2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Has Facebook Taken Over The Forums?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This place isn't the same as it was back in the day. Damn kids and their Facebook. Facebook is in my auto correct! I just imagine all you people over there with your pictures and your farms having a jolly time. Maybe I'm antiquidated and need to get with the program. On a scale of 1 to 10 how cool is it?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you know that most of the talk on FB doesn't center on backpacking?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hah. I bet they sit around and talk about Oprah.
 Post Number: 4
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a lot like ancient Egypt
People write on walls and worship cats

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say it has for our local forums - there is a NWHIkers group on FB and more relevant stuff is posted there than the actual forums. It is easier I think as well to connect with others on FB....but also for me I am talking with companies, other people interested in all my hobbies and so on :-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Facebook hasn't taken over the Forums.

It's lured away some regular participants. And that's fine.

It's fun to watch them come by here and do a mass participation and then slink back to their comfortable, communal chatter. Some folks need the personal reinforcement Facebook provides. Backpacking does that for me.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I miss it here A LOT! It used to be a very fun place to hang out, swap stories, personal tragedies, etc.  And talk about hiking, which I haven't had much time to do over the last 3 years....

I don't post here as often anymore due to the cattiness that was going on, and probably still goes on.  There's no reason to be hateful to others when there's a difference of opinion.  That cattiness has run off some very good people, some who have been here for many, many years such as myself, and just can't stomach the B.S. and better-than-thou attitudes anymore.

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton

Isn't that the truth?
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not on facebook but I suspect it has. Seems like I remember a few years ago that was where everyone headed to facebook

Also Meetup.com as well as Reddit.com all have splintered the forum world as have Blogs

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Marmy, I'm sticking around here.  I only have Facebook as an author page, and don't (in fact can't) use it for personal connections.  Though sometimes I go roam around and spy on what Forum folks are up to, I find the format utterly confusing and frustrating.  Maybe I'm too old.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh. I use Facebook for other things. It doesn't hold the same learning and friendship that I have here.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use both...  I remember a time (and miss) when I would post a trip report/photos here and get more than a couple of responses.   If I post my photos on FB I'll get a lot more, mostly from folks who I met through the forums!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 12
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(foggy @ May 09 2013, 10:05 am)
I miss it here A LOT! It used to be a very fun place to hang out, swap stories, personal tragedies, etc.  And talk about hiking, which I haven't had much time to do over the last 3 years....

I don't post here as often anymore due to the cattiness that was going on, and probably still goes on.  There's no reason to be hateful to others when there's a difference of opinion.  That cattiness has run off some very good people, some who have been here for many, many years such as myself, and just can't stomach the B.S. and better-than-thou attitudes anymore.

I participate here less for a lot of those reasons, too.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't find it too catty here. I thought this ancient technology and constant crashing led to people going to Facebook.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it easy to create a muppet on Facebook?
 Post Number: 15
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Start here
http://www.gcflearnfree.org/facebook101

Facebook is fading fast, better get there just in time for everyone to start using Google Plus!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 16
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ugh, I hate GooglePlus. Blah.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ May 09 2013, 12:19 pm)
Ugh, I hate GooglePlus. Blah.

Yeah, I think I'm on there, but never really could get into it.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just doesn't flow for me. I feel so old saying that :-D

--------------
 Post Number: 19
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not on Facebook at all.  I guess I shouldn't criticize it for that reason and I suppose it has it's positive attributes but to my limited knowledge it seems like one giant gossip board that feeds people's insecurities and boost their egos. I'm sure that doesn't apply to a lot of folks on it, but for now, my life is just fine without the complicaitons of social media. These forums are about as close to it as I want to get.  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a news source it's a little below Twitter (Twitter is a nice news aggregator, easy to scroll through a lot of little posts until something catches my eye), but for things like national parks and other destinations I frequent FB is a decent enough source of current info and they are starting to use FB as a more effective channel to get information out to the public than their own webpages, which tend to be a tad static in comparison.

So I guess I use neither in their "social" mode.
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to be on facebook, but didn't have many friends (just like here).

I don't think people really care about what I'm doing, and I don't care that they don't care.
 Post Number: 22
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 09 2013, 12:35 pm)
...but for now, my life is just fine without the complicaitons of social media.

I've come to the same conclusion. I think I'm better off without adding more mental clutter to my life.

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
 Post Number: 23
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Facebook has a lot of cool features, but the site doesn't work very well now that there are billions of users. I have trouble logging on and doing anything without it locking up on me, so I don't spend much time there. Maybe it works better from a smart phone, but I find its technical issues really frustrating.
 Post Number: 24
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's just a tool, like this forum.
I come here because it's where I can interact with people who know about hiking and share my passion (such an overused word, I'm sorry) for it. While some of my friends and family enjoy hiking, few would consider it to be more than a casual hobby.
Facebook is fantastic for connecting with people you have known in your past and family, so that's what I do there. The other internet forums I post are where I can "meet" people I have that interest in common with: BYU sports, religion, dealing with cancer, etc..., and of course, backpacking.
Each is enjoyable and each has it's place.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 25
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the kids are using SnapChat :laugh:
 Post Number: 26
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FB for me is outside of any outdoors-y activities.  I have a rule there that I will not friend someone if I don't have a legitimate face-to-face relationship with them.  I have no coworkers as friends, no friends of friends, etc.  Everyone on my friends list is personal to me.  Having said that, only 1 or 2 are hiker/camper/backpacker types, so my knowledge base there is pretty thin.

I post about my kids and such, with much commenting, liking, and discussion, but most pics I've posted from trips are met with "Damn, I could never do that."

If I need research on gear, or wanna daydream about my next adventure, or brag about my most recent, I come here, where folks get it.

:D GSMNP, 2nd week of June, some AT time has been approved by the boss.  Might just be a couple hours one morning, but it'll be the AT.  Then I'll have to go back to wandering through the various Ripley's tourist traps  :D
 Post Number: 27
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 09 2013, 12:35 pm)
As a news source it's a little below Twitter (Twitter is a nice news aggregator, easy to scroll through a lot of little posts until something catches my eye), but for things like national parks and other destinations I frequent FB is a decent enough source of current info and they are starting to use FB as a more effective channel to get information out to the public than their own webpages, which tend to be a tad static in comparison.

Yup!  Facebook is an awesome place to get park/forest/blm info - and Twitter.  Agency websites are updated only hit/miss.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 28
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 09 2013, 10:50 am)
N/M

Did you post that at Facebook instead?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there a Facebook page about the details of RanD's fathers lunch date with the bear?
 Post Number: 30
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ May 09 2013, 1:58 pm)
Is there a Facebook page about the details of RanD's fathers lunch date with the bear?

HBO bought the rights, the mini-series is in production now

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
68 replies since May 09 2013, 10:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Has Facebook Taken Over The Forums?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions