2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: new from ohio, introduction< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Cmazzac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 1:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello, figured I would introduce myself since I will probably be asking a lot of questions on these forums and I'd appreciate any knowledge(backpacking related) I can get.  My wife and I have done two over nighters and are nowhere near experienced and I personally am interested in local knowledge around my parts Ohio/Indiana/Michigan/Kentucky etc...  As far as local trails and ways to make the experience more enjoyable.  I prefer to learn from others mistakes than my own so that's all I got for now, have a good day.

Curtis
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the forums. Do stay and ask questions. We may have had them before, but there can always be a new twist or angle emerge from the discussion.

Hints on surviving the forums: Many folks play prankster now and then. It keeps the place fun and entertaining. But if you put up with the wild sense of humor, you can find some people with good experience willing to share. Keep a thick skin, take everything with a grain of salt, and there is much to learn here. Stick around.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Travis, I do hope to make it up to your neck of the woods in the near future also, had a buddy who lived in Jackson hole and I never got to go out and visit.  Huge regret but there's always tomorrow, until I guess there's no more tomorrows....  Anyway.
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 6:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the insane asylum!  As Travis said, take a lot of it with a grain of salt but you will find some very knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to share their experiences and insight.  As for never making it out west, GO!  I made my fist trip to Wyoming in 2009 and kick myself for not having made it out there a lot sooner!

Now a pointer on staying in the good graces of the crowd... NEVER say a disparaging word about bacon.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the forums.  It's a pleasure to read a first post that doesn't have a link to the posters blog.

Don't get confused by the variety of opinions about backpacking matters.  It is mostly an art rather than a science.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy!

Please let us know your thoughts on:

bacon
beer
scotch
kilts
Brussels sprouts
 Post Number: 7
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Head North my friend. Northern Michigan has some of the best backpacking anywhere. And yes to Jackson Hole. Just do it!

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome.  Please tell us a bit more about where you are located. Red River Gorge is a good place to spend a weekend or 2, but I am not sure how far that is from you.

Lots of us have favorite backpacking spots in the West, like Teton Crest Trail or the Grand Canyon. As you get more comfortable with your skills, you may decide to head out to Glacier or the Winds. There are folks here with plenty of experience in those places, and some with errors you can learn from.

Gear is another thing we have varied options on, so if you need to upgrade at any time, please feel free to drop by that sub-forum.

Again, Welcome aboard.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome. We have a group from Grand Rapids MI heading to Hocking Hills next week end, beautiful area.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 10
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi there!

I'm originally from Ohio, the Columbus area (for 5 years) and then NW Ohio is where I grew up. I moved to Boulder, CO area about 5.5 years ago and haven't much looked back, except where family is concerned.

My favorite places to backpack in Ohio were Zaleski State Forest (Southern OH and good beginner trails), Shawnee State Forest (Southern Ohio and good intermediate trails, really hilly down there), Red River Gorge (KY), Dolly Sods (WV) and Cranberry Wilderness (WV). There really is a lot to offer in West Virginia and Kentucky. It just takes a little research. :)

Also, keep in mind for longer weekends, depending on where you are in Ohio, you're not far from the AT and places like Damascus, VA (and Grayson Highlands).

Welcome to the forums!
 Post Number: 11
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ May 10 2013, 7:55 am)
Welcome. We have a group from Grand Rapids MI heading to Hocking Hills next week end, beautiful area.

Hocking Hills is a fantastic dayhiking area. That was another area that helped me grow into backpacking. :)
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the fray. Tiptoe around Eyebp. Ever since that bear done mauled his father, he's been a bit cranky. Don't ask what kind of Pam to smear on your gun to bring to protect your unleashed dog and you should be alright.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow didn't expect the welcome committee its honestly pretty refreshing, thanks.  To answer some questions I am located near Dayton not far from Cincinnati, I eat bacon about 4 to 5 times a week, my wife just graduated school finally so a trip out west is in the near near future and my avatar is actually a picture of Rock House which is Hocking Hills state park's biggest cave, my favorite place to hike in Ohio its insane how clear the night skies are over there and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cmazzac @ May 10 2013, 8:18 am)
Wow didn't expect the welcome committee its honestly pretty refreshing, thanks.  To answer some questions I am located near Dayton not far from Cincinnati, I eat bacon about 4 to 5 times a week, my wife just graduated school finally so a trip out west is in the near near future and my avatar is actually a picture of Rock House which is Hocking Hills state park's biggest cave, my favorite place to hike in Ohio its insane how clear the night skies are over there and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

WHAT? Only four to five times a week...Shaky ground there mister....

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ohio is a good place to be from  :D
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, welcome to the madhouse. You've got the bacon question okay, now for pictures of you hiking in a kilt. . .

Seriously, we're all slightly nuts (some more than slightly; you will figure out which eventually) but it's a pretty fun crowd.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ May 10 2013, 1:05 pm)
Hey, welcome to the madhouse. You've got the bacon question okay, now for pictures of you hiking in a kilt. . .

Seriously, we're all slightly nuts (some more than slightly; you will figure out which eventually) but it's a pretty fun crowd.

I do not currently own a kilt but I hear they are handy in survival situations.
 Post Number: 18
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ May 10 2013, 11:21 am)
Ohio is a good place to be from  :D

I agree its just missing mountains and wildlife, even though they did spot a mountain lion in canton....  Seriously though Dayton metroparks just put a 22 mile backpacking trail in a couple years ago that has several "backcountry" campsites along the way and is well maintained and permits are free for now...  I would rather be in Appalachia though, love the smokies.
 Post Number: 20
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, someone from our area, we're north of Dayton. We cut our teeth on the Twin Valley trails, spent many Sundays preparing for hiking Yellowstone. I highly recommend Shawnee State Forest, although probably not at the height of summer. We went the first week of July a couple of years ago and it was the hardest fifty miles we've ever done. The best part is that we saw no one for three solid days and the forest is incredible. Worst part, we were picking ticks after the second day. The repellent did nothing for ticks.

If you've never been to The Red, go. Other than some of the shorter trails, we've hiked about everywhere you can and its gorgeous. Go over to a place called Torrent Falls and climb on their rock wall, via ferrata (sp?). You can repel there as well. They will provide all the gear and its a blast.

It may be close to you but go over to Charleston Falls, if you haven't already. Small, but some neat little trails. Bruckner Nature Center by West Milton is kinda neat. That's where I grew up as a kid and gained my love of the outdoors.

Ohio offers some great places to hike, you just have to look hard. :)

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ May 10 2013, 11:33 pm)
Hey, someone from our area, we're north of Dayton. We cut our teeth on the Twin Valley trails, spent many Sundays preparing for hiking Yellowstone. I highly recommend Shawnee State Forest, although probably not at the height of summer. We went the first week of July a couple of years ago and it was the hardest fifty miles we've ever done. The best part is that we saw no one for three solid days and the forest is incredible. Worst part, we were picking ticks after the second day. The repellent did nothing for ticks.

If you've never been to The Red, go. Other than some of the shorter trails, we've hiked about everywhere you can and its gorgeous. Go over to a place called Torrent Falls and climb on their rock wall, via ferrata (sp?). You can repel there as well. They will provide all the gear and its a blast.

It may be close to you but go over to Charleston Falls, if you haven't already. Small, but some neat little trails. Bruckner Nature Center by West Milton is kinda neat. That's where I grew up as a kid and gained my love of the outdoors.

Ohio offers some great places to hike, you just have to look hard. :)

Thanks for the advice, we are going out to TVT to do a little 10 mile in and out with my parents who decided to try out backpacking so we will see how that goes.  I have heard mixed opinions on Shawnee , I will have to try it for myself
 Post Number: 22
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome! You'll find lots of good information from lots of nice folks here.  Even though we're in Ohio there are some good hikes and backpacking within driving distance.  Nothing like out West but that's what makes going out West so special.

Red River Gorge, Zaleski, Shawnee and Hocking Hills all have some very nice trails.  Although one time I did get lost trying to drive out of Hocking Hills by myself.  Even Clifton Gorge and John Bryan are nice since I always go to Young's Dairy afterwards!
 Post Number: 23
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We always do the same thing after hiking at Yellow Springs, go to Young's or go to Peach's. The pita chip appetizer is fantastic and when washed down with a Oberon it makes for about the perfect day! Oh, and the used book lover in me means we usually stop by The Black Cat bookstore when they're open.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 24
jmitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome, Ohio has some very beautiful places, although I was more familiar with the northeast section of the state.

In addition to Red River Gorge, check out Big South Fork on the TN/KY border.  Awesome place.

PA has an extensive backpacking trail system:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestr....dex.htm
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmitch @ May 12 2013, 9:19 pm)
Welcome, Ohio has some very beautiful places, although I was more familiar with the northeast section of the state.

In addition to Red River Gorge, check out Big South Fork on the TN/KY border.  Awesome place.

PA has an extensive backpacking trail system:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestr....dex.htm

I actually just heard about big south fork recently, I will have to check that out.
 Post Number: 26
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome Pilgrim. All roads lead away from where you are. I spent a week in Dayton one day.  :D

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 13 2013, 8:29 am)
Welcome Pilgrim. All roads lead away from where you are. I spent a week in Dayton one day.  :D

I wish my wife saw things that way, but she doesn't want to go to far from home.  I've been working on that for some time now, and I think I'm making progress.
26 replies since May 10 2013, 1:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply new from ohio
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions