2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tucson hiker found dead hanging in rappelling gear, and covered in bee stings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 1:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tucson hiker found dead, hanging in rappelling gear and covered in bee stings

When Johnson did not show up to work Monday, co-workers reported him missing to the Tucson Police Department.

Another failure to follow the Zero Essential.  

It may not have made a difference, but what if SAR had found him the first night he didn't return as expected, maybe he would have survived.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1164678

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what if SAR had found him the first night he didn't return as expected, maybe he would have survived.

In my case, longer than 20 minutes wouldn't have made any difference. With hundreds of stings, probably less than 5 minutes.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even so, it is still an all too often occurrence for SAR not to be contacted until after someone fails to return to work the following week.  The only reasons for such failures are;

1. They don't have any friends or relatives they can trust; or

2. They aren't knowledgeable enough about being prepared in the outdoors; or

3. they have some self-centered romantic notion about dying in the wilderness and no consideration for the people who will have to deal with their rotting carcass.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or he was pothunting and wanted to keep a low profile.

Rapelling with his dog left at the top of the ridge? Then he gets attacked by a colony? Seems like he poked into a hole for some reason or other.... artifact hunting would be one. Otherwise at the end of his rappell he's left his dog at the top of the ridge? Which struck me as odd.

Other parts of the country that  might not occur but being it's the Southwest there's some chance.
 Post Number: 6
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 08 2013, 4:15 pm)
Otherwise at the end of his rappel he's left his dog at the top of the ridge? Which struck me as odd.

Not arguing the "maybe pothunting" speculation since I'm not from 'round there, but leaving the dog at the top of the ridge might make sense if he'd have to go back up to retrieve gear. I don't know what he was rapping from, but it sure wouldn't be my pick of a way to go...

Note to self: scratch Tucson off the climbing destination list. :(
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ May 08 2013, 2:36 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 08 2013, 4:15 pm)
Otherwise at the end of his rappel he's left his dog at the top of the ridge? Which struck me as odd.

Not arguing the "maybe pothunting" speculation since I'm not from 'round there, but leaving the dog at the top of the ridge might make sense if he'd have to go back up to retrieve gear. I don't know what he was rapping from, but it sure wouldn't be my pick of a way to go...

Note to self: scratch Tucson off the climbing destination list. :(

True, "sport rapelling" you want to retrieve your anchor gear.

The "hiker" part might have thrown me off as then you keep going, such as when descending a slot or whatever.

Rattlesnakes sunning themselves on ledges has been my occassional concern.... yeah I guess that now includes easily annoyed bees.
6 replies since May 08 2013, 1:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tucson hiker found dead hanging in rappelling gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions