2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fox on the Run (Part Deux)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 6:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd been wanting to respond to the original post, but ever since my 'epic' fox photo season 2 yrs ago, I hadn't seen a fox in over a year, until last night , when I saw a little kit run by.

This is what I got to see just 5 min ago as a fox just grabbed "dinner on the run".  I was lucky enough to have just gotten back from my MTB ride and my camera was still sitting out on the counter, because the whole event took place in <10 sec..

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Good catch...!!
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SWT, great shots!

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 5
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics!

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duck!
 Post Number: 7
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet.....get it

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 8
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics.   That's not a little kit though....more like momma taking dinner back to her little kits.
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ May 05 2013, 6:09 pm)
Nice pics.   That's not a little kit though....more like momma taking dinner back to her little kits.

He saw the kit the day before, with no camera handy.  Today he hit the jackpot.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kcwins @ May 05 2013, 6:50 pm)

Fox on the run, can't find any oxygen, to let little willie go home, and do the wig wam bam.

Fixed it, for you.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The duck looks in a fairly pristine state still, without a hint of alarm on its face at the moment of death. It looks eerily "calm" and unmangled.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ May 06 2013, 3:00 pm)
The duck looks in a fairly pristine state still, without a hint of alarm on its face at the moment of death. It looks eerily "calm" and unmangled.

I noticed that, too, especially the lack of ruffled feathers.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who would conceive of something as questionable as the look on a duck's face.   :D
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 06 2013, 1:24 pm)

I noticed that, too, especially the lack of ruffled feathers.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who would conceive of something as questionable as the look on a duck's face.   :D

I have watched this scene played out several times, with either a duck or a squirrel.

The duck is still completely alive. This is the few seconds after the initial charge and catch.

With a duck being so large, the fox will only run with it 10-20 yds before it has to stop and put it down to readjust it's grip on it.

The duck will remain absolutely motionless in the foxes mouth, until the instant the fox sets it down, then will attempt to fly off.

In ~ 50% of times I've watched, the duck does escape.

After the first "readjustment", the fox will then drag the victim another 20 yds or so into heavy cover, where the fox is safer, and deliver the "coup de grâce", by biting off the head.......

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice!  And I still remember your fox pics from two years ago.  Thanks again!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So was this a wild duck or a pond duck?
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ May 06 2013, 8:52 pm)
So was this a wild duck or a pond duck?

Wild Mallard hen, on our pond.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ May 06 2013, 9:12 pm)

I have watched this scene played out several times, with either a duck or a squirrel.

The duck is still completely alive. This is the few seconds after the initial charge and catch.

With a duck being so large, the fox will only run with it 10-20 yds before it has to stop and put it down to readjust it's grip on it.

The duck will remain absolutely motionless in the foxes mouth, until the instant the fox sets it down, then will attempt to fly off.

After the first "readjustment", the fox will then drag the victim another 20 yds or so into heavy cover, where the fox is safer, and deliver the "coup de grâce", by biting off the head.......

That's very interesting.  It sounds almost like a conscious strategy.
 Post Number: 18
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 07 2013, 12:46 am)

(swimswithtrout @ May 06 2013, 9:12 pm)

That's very interesting.  It sounds almost like a conscious strategy.

Well. The only emotion displayed in the picture is that 1/3.5th of a fox's eye...call it consciousness.

Awesome, SWT!

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 19
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics man. seeing more and more fox up here, guess these warmer winters agree with them.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
18 replies since May 05 2013, 6:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fox on the Run (Part Deux)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions