2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How Big is Africa, Really?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 5:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More often than not, our media reports on 'Africa' almost as one giant place -- maybe further 'nuanced' into desert and jungle.  From The Economist, here's a map of Africa to put its sheer size (if not its diversity) more into focus:

I've only visited a handful of countries in Africa -- all in the northern parts (Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia).  I hope to venture south one day.  What countries on that continent have y'all visited?  I imagine some of you have done safaris there?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Africa is the refuge of my worst memories. They needed a Ghandi long before he left.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 09 2013, 2:47 pm)
Africa is the refuge of my worst memories. They needed a Ghandi long before he left.

Curious, what memories have you in Africa?  Where?  When?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should not have responded, I hardly ever share any of those memories in the real world let alone this one. My apologies Ben.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How ironic. People tend to see the African continent as a single entity while many people claim the title of two entire continents for the single country of the US.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 09 2013, 3:35 pm)
I should not have responded, I hardly ever share any of those memories in the real world let alone this one. My apologies Ben.

No apologies needed at all.  For my part, I was merely curious... hope that didn't come off as intrusive.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With a continent that size, I'm guessing (never been there) that you can't describe it as any one anything...
 Post Number: 8
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ May 09 2013, 7:20 pm)
With a continent that size, I'm guessing (never been there) that you can't describe it as any one anything...

Size isn't everything !  :D
“Since the dawn of history the negro has owned the continent of Africa – rich beyond the dream of poet’s fancy, crunching acres of diamonds beneath his bare black feet. Yet he never picked one up from the dust until a white man showed to him its glittering light. His land swarmed with powerful and docile animals, yet he never dreamed a harness, cart, or sled. A hunter by necessity, he never made an axe, spear, or arrowhead worth preserving beyond the moment of its use. He lived as an ox, content to graze for an hour. In a land of stone and timber he never sawed a foot of lumber, carved a block, or built a house save of broken sticks and mud. With league on league of ocean strand and miles of inland seas, for four thousand years he watched their surface ripple under the wind, heard the thunder of the surf on his beach, the howl of the storm over his head, gazed on the dim blue horizon calling him to worlds that lie beyond, and yet he never dreamed a sail.”— Charles Darwin

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spent the better part of a month in Kenya, with a footstep into Tanzania.  We participated in an elephant population study as part of an EarthWatch group.  We also visited several Kenyan National Parks, observing many wild animals.  This all happened within 2 months of the 9/11 attacks in the US.  We were in Kenya when the small plane crashed in Conn, and the Kenyans we were with thought it might be further attacks.

My opinion is based on limited involvement with the citizens of Kenya, and solely on my experiences with that safari.  I liked the country well enough, but the poverty would become oppressing if I had to stay long.  I do not do well when I see so much suffering around me.

The animals were wonderful, and I never tired of seeing them roam in the wild.  I would day hike among them if it was possible to do so.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And for all that, it's quite small really.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 11
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In 1976 I spent 2 weeks in Egypt.  It was a great experience.

My ULTIMATE trip would be to hike/jeep the Skeleton Coast and other areas of Namibia.  I want to see the dessert elephants and lions.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 12
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lived in Morocco for a couple years as a very young boy when my dad was stationed there while in the Marines.  I had the pleasure of returning while I was in the Marines in the late 1980's.  I will say it has been about the most remarkable place I have ever been.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ May 09 2013, 5:50 pm)
I lived in Morocco for a couple years as a very young boy when my dad was stationed there while in the Marines.  I had the pleasure of returning while I was in the Marines in the late 1980's.  I will say it has been about the most remarkable place I have ever been.

And that's the kind of experience that very, very few travelers can acquire!

Even in our own country where we share so much in common in terms of history, values, etc. -- growing up in different parts of our own country (e.g. Idaho or Massachusetts or Arkansas or California...) can be so vastly different!  One can only imagine the WIDE diversity in Africa where different regions share far less in terms of history / heritage!

Still boggles the mind how Africa 'swallows up' an entire USA and an entire China and India and still got space to spare for a bunch more European countries...

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are comparing Africa to the United States?  A continent to a country?  Silly.  

Try comparing Africa to North America,-- 11.7 to 9.1 (million square miles).  Not so different.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 15
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have only been to Egypt... not much considering that outstanding map.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 16
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting quote from Darwin!  Amazing that such a careful observor and clear, revolutionary thinker could be so wrong, apparently based on cultural bias.

As Jared Diamond has pointed out, with careful scientific analysis, one of the big problems with economic development in Africa 10-20,000 years ago was the lack of animals suited for domestication as a critical means of increasing human productivity, especially with ag.  Much the same problem as in North America and Australia.

The availble species were either too small for heavy plowing/hauling, or were not well adapted to domestication.  Zebra, gazzelle, and hippos do not lend themselves to the plow, and Cape Buffalo seem to have a mental problem!

I am going to pursue when and where Darwin was making that remark.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I think I shared before, I lived in Ethiopia for 8 months as a Peace Corps Volunteer before being evacuated because of a stupid war between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
I then got to travel to Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Zanzibar, and Egypt.  
While it wasn't easy, I pretty much fell in love with Africa.  Horrible warts and all.  I was able to do a full Peace Corps tour in China a year later and I found living there much more difficult.  Maybe not materially but emotionally.
I did safaris in both Kenya and Tanzania.  My favorite park was NgoroNgoro Crater in Tanzania.  It is located in the caldera of an extinct volcano.
We hung out in Arusha, Tanzania for a couple of weeks.  It is the launching point for trips up Kili but we mainly just drank.
Ethiopia, while it doesn't have the wildlife of some of it's neighbors, is a very special place culturally.  Like I said, it wasn't always easy (it wasn't always hard) but it left a permanent, positive mark on me despite some of the things I saw.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yeah, the kilt thread reminded that while I didn't wear a kilt in Africa, I picked up a couple of kangas and wore them around.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 10 2013, 12:37 pm)
Interesting quote from Darwin!  Amazing that such a careful observor and clear, revolutionary thinker could be so wrong, apparently based on cultural bias... I am going to pursue when and where Darwin was making that remark.

Check and see if Darwin ever made it to Egypt.  ???

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ May 10 2013, 12:43 pm)
As I think I shared before, I lived in Ethiopia for 8 months as a Peace Corps Volunteer before being evacuated because of a stupid war between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
I then got to travel to Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Zanzibar, and Egypt.  
While it wasn't easy, I pretty much fell in love with Africa.  Horrible warts and all.  I was able to do a full Peace Corps tour in China a year later and I found living there much more difficult.  Maybe not materially but emotionally.
I did safaris in both Kenya and Tanzania.  My favorite park was NgoroNgoro Crater in Tanzania.  It is located in the caldera of an extinct volcano.
We hung out in Arusha, Tanzania for a couple of weeks.  It is the launching point for trips up Kili but we mainly just drank.
Ethiopia, while it doesn't have the wildlife of some of it's neighbors, is a very special place culturally.  Like I said, it wasn't always easy (it wasn't always hard) but it left a permanent, positive mark on me despite some of the things I saw.

Luke:

I hope to visit Ethiopia some day.  I will remember to pepper you with questions when that day comes.   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops... double posted.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ethiopia has changed a lot since I have been there - as places tend to do.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ May 10 2013, 1:33 pm)
Ethiopia has changed a lot since I have been there - as places tend to do.

Sure, but hopefully not its history / heritage -- or the hospitality of its people (which I've heard so much about)...

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My time in Africa has been restricted to the western coast: Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, Cote d'Voire, Equatorial Guinea, and Gabon.

Mostly business trips of just a few days, but I have considerable time in Nigeria and Angola.  I have no desire to return to any of those places.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ May 10 2013, 3:45 pm)
My time in Africa has been restricted to the western coast: Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, Cote d'Voire, Equatorial Guinea, and Gabon.

Mostly business trips of just a few days, but I have considerable time in Nigeria and Angola.  I have no desire to return to any of those places.

Yeah, business trips suck.   :p

--------------
 Post Number: 26
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a pretty good visual, Ben.  Thanks.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 27
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 10 2013, 4:18 pm)

(wwwest @ May 10 2013, 12:37 pm)
Interesting quote from Darwin!  Amazing that such a careful observor and clear, revolutionary thinker could be so wrong, apparently based on cultural bias... I am going to pursue when and where Darwin was making that remark.

Check and see if Darwin ever made it to Egypt.  ???

The Darwin quote is even more ignorant when you realize that the most efficient sail of his time was the Lateen sail--invented by Arab sailors in East Africe for sailing in the Indian Ocean...

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 28
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ May 10 2013, 8:36 pm)
The Darwin quote is even more ignorant when you realize that the most efficient sail of his time was the Lateen sail--invented by Arab sailors in East Africe for sailing in the Indian Ocean...

Old idea which has since been debunked. Lateen sail was early Roman orgin in the Med.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateen#CITEREFWhitewright2009

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been to Africa twice - both in the Arab regions.  Marrakech in the early 70s (that was a real trip, so to speak) and Egypt in the early 90s which I rather enjoyed.  Last summer my wife spent a month in Ethiopia working at an orphanage our church sponsors and had a wonderful time as well as a bit of an eye opener.  She absolutely loved the people and can hardly wait to go back.  Just to underscore Ben's point, we were on the same continent but in totally different cultures and had totally different experiences, for  obvious reasons, I suppose.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 30
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FnAskippy @ May 09 2013, 5:26 pm)
. . . “Since the dawn of history the negro has owned the continent of Africa – rich beyond the dream of poet’s fancy, crunching acres of diamonds beneath his bare black feet. Yet he never picked one up from the dust until a white man showed to him its glittering light. His land swarmed with powerful and docile animals, yet he never dreamed a harness, cart, or sled. A hunter by necessity, he never made an axe, spear, or arrowhead worth preserving beyond the moment of its use. He lived as an ox, content to graze for an hour. In a land of stone and timber he never sawed a foot of lumber, carved a block, or built a house save of broken sticks and mud. With league on league of ocean strand and miles of inland seas, for four thousand years he watched their surface ripple under the wind, heard the thunder of the surf on his beach, the howl of the storm over his head, gazed on the dim blue horizon calling him to worlds that lie beyond, and yet he never dreamed a sail.”— Charles Darwin

That quote was not written by Charles Darwin — despite it being falsely attributed to him. Rather the quote is from a novel by a Ku Klux Klan novelist named Thomas Dixon, Jr. The name of the novel was The Clansman, published around 1905.

You can read the original passage from The Clansman at Project Gutenberg near the end of Book III, Chapter X, The Night Hawk.

If you find it easier, when you get to the Gutenberg page, simply search that page for the phrase, "dawn of history the negro has owned" and you'll find the origin of that quote. It is not from Darwin.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
37 replies since May 09 2013, 5:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How Big is Africa, Really?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions