhaps a stiff fine if the situation is determined to have been negligent.
 Post Number: 13
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Confused...
How does the presence of 1/2 gram of meth (in the car) immediately invoke cause for the cost of the rescue? Not advocating anything, but I routinely carry a few Percocet and/or Oxycontin tabs - never used but... just if.

Thus if ever needing rescue, and SAR found my "stash", would I also be held  monetarily accountable?

If found negligent or irresponsible - another story, but 1/2 gram?
Seen more idiocy and stupidity from legal drunks.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes you can get lost in your own mind.
 Post Number: 15
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 04 2013, 11:54 am)
Confused...
How does the presence of 1/2 gram of meth (in the car) immediately invoke cause for the cost of the rescue? Not advocating anything, but I routinely carry a few Percocet and/or Oxycontin tabs - never used but... just if.

Thus if ever needing rescue, and SAR found my "stash", would I also be held  monetarily accountable?

If found negligent or irresponsible - another story, but 1/2 gram?
Seen more idiocy and stupidity from legal drunks.

I hope you keep those tablets in their prescription bottle when the are "on you", or a traffic stop could turn into a trip to jail and a drug charge. Might not be fair, but those are the rules.
It might also be helpful to point out that Percocet and Oxycontin are legal when prescribed by a doctor, don't know of any MD's writing scrips on meth, since it is currently illegal and not made by any pharmaceutical company's.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 16
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“I hope you keep those tablets in their prescription bottle when they are "on you", or a traffic stop could turn into a trip to jail and a drug charge. Might not be fair, but those are the rules.
It might also be helpful to point out that Percocet and Oxycontin are legal when prescribed by a doctor…”

First off, this is not about me; what I choose to do in the wilderness, or not do, has no bearing… (Insert something here about personal freedoms and rights). Coincidentally, you have the same lack of restrictions too, (… read liberties.)

As long as the hikers rescued practiced LNT and were not shown negligent or irresponsible, what difference does anything found back in their car have to do with allocating SAR costs?  The ½ gram (yes indeed, breaking drug laws) is cause for arrest – but for drugs!
Without proving negligence, any charging for (or even the threat of charging for) SAR bothers me.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 17
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 06 2013, 10:52 am)
The ½ gram (yes indeed, breaking drug laws) is cause for arrest – but for drugs!
Without proving negligence, any charging for (or even the threat of charging for) SAR bothers me.

The half gram may just be what's left.  But I agree with the need to prove negligence.  The authority needs to show that the hikers actually used the drugs.  My hunch (and that's all it is) is that they did -- given the hallucinations and all.  But lab tests will be required to show definitively.

If the hikers did not use the drugs -- then they should not be made to pay for the SAR costs.  There are other laws dealing with drug possession -- and that is an entirely separate legal process.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We don't charge off expenses when dealing with most other Issues of negligence and I don't think we (as a society) should charge for SAR costs like this.  Just save people and if they have done crimes then charge them with crimes.  Going down the road towards judging the worthiness of rescue is dangerous.

Rui

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 19
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ May 06 2013, 2:58 pm)
Rui

Put down the crack pipe and type with both hands.

:D

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ May 06 2013, 12:10 pm)

(RumiDude @ May 06 2013, 2:58 pm)
Rui

Put down the crack pipe and type with both hands.

:D

That hurt ... that really hurt.  You know I gave up the crack pipe for the hypodermic-syringe.  Besides, the crack pipe was wrecking my teeth.

Rumi~the hypo~Dude

--------------
 Post Number: 21
HikeEveryDay Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Charging for a rescue for finding a minuscule amount of an illegal substance would set a very bad precedent.  Would law enforcement start looking for any illegal activity done by lost people so they would be justified in charging them for what should be public service?  How far would it then go?  What if I had a beer before I started hiking?  How about it my tags on my car were expired?  Maybe a kid dropped his Ritalin in my car and I don't have a script for it, would that warrant me being charged?  Once we start down that slippery slope there's no telling where it could go.  Next, police departments will want to start seizing property of lost hikers to cover their costs.

Besides, the "cost" of a rescue is money that's already being spent.  Police are already on duty, firemen are already being paid and most rescuers are volunteers.  The so-called cost of rescues is for salaries that are going to be paid anyway.

--------------
‎"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."

- T. S. Eliot.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We use the term "hiker" pretty loosely out here in Los Angeles...

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 23
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I assumed Cendoya got disoriented because those two big cz studs weighing down his earlobes had forced his neck muscles to work so hard that it cut off the circulation to his brain.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
22 replies since May 02 2013, 3:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Twist On Lost CA Hikers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions