2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: PBS the Movie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PBS.  What comes to my mind:  incessant programs on gay and women issues -- and repetitive fund raisers featuring the same geriatric rock stars.

Narrow views and lazy fund raisers.  No thanks.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a big fan of PBS programming.
Its about the only channel we can let our 2 year old watch, and us leave him in the room confident that the next kids program isn't going to involve weapons or violence.
Ms. Bandit and I enjoy NOVA, Austin City Limits, several local PBS shows, and I really like the This Old House guys.

Speaking of Narrow views....Ben???
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ May 02 2013, 1:18 pm)
I am a big fan of PBS programming.
Its about the only channel we can let our 2 year old watch, and us leave him in the room confident that the next kids program isn't going to involve weapons or violence.
Ms. Bandit and I enjoy NOVA, Austin City Limits, several local PBS shows, and I really like the This Old House guys.

Speaking of Narrow views....Ben???

Yes, narrow views.  Watching PBS often reminds me of watching FOX -- both heavy handed in their filtering process -- and neither of which I respect.

It is one thing for individuals like you and I to hold firm convictions about this or that issue.  But a public broadcasting station?  I prefer public stations and media that don't have particular agendas -- left, right or center.

Just my two cents, of course.  YMMV, as always.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 02 2013, 12:47 pm)
PBS.  What comes to my mind:  incessant programs on gay and women issues -- and repetitive fund raisers featuring the same geriatric rock stars.

Huh?

To each their own I suppose, but that's not my view of PBS.  Well....I guess I'd have to agree about the fund raisers - but are they really any worse than 3 minutes of commercials after 5 minutes of programing like network TV?  They have to pay the bills some how and I'll take the occasional fundraisers over Please Don't Squeeze The Charmin commercials any day.

Seriously, if that's all that comes to your mind from PBS, you need to look a little closer.
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Besides Burt and Ernie's obvious homosexual agenda, what else we talking about here?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 02 2013, 1:27 pm)
Yes, narrow views.  Watching PBS often reminds me of watching FOX -- both heavy handed in their filtering process -- and neither of which I respect.

That's actually laughable Ben.

I'll agree that some of their news reporting may lean left on occasion.  But name one PBS program that even comes remotely close to the obnoxiously loud and partisan rhetoric spewed by Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly on a daily basis.

That aside, there is far more to PBS programming than just news and current events
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They really needed Norm Abram too.
 Post Number: 9
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that by far, PBS is the most informative TV channel. Oddly enough, the learning channel competes with FOX news for being the least informative.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 02 2013, 3:47 pm)

Seriously??  Wow... have you actually watched any of the programming?  I mean every station has their duds and fillers but PBS has some of the best stuff, imo, and I'm really not much of a TV watcher, in general.

The Bletchley Circle
Downton Abbey
Mystery!
Frontline
Great Performances
Nova
Anything by Ken Burns

Oh, and we watched a documentary about Huberman recently that was really good, and if you don't know who Huberman was, then you should watch it.

Maybe it's having spent all those years in Boston with WGBH but I'm a huge fan and I don't think you could be more wrong!

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But what about Thomas the gay footman on Downtown Abbey?
 Post Number: 12
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gawd, I hate the narrow views and heavy handed filtering of This Old House, NOVA, and especially Austin City Limits.  It's disgusting!

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 02 2013, 5:32 pm)
But what about Thomas the gay footman on Downtown Abbey?

OMG... you're right... busted.  You know, they try to distract us with that British accent and all that proper upstairs/downstairs thing.

And, obviously, The Bletchley Circle has some sort of militant feminist agenda...  (Honestly, that's a great series, btw.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ May 02 2013, 2:36 pm)
Gawd, I hate the narrow views and heavy handed filtering of This Old House, NOVA, and especially Austin City Limits.  It's disgusting!

Rumi

Do you ever watch Bluegrass Underground?
Talk about "narrow"...they have drive in to that narrow little opening in the cave.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ May 02 2013, 2:42 pm)

Rumi

Talk about "narrow"...they have drive in to that narrow little opening in the cave.

Plus the incessant gay and women's issues!  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ May 02 2013, 3:09 pm)

(hbfa @ May 02 2013, 2:42 pm)

Rumi

Plus the incessant gay and women's issues!  

Rumi

Yeah, that Nature series is so gay.
 Post Number: 17
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aaaand I'm going to guess nobody actually watched the Youtube? Thanks, ChuckD. That was absolutely hilarious...I heard about it a few hours before you posted it and it saved me the time looking it up. :)
 Post Number: 18
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PBS is about the only thing on at our house... best news source on the tube, Frontline, Nova, Nature, Masterpiece, etc., etc.

Were it not for PBS I would hardly watch TV...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ May 02 2013, 7:47 pm)
Aaaand I'm going to guess nobody actually watched the Youtube?

Hey ... I watched it.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 20
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben, put down the anime and step away from the tailpipe.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 21
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 02 2013, 4:38 pm)
Besides Burt and Ernie's obvious homosexual agenda, what else we talking about here?

All those nails getting hammered in and the spinning powerdrills on This Old House have always left me all hot and bothered.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ May 03 2013, 10:20 am)

(Marmotstew @ May 02 2013, 4:38 pm)

All those nails getting hammered in and the spinning powerdrills on This Old House have always left me all hot and bothered.

Well there is Miss Piggy and all her "women issues".
 Post Number: 23
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PBS is a nice break from the reality garbage on TV. Not a real big Jersey Shore fan.
 Post Number: 24
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I am what hydrogen becomes given 15 Billion years of cosmic evolution."

I don't have tv, but I loved that line

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 25
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ May 04 2013, 11:59 am)
"I am what hydrogen becomes given 15 Billion years of cosmic evolution."

I don't have tv, but I loved that line

Like  :)

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
24 replies since May 02 2013, 3:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply PBS the Movie
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions